SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:34 PM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,330 Posts
Fyi, snowmobiles:

About the highest power to weight vehicle around. 150-175hp production sleds, ballpark weights 500-600lbs. Much more hp and less weight available for those willing to tinker, pay for it. Take one of those out in the snow and ice, on trails that are groomed between 8-10ft wide (you're 4ft), adjacent to trees (often on both sides of the trail), add some curves, or better yet, miles of S turns (twisties), then provide oncoming traffic of the same type you're on. Add white out snow conditions or other forms of poor visibility, and you have all the makings of a sport that's just about as exciting as you can get. For adrenaline junkies only.... -Al
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:26 PM
Joined Nov 2012
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Fyi, snowmobiles:

About the highest power to weight vehicle around. 150-175hp production sleds, ballpark weights 500-600lbs. Much more hp and less weight available for those willing to tinker, pay for it. Take one of those out in the snow and ice, on trails that are groomed between 8-10ft wide (you're 4ft), adjacent to trees (often on both sides of the trail), add some curves, or better yet, miles of S turns (twisties), then provide oncoming traffic of the same type you're on. Add white out snow conditions or other forms of poor visibility, and you have all the makings of a sport that's just about as exciting as you can get. For adrenaline junkies only.... -Al
06 machzx that's me
172hp from the factory
2 cyl 2 stroke yippee
Ok back to the thread
Machzx is offline Find More Posts by Machzx
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:40 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1 Posts
Hard Hand Start - DLE30

I had trouble getting mine to hand start, as well. Try putting a little gas right into the carburetor to purge the line, before hand starting.

Also, I sent mine in for repair. I was told that many of these engines are sold with the incorrect timing, so that may be part of the problem.

Additionally, if your Electronic Ignition is not firing consistently, it will allow the engine to start, but than suddenly just quit. Try using another EI, if possible. If it starts and runs, than you may very well have a bad EI. Good Luck!
gmmhastings is offline Find More Posts by gmmhastings
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:31 AM
United States, NC, Butner
Joined Jun 2011
190 Posts
It's been a while, but here's an update on this, finally.

I bought a new DLE30 Pre-Run from Redwing and swapped out the old DLE 30. Took it to the field the other day and was able to flip start the new one in a couple of flips. So now that I have the old one out of the plane I can pull the carb out and clean it up real good and replace the reeds.

I'll post my findings when I tear it down.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Ben
ognolman is offline Find More Posts by ognolman
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:33 AM
Illegitimi non carborundum
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2011
1,202 Posts
I can speak to stuff in the reed valve assembly - I had persistent problems with my DLE 20 last season.

When I first balanced the plane I had to epoxy some weights to the back of the firewall. Turns out some of the hardened epoxy broke off and got into a reed:

Mine never wanted to flip start the first time out either. Over the past few weeks I have installed a Bowman ring and lapped the reed and gasket surfaces. We'll see how it goes when the weather warms up a little and I start it up again.
grosbeak is offline Find More Posts by grosbeak
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:47 AM
Joined Jun 2011
190 Posts
That is excellent, grosbeak!! Thanks for that!!

Ben
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:59 PM
United States, CA, Santa Maria
Joined Jan 2012
112 Posts
love my DLE 30

she flip starts every time, however, very 1st flight of the morning i need to squirt a little fuel into the carb, then she will fire right up every time, just follow the starting procedure, " choke unit it pops, then open choke and it starts".. like a champ every time.. if you have a hard time getting her to idle down, try to adjust the low end needle 1/8 to 1/4 turn rich.

this is one of the easiest starting engines i have, but it took a while to learn the start up.
bandit357 is offline Find More Posts by bandit357
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:41 PM
Austria
Joined Apr 2010
11 Posts
True.I also have a ftl55 with a side carb,which has a chock linkage the wrong way around and looks silly with a wire sticking out the cowl.
I dont even use the chock, i just block the velocity stack with my finger,ign off,flip a few times until my finger gets wet with fuel.(a little drips out the carb)
Then ignition on,throttle on idle and it fires up real nice.
Not so easy with a dle rear carb,you gotta use the chock,tucked away in the fuse and all that
janshaz is offline Find More Posts by janshaz
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:51 PM
Joined Jun 2011
190 Posts
I've pulled the carb off of the DLE and the reeds look perfect. The exterior of the carb is a little dirty but not horrible. I've cleaned it up and re-installed everything. I'm going to solder the hole on the choke as soon as the iron heats up. I won't be able to test it out for a few days, since all my gear is in the trailer at the storage lot.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:00 AM
Cognito, Ergo Imbibo
Morgan Hill, CA
Joined Sep 2007
310 Posts
I would take a look at the fuel pump diaphram in the carb. I have an Evo 26 that was doing exactly what yours seems to be doing. It wasn't pulling fuel up from the tank for the longest time. It wouldn't pull up fuel unless I used the electric starter. I bought a kit at the local power equipment store & used just the new diaphram....the old one was way too stiff to do the job. With that 5 minute fix, it primes with a few flips...pops with the choke on...unchoke and it fires on one flip. If it runs the timing is probably OK. One other thought...DLE spark plugs are crap. Any plug can crack internaly & you'll lose spark under pressure...it will look normal when you hold it out of the engine & spin the prop, but under the pressure of combustion, a crack can open up and the spark will go to the shell of the plug rather than to the center electrode. It seems that for whatever reason, a lot of the DLE plugs shipped with new engines are cracked internally. Get a new NGK plug. I'm not sure on the 30cc, but it's probably a CM6.

Dan
old_dan is online now Find More Posts by old_dan
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:41 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,533 Posts
I would still do the reed block mod any ways.
Mine starts really well.
There is no need to solder anything.
When I start mine it is choke closed, WOT and flip.
She will pop and then die.
Close throttyle and open choke.
It usually takes only a couple of flips and I'm up and flying
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Mar 13, 2013, 02:52 PM
Joined Jun 2011
190 Posts
Haha! YES! She flip start just fine now! Two out of three DLE's are flipping perfectly. I haven't tried the DLE 55 in a while, but will probably try it this weekend.

Thanks for all the great ideas!

Ben
Old Apr 02, 2013, 01:20 PM
Joined Jun 2011
190 Posts
I just bought another DLE 30 and it flip starts fine. I now have three DLE 30s and one DLE 55, and all of them are flip starting.

The 55 was giving me tons of problems-- I bought it used and it fliped started a few times when I first got it then it refused to start at all. So I replaced it with a DA50. I thought the ignition had burned out on it (there were some frayed wires), but replacing the ignition didn't fix it. Cleaning the carb up was all it needed.

Now it runs like a champ.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 02:12 PM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
976 Posts
Good advice here.
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141
Old Apr 29, 2013, 08:33 AM
Illegitimi non carborundum
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2011
1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognolman View Post
That is excellent, grosbeak!! Thanks for that!!

Ben
My pleasure.

I finally had the plane out and running a while ago and it still wouldn't start the first time by hand flipping. I can remove the hatch to expose the fuel tank and lines but nothing was flowing until I put the starter to it.

I've soldered the choke hole - I'll report back when I've had a chance to try that mod at the field.

Before:

After:

grosbeak is offline Find More Posts by grosbeak