SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:10 AM
Joined Sep 2012
275 Posts
I flew mine in Big Bear CA, at 7000' msl 75 degrees F at 6.12kg flying weight and it struggled hard...I was embarrassed and was just hoping to get it back on the ground, you know its bad when your throttle stick is nearly full throttle to stop the decent. The only way I found I was comfortable flying it was unloading the 2x 8000's for 1x 5800.

Having told you of my experience I do believe a better set of props would certainly help out.
UAV.Pilot is offline Find More Posts by UAV.Pilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:17 AM
Joined Sep 2012
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmer View Post
I fly my hexa carbon frame with zenmuse but without landing gears.
Zero vibrations.
Total weight is 4,7kg with one 5000mah 6s and flight time 7 min.
Or with 2 lipos, total weight is 5,4kg and it can fly for 13-14 min.
... and landing at 20% battery remain.
For start I use a platform, for landing I mounted a very light weight hand-held on left copter arm, I take it easily and going down with motor stick, after 3 seconds copter will swtich off automatically!! Super easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF5S_...1&feature=plcp

Very Nice! Indeed...
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:20 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,672 Posts
There was talk about new props a few months back but nothing since. I think the GPS problem took more time than they anticipated.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:31 AM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman575 View Post
It's not another 900gr. You remove the old landing gear which weight about 500gr. So the retracts add about 350gr. It is quite something but not as bad as 900...
According to hex junky, the weight of the battery tray would also need to be subtracted, making the the retract unit even lighter than ~350 g.
AEMontoya is online now Find More Posts by AEMontoya
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:37 AM
Joined Sep 2012
275 Posts
I agree!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:39 AM
Romania, TM, Timisoara
Joined Mar 2008
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEMontoya View Post
According to hex junky, the weight of the battery tray would also need to be subtracted, making the the retract unit even lighter than ~350 g.
To be honest I did not weight my complete landgin gear with battery tray as i have everything mounted on it. I know that the complete landing gear is about 500. Might be more with battery tray. The main idea is that while the retracts add some weight it is not all that bad...
Besides we will only know the exact weight difference as soon as somebody get's his retracts. I am fighting with myself whether to get them or not... Not quite cheap but they are nice... If i get them i can write all the details next week
Iceman575 is offline Find More Posts by Iceman575
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:38 AM
Joined Apr 2012
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
My friend in CO flies at 6500' and has issues with the AUW at 7kg. Now I have flow at that altitude but not fully loaded with Z15, iOSD, vTx, 2x6S 5000mAh lipos, I just got my scale back from Tahoe and I am going to check the weight. I am not sure if have room for another 900g.
I would be interested to know, it's one reason to go with a single battery?, what is the weight of your 2 6s?. I am using a single maxamps which is around 1.2 kgs
flyingbiscuit1 is offline Find More Posts by flyingbiscuit1
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:06 AM
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jun 2011
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renricker7 View Post
as you might know, is it not the same to everyone ...

it depends on the position of the IMU where you mount your battery tray, the weight of your batteries and the position of the gimbal ...

it pretty much differ from copter to copter.

so, it might be better figure out where the COG is and to go from there

sorry not to be more of a help!

rené
Thanks for your reply.

I'm aware that the COG differs from Copter to Copter, but what is the most efficient way to get the Z-Value of the COG?
Button2011 is offline Find More Posts by Button2011
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:20 PM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Button2011 View Post
Thanks for your reply.

I'm aware that the COG differs from Copter to Copter, but what is the most efficient way to get the Z-Value of the COG?
Flip it on its side and do the same thing you would to get the cog with it flat.

If you have something connecting a top plate to a bottom I find getting a hook around that and moving it up and down as required is the easiest way.
Exploding Fist is offline Find More Posts by Exploding Fist
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:21 PM
Germany, SA, Halle Saale
Joined Nov 2012
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Button2011 View Post
Thanks for your reply.

you might find some help over here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11566

and here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11562

rené
renricker7 is offline Find More Posts by renricker7
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:57 PM
Danmark, Sjælland, Gørlev
Joined Jul 2008
204 Posts
I do remember something about the size/class of you SD card. If it is to small the camera have to work to mush with its own memory.

I think the manuel says something about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV.Pilot View Post
QUESTION FOR ALL THAT USE THE SONY NEX5N

Does anyone here see the over heat and their camera's shut down when recording video?

Mine does and I read all over the Net about this issue, this problem is what is holding me back from buying the Z-15 for Nex gimbal, and the GH2 has its own set of issues from what I read.
rsun77 is offline Find More Posts by rsun77
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:16 PM
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Apr 2008
1,183 Posts
I was wondering what would happen to the COG if the landing gear legs are uP?

Will it change?
If you hang the copter to its side with the legs extended the COG will be different than when the legs are retracted. Right?

Cheers
bcollydas is offline Find More Posts by bcollydas
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:24 PM
Germany, SA, Halle Saale
Joined Nov 2012
390 Posts
should be, but i wouldn´t worry to much abou it, cause it won´t change to much ...

rené
renricker7 is offline Find More Posts by renricker7
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:32 PM
Romania, TM, Timisoara
Joined Mar 2008
158 Posts
This whole COG issue took a much more serios turn than it should have. It is not vital for the system to have 100% accurate values. At least that is my experience. The Z axis i always guesstimate. And so far my S800 flies very well...
Iceman575 is offline Find More Posts by Iceman575
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:56 PM
Joined Sep 2012
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsun77 View Post
I do remember something about the size/class of you SD card. If it is to small the camera have to work to mush with its own memory.

I think the manuel says something about it.
THANK YOU, i have tried several sd cards, all class 10, now the latest one i just bought 32GB 45mbs class 10 Extreme, i was able to get 16 minutes before it got the over heat icon and shut down. This was in outside temps of 70 degrees F.

I just did the mod of removing the back sticker to reveal the vent holes behind the screen, it helped but still

My camera is a Brand New Nex 5N with the latest revision firmware.

I am ready to buy the z-15 gimbal but for this camera I am really concerned and would like to get this 5N figured out before i go any further...even tried calling sony..they were no help and just said send it in..