HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2014, 09:18 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,883 Posts
Fuselage: major repairs are complete - bottom is sheeted with 3/32" balsa and covered with new Monokote.
The forward edge of the interior fuse where cowl attaches needs a portion of a ply ring replaced and epoxied.
Bottom, interior of the cowl has been glassed. Interior cowl ring is ready to install with new standoffs for the Bigfoot Power 46. Exterior needs Bondo , sanding then repaint.

Wing tip profile has been rebuilt as best as I could figure and seems pretty close to the orig including the upturned tip.

All that remains is the Bondo exterior cowl repair, and new dummy engine. The RH wheel axle needs some straightening also, but all looks pretty good and close to flying status again.

ce
capteasy is online now Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2014, 09:35 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,883 Posts
I hope the thread isn't fading off here.....I'm still excited about this plane. For the most part all repairs are completed . I just need to mount the new dummy engine and cowl ring and he's ready for the air again. I'm curious if the wing tip repair will affect it. It was difficult to determine the profile but it looks pretty close to the other side.
Dick
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2014, 12:15 PM
Yes my name is Cessna.
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Mar 2010
162 Posts
I hope not also. My last mulligan died when I had 4 holds in a row. Sent my dx-9 in so it is working again. It is repairable but I have a back up in the box. I do not always post but do read the posts and fly mine ( when working). Nice plane, flys well, unique looking, good presence.
wcessna is offline Find More Posts by wcessna
Old Sep 01, 2014, 05:35 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,883 Posts
Not familiar with "Four holds...."what's that mean? Glad you have a back up in the box. I have another as well and even tempted to get one more just for extra parts if and when it's discontinued.

It has a certain style and presence that I didn't expect before building it.

You hit it on the head - "Nice plane, fly's well, unique looking, good presence. "

Dick
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2014, 06:17 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,883 Posts
MISTER MULLIGAN NEWS UPDATE!

Mister Mulligan repairs are completed and has been released for ground checks and taxi testing pending Wx clearance. Further information and photos will be forthcoming.\

ce
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2014, 08:58 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,883 Posts
The wind suddenly went calm early this eve andrushed out to the field with MM and some other planes.
I ended up flying my Hurricane and got some proud shots of MM. Taxi tests and maybe flight test next opportunity.

Hope you Iike the pics....

Dick
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by capteasy; Sep 03, 2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2014, 03:39 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,000 Posts
Nice repair work! I don't fly my MM much, too many other planes that fly fast and aerobatic ......... uhm .... and land a LOT easier. I land with a lot of precision, folks stop to watch my landings. Not trying to brag, just sayin'. So my hat is off to any of you that can land this critter on grass without a tip over at the end. That is all it does, just a slow tip over once the speed is slow enough that the elevator is not effective anymore. Just won't hold the tail down. No damage that way, just embarrassing to me.

But, as I said, GREAT REPAIR!

Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Sep 06, 2014, 09:52 PM
Yes my name is Cessna.
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Mar 2010
162 Posts
4 holds

Capteasy, I use spektrum gear and on most of the rcvrs you can retrieve the performance of the rcvr/transmitter after the flight with a logger. (As long as the rcvr has not lost power as the data goes away with the loss of power.) Essentially you look for frame loss which is the lack of a frame incoming to the rcvr from any of the antennas. Typically you should have less than 20 frame loss on a flight. The other info that is key is holds. A hold is when the rcvr misses 45 consecutive frames which translates to a second. So my MM went down because MM was not real high at the time and I got 4 holds in a row so I had no control of my plane for 4 seconds which is a little longer than it took it to hit the ground.

And BTW. Very nice repair. :-)
wcessna is offline Find More Posts by wcessna
Old Sep 06, 2014, 10:44 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,883 Posts
Well thanks fellas. It was a learning process la lot of things. I enjoy working with my hands and I had to get it flying again.
I really take a lot of pride in my landings and usually have more fun practicing them than anything else. So when my first landings with MM proved so perfect and scale needless to say I was both a little shocked and delighted especially considering what I seen and heard on the subject.

As far as the signal loss went like I mentioned earlier I think the cable from the primary to the satellite antenna was defective. I don't know anything about frame loss or holds but I guess that's something else I can learn.

I did some range and taxi testing today and everything seemed ok . But I want to do some more.The field was little rough due to recent rains pushing dead grass into small clumps and such.

Thanks,

ce
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2014, 03:46 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,883 Posts
Mister Mulligan Remaiden

Another range check out to 50 paces followed by few high speed taxi tests and I was satisfied to try it again.
Winds were about 5-10 with a 90 deg x-wind. All take offs, with about 70% power and half flaps were straight and scale. Climb outs and turns, reducing power to 1/2 throttle on downwind with and without 1/2 flaps were fairly S&L. Still some evidence of tendency to bank left as during first maiden flight.

Reducing power, with 1/2 flaps and turns to base and final were very stable and under complete control. The glide path was very stable all the way to short final, continuing throughout the landing phase and light touch downs.

Three take offs and three landings - all with 1/2 flaps were totally text book. I can't understand how this airplane suffered any negative remarks concerning it's landing qualities. Not to mention it has a very wide performance envelope considering the airframe design.

As an additional point, I'd like to mention that I think damage was fairly minimal despite the conditions of the the previous crash and should point to how well built this plane must be.

I'm Dick, people call me Dick - what's your name?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2014, 03:19 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,000 Posts
Still one wing seems heavy, eh? Captain Obvious just has to ask ............ did you do a lateral balance check? It might be actually heavy on one side and a bit-o-weight needed on opposite wing tip to laterally balance properly. I did not do that on my planes for the 1st couple of years that I flew, then I built/assembled one that mentioned lateral as well as CG type of balance. Checked all of my planes and found that several were one wing heavy. Fixed that and was able to remove most, if not all, aileron trim needed to fly level. Hate to admit it, but I had never heard of lateral balancing early in my flying.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Sep 09, 2014, 08:32 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,883 Posts
Hi Don,
No didn't do a lateral balance. I intended to, got sidetracked and done fergot.
Thanks for reminding me.
Dick
RCG Plus Member