HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2011, 05:44 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,370 Posts
Over the last couple of weeks when I have been not working on USS Long Beach I have been carrying on with some work on the tug fitting / gluing the lower decks and deck comings for the lower superstructure. Over the weekend I have done some more of the lower superstructure, I didn't draw a plan for the lower SS just made it up from a variety of big tug styles.. Now I just need to tidy it all up and make some doors and detail fittings...

Cheers Bruce
HeavyCruser9 is offline Find More Posts by HeavyCruser9
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 05:01 AM
Build, Fly, Rebuild!!
Australia, NSW, Lake Macquarie
Joined Dec 2011
251 Posts
How is the Tug progressing ?

Hi Bruce I noticed you haven't posted for awhile, was just wondering how you are going with the great looking tug boat and did you ever get around to making a mould of the hull as I have always wanted to build a salvage tug (since reading "Hungry as the Sea" by Wilbur Smith) But at the moment I am time poor (20 month old twins)
Regards Russel
Ghost who walks is offline Find More Posts by Ghost who walks
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2012, 02:46 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,370 Posts
G'day Russel,
I have been concentrating on building USS California CGN-36 at the moment! (In between long hours at work....) The tug's last run was at the TF72 regatta in Canberra (back in Dec!) I have only done some sanding of the decks and planning some adjustments 2 the motor mounts and actually got around to buying a Raboesch bowthruster for the tug! It just turned up last week in post! Now need 2 find time to fit it!!
Still plotting a tug hull mold I have the frame lines printed I just need 2 get em enlarged for the 90cm long tug hull (this equates to a 65m(ish) length tug in 1/72)
Might also do a smaller Harbour tug hull approx. 45cm long (not sure what its beam will be yet)

Cheers Bruce
Old Mar 03, 2012, 04:04 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,649 Posts

Envy!!! Very, very nice!
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2012, 05:03 AM
Aukra, Norway
Joined Aug 2010
461 Posts
wow. thats just... wow!
proteque is offline Find More Posts by proteque
Old Mar 05, 2012, 05:57 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,370 Posts
Thx fellas,
It was two days of really great running!! There are a heap more pix in the TF72 Update thread in docktalk.

Cheers Bruce
Old Mar 08, 2012, 07:35 PM
Build, Fly, Rebuild!!
Australia, NSW, Lake Macquarie
Joined Dec 2011
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyCruser9 View Post
G'day Russel,
I have been concentrating on building USS California CGN-36 at the moment! (In between long hours at work....) The tug's last run was at the TF72 regatta in Canberra (back in Dec!) I have only done some sanding of the decks and planning some adjustments 2 the motor mounts and actually got around to buying a Raboesch bowthruster for the tug! It just turned up last week in post! Now need 2 find time to fit it!!
Still plotting a tug hull mold I have the frame lines printed I just need 2 get em enlarged for the 90cm long tug hull (this equates to a 65m(ish) length tug in 1/72)
Might also do a smaller Harbour tug hull approx. 45cm long (not sure what its beam will be yet)

Cheers Bruce
Hi Bruce, I will be watching with interest the ongoing build of your tug, thanks for the reply.

Cheers Russel
Ghost who walks is offline Find More Posts by Ghost who walks
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2012, 07:01 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,370 Posts
G'day All...
Finally got around to drilling holes in the Titans hull for the bow thruster! Discovered she is pretty thick skinned!! about 5mm either side where I drilled thru!
Now I just have 2 glue the Bowthruster together and use some Fibreglass reinforced filller around the outlets.

Cheers Bruce
Old Mar 15, 2012, 07:54 AM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
United States, KY, Hanson
Joined May 2007
2,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyCruser9 View Post
G'day All...
Finally got around to drilling holes in the Titans hull for the bow thruster! Discovered she is pretty thick skinned!! about 5mm either side where I drilled thru!
Now I just have 2 glue the Bowthruster together and use some Fibreglass reinforced filller around the outlets.

Cheers Bruce
Sweet!
KFC is online now Find More Posts by KFC
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:57 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,370 Posts
Got the bow thruster all fitted and fibre glassed in on Sunday, now I am just waiting for a Micro viper 10 ESC to arrive for it and refitted the main motors with double uni joints to get rid of some alignment issues.
I also need to work out a permanent setup for the esc, and rx positions despite her being a meter long there is not a lot of free space within the hull!

Bruce
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:09 AM
Vlaardingen, The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2008
1,338 Posts
She's starting to look good.
Though I'm not sure if the shape of the bow is anywhere near correct.
It's not a nicely curved line going from the bow to the midship, it's an curve that goes bends in the wrong way.
Are you sure the real vessel has this bow shape?
Or have you designed her yourself?
I guys it'll be too late to do anything about it, but it troubles me, so I had to tell you my opinion...

Greetings Josse
tweety777 is offline Find More Posts by tweety777
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:51 AM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,181 Posts
I like this boat

Great job Bruce.
more coffee is offline Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:58 AM
Romania, HD, Sāntandrei
Joined Apr 2006
512 Posts
nice looking tug!
marinaru_ro is offline Find More Posts by marinaru_ro
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:59 AM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
912 Posts
Comin along nicely Bruce!
This one is going to look really good when done!
Gonna do a working winch with that?
Cheers
G-O
Guard-Officer is offline Find More Posts by Guard-Officer
Old Mar 19, 2012, 05:31 PM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweety777 View Post
She's starting to look good.
Though I'm not sure if the shape of the bow is anywhere near correct.
It's not a nicely curved line going from the bow to the midship, it's an curve that goes bends in the wrong way.
Are you sure the real vessel has this bow shape?
Or have you designed her yourself?
I guys it'll be too late to do anything about it, but it troubles me, so I had to tell you my opinion...

Greetings Josse
The bow ended up looking nothing like it was on the plan!! It was 'supposed' to be a bit sharper and less rounded( but it cuts thru the water nicely during trials) and the hull shape was a result of doing it cheaply!! It looks ok on the water... LOL

Bruce