HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2014, 04:46 AM
AMA # 75962
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,068 Posts
Hi drambuidhe,

I do use corrosion X,

I read about it six or seven years ago and how it protected the electronics and the motor. I've been flying my 3D Sniper off of water for at least 5 years and I use Corrosion X on it and all of my float planes that aren't using coated Rx's and ESC'S.

Now some of the float planes come equipped with coated Rx's, coated ESC's and waterproof servo's.

I just bought a new Rx for my Tidewater (I only use Spektrum Rx's or the older Spektrum compatible JR Rx's) and decided to get one that wasn't coated, as there's a $20.00 difference in price and I can dunk it in corrosion X which I'd already purchased several years ago.

I coat the Motor, ESC, and Rx with corrosion X. I take the top off of the servo's and pack them with servo grease, then tape them with boat tape. So far I've never had a problem with anything.

It's going to be awhile before I get to maiden the TC, we don't go over to the Lake Cabin until spring, but if we get any snow here, I might take it out to the club flying field and maiden it off of the snow. If I do, I'll try to get some video of it.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:37 AM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Nov 2009
275 Posts
The E-Flite T-Cart 450 made an appearance for me last Christmas. Wife was pressuring me to come up with something. and this is what I thought of on the spur of the moment. I had read about it's popularity, and knew it was still on the market after several years, so I thought it might be a good sport flyer. I had just finished building the PA-20 10E, and this looked to be very similar.

It turned out to be quite similar in it's construction: A mixed bag, with some nice features, and also a few regrettable ones. It actually went together in much less time than the Piper.

The Good:

Just like it's Piper brother, it's a great looking model when complete. The glass components, cowl and pants, were very nicely done (pants required a bit of shaping at the openings). The fuselage striping was by far better aligned than that on the Piper. Windows were an excellent fit. No mods were required to get proper wing and empennage alignment. I really liked the adjustable motor box attachment fittings.

The Not So Good:

The wood structure is so light that it breaks at the slightest provocation. In fact, the horizontal plate running through the cockpit was cracked and broken out of the box, in spite of the fact that there didn't seem to have been any bad handling during shipping.

The covering was quite saggy all over. Much more so than the Piper.

Strut mounting holes (if there were any) were all covered over, and had to be located or created.

The kit's mini servo control rod fittings, which are a nightmare to install even using using a quality product, were totally unusable. It required several attempted installs and removals before realizing that the locking screws just would not screw into the barrel bodies. I had to go to my parts supply for substitutes.

There is one completely unforgivable engineering boondoggle which has not been remedied, even after several years. The S-curves bent into both the elevator and rudder control rod sheaths at the back reaches of the fuselage create friction that is far too great for the likes of the 9 gram (or similar) servos that most builders will use here. I wouldn't want to subject ANY size servo to the stress!

The battery "compartment" seems an afterthought. No large, heavy LIPO is likely to stay obediently in place during flight without some sort of simple mod that serves to help restrain it. At the very least, a plate of some sort needs to be added to the existing flimsy structure. I tried to go with my usual method of a couple of segments of Velcro and an added tray. Unfortunately, after even a simple Balsa tray is added, the battery doesn't have enough space to be lifted off the Velcro tapes for removal. I ended up using one of the included Velcro straps in conjunction with a restraining tray. Time will tell here.

There were a few other minor nits to pick. Typical annoyances that serve to challenge one's ingenuity, and/or extend the build time. Bottom line is that I don't think I would pay any more for this model if the price were any higher.

My build emphasized light weight, with the goal of achieving scale-like performance and limited sport aerobatics, while operating at 7000' MSL. I am partially blind, have only a couple years experience, and I'm old, and much less responsive than I once was. A model this size can end up being really speedy if built beefy. Too much for this old duffer to manage. My final empty weight was 26.3 oz's, using lightweight components, and an Emax GT2215/09 1180kv motor. I will be flying with 3S 1800 LIPOs. I also substituted softer main wheels to ease the bounce.

The model and a couple of the mods are posted here. I haven't maidened this or the Piper at present, as I spent most of the last year blind in one eye and recovering from two surgeries.
wmetcalf is offline Find More Posts by wmetcalf
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:41 AM
Mile High Club
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2013
165 Posts
Nice work wmetcalf! I especially like the magnetic hatch mod.
RCcolorado is offline Find More Posts by RCcolorado
Old Feb 10, 2015, 04:53 PM
AMA # 75962
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,068 Posts
Nice looking TC, wmetcalf. Hope the maiden goes well.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Old Feb 10, 2015, 06:17 PM
United States, WV, Salem
Joined Mar 2006
158 Posts
Met calf

That is a sweet looking t-craft What did you use for the screen on your cowl ?

Scott
baddley is offline Find More Posts by baddley
Old Feb 10, 2015, 07:54 PM
Just having fun
United States, KY, Hopkinsville
Joined Feb 2008
2,131 Posts
Really nice looking build and some nice mods, wmetcalf. Good, concise pros and cons. The only addition I would suggest is a wood prop. This is just my opinion, but I think the TC looks really good with a wood prop.

I think you are going to love this plane for both scale and sport flight. This baby just looks gorgeous in the air.

Best wishes on the maiden.

Freddy
Fredriksson is offline Find More Posts by Fredriksson
Old Feb 11, 2015, 12:19 AM
Joined Nov 2009
275 Posts
Thanks guys. The screens are just pieces of fiberglass screen material with some hot glue holding them in place.
Old Mar 02, 2015, 12:24 PM
United States, CA, Newark
Joined Jun 2013
9 Posts
About to purchase one... what do I need to know?

Hi Guys,

I'm about to pick up a Taylorcraft (used), just wondering what is the consensus from these 333 pages about what I need to know and/or if any flaws needs to be fixed/reinforced/modified, etc so that this bird is ready to go?

Thanks a lot,
Mike
mm51 is online now Find More Posts by mm51
Old Mar 02, 2015, 12:55 PM
United States, IL, Waterloo
Joined Dec 2007
61 Posts
Mike, are you looking for one or found one? I have one that's built, minus electronics if you interested.
WingingIt74 is offline Find More Posts by WingingIt74
Old Mar 02, 2015, 03:37 PM
Joined Jun 2013
9 Posts
Thanks, but I have found one locally. Just need to know of any potential issues with the plane.
Thanks,
Mike
Old Mar 02, 2015, 05:33 PM
United States, WV, Salem
Joined Mar 2006
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm51 View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm about to pick up a Taylorcraft (used), just wondering what is the consensus from these 333 pages about what I need to know and/or if any flaws needs to be fixed/reinforced/modified, etc so that this bird is ready to go?

Thanks a lot,
Mike

This plane is built very strong all around and looks nice in the air. You may consider beefing up the landing gear a little bit and also were the wheel fairings go onto the struts you will have to drill holes in the gear for it.. Also if you have metal gear servos lying around I would use those I would use those don't ask me how I know This plane flies very nice and is well mannered, I am sure you will be very pleased once you get her in the air

Scott
baddley is offline Find More Posts by baddley
Old Mar 02, 2015, 08:21 PM
Just having fun
United States, KY, Hopkinsville
Joined Feb 2008
2,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm51 View Post
Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot,
Mike
You are about to pick up a very nice flying plane and one that is gorgeous (my opinion) flying, taxiing, and just sitting or hanging.

About the only thing that I did to my plane was to add additional CA to all the joints in the motor box area and some gorilla glue in the bottom of the plane where the landing gear are fastened.

Best wishes. At least one picture is mandatory.

Freddy
Fredriksson is offline Find More Posts by Fredriksson
Old Mar 03, 2015, 07:58 AM
Central Scrutinizer
United States, MA
Joined Dec 2012
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredriksson View Post

Best wishes. At least one picture is mandatory.

Freddy
Hopefully we will see mm51's pictures soon. Meanwhile here's mine. Come on spring!
cwindram is offline Find More Posts by cwindram
Old Mar 03, 2015, 09:23 AM
Joined Nov 2009
275 Posts
I did beef up the gear support areas of mine with some wood gussets. The hatch I constructed on the bottom makes this a bit easier to do. 9 gram servos should be fine if you eliminate those two high-friction bends in the tail.
Old Mar 04, 2015, 01:49 AM
Joined Jun 2013
9 Posts
OK, sounds good. Thanks a lot guys. I can't wait to pick it up tomorrow!

Happy flying,
Mike