HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:34 AM
Isle of Man
Joined Apr 2012
1,319 Posts
No GP4 yet but my T2d carries both my Hero 960 and my GP3 without any changes in parameters, just have the gimbal rebalanced with 2 counterweights for the 960 and a tickle with a milling tool to ease clearance on mounting the 960. Works ace.
jhkiom is offline Find More Posts by jhkiom
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2015, 08:06 PM
Mastering the basics
United States, MD, Havre De Grace
Joined Feb 2014
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhkiom View Post
Sorry for the delay in replying, rather than move the motors at this stage (it's not easy and the roll motor often suffers damage in the process of removing it) try to swap the motor plugs and rotate the IMU by 90 degrees, hold it in place with masking tape.

You will need to recalibrate but that should reorientate itself and that way if the fault stays with the motor, it a faulty motor and if it stays with controller channel then it's a board/control issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2160 View Post
Yeah that is a bummer. One thing I forgot to ask, do you have anything plugged into the terminals that control roll and pitch via a normal receiver? Are all 6 pins straight? IE not shorting with each other?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhkiom View Post
Did you ever solve this?

Have you tried swapping the motor plugs and rotating the imu by 90 degrees, and recalibrate. This should allow the gimbal to still work ok but by swapping the motors if the fault stays with the motor then its the motor, or if it stays with the axis then its a control issue.

I know it's been a while but I wanted to give you guys an update on my gimbal issue. After about a month of troubleshooting, buying spare parts, etc... I decided to buy a new control board. Well.. That was the fix.

Long story short, the gimbal showed up at my door with an inoperable control board from Hobbyking. All the troubleshooting in the world wouldn't have fixed it. It needed a new control board from the moment it arrived at my doorstep.
Deserteagle83 is online now Find More Posts by Deserteagle83
Last edited by Deserteagle83; Feb 23, 2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:02 PM
Indianapolis
Joined Aug 2005
44 Posts
Gimbal jitters on steep roll

My Tarot gimbal operates great except in a right roll of about 40deg or more it jitters, if i roll past that, the gimbal goes crazy and flips about 90deg. Rolling left past 45deg it operates fine.
I've loaded firmware 1.5 and calibrated the sensors. I've played with the Roll Gains and can't get rid of the jitters.
The gimbal is installed on a QAV400.
Any help is appreciated!!
Phil
BOILER1 is offline Find More Posts by BOILER1
Old Feb 23, 2015, 05:59 AM
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom, Blackpool
Joined Aug 2011
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOILER1 View Post
My Tarot gimbal operates great except in a right roll of about 40deg or more it jitters, if i roll past that, the gimbal goes crazy and flips about 90deg. Rolling left past 45deg it operates fine.
I've loaded firmware 1.5 and calibrated the sensors. I've played with the Roll Gains and can't get rid of the jitters.
Phil
Are you sure that during a right roll that none of the cables are becoming tight or potentially catching on anything? That usually causes problems like you are experiencing.
I'm assuming that you also have tried it while holding the bird and tilting it as in a roll?, then you could see if anything is catching.
Another thing is to get perfect static balance of the camera in the gimbal. Perhaps your camera's balance is biased to the left, so on a right roll it becomes unbalanced and the motors are continually trying to rectify it?
Other than that I could only think for you to make sure that there is not too much down-drought from the rotors catching the gimbal while on a right roll.
Best of luck, Mike.
modea2 is offline Find More Posts by modea2
Old Feb 23, 2015, 06:52 AM
Isle of Man
Joined Apr 2012
1,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOILER1 View Post
Phil
Is is causing problems on the bench on in actual flight conditions?

Many things exhibited on the bench will simply never occur in actual flight so it may be a bit of a red herring if everything else is ok.
jhkiom is offline Find More Posts by jhkiom
Old Feb 23, 2015, 03:21 PM
Brazil, AL, Maceió
Joined Mar 2012
520 Posts
Guys, a strange thing is happening with my tarot gimbal... when I simply connect a wire to the T connector, the blue led starts blinking as if a receiver is controlling it and the tilt motor starts moving randomly. But the wire is not connected to the receiver. When I disconnect the wire, the blue led turns solid and the gimbal works normally, the tilt motor stabilizes horizontally.

What could be happening? The gimbal was working normally until now. I checked the gimbal connectors for any possible shorts, cleaned them with contact cleaner, but the problem persists.

Edit: Ok, I found the problem... the ground connector was loose, so I was having intermittent glitches. Replaced the ground wire and the issue is solved. Sorry for bothering you guys! ;-)
alsoares is offline Find More Posts by alsoares
Last edited by alsoares; Feb 26, 2015 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Found the problem
Old Feb 24, 2015, 07:28 AM
Joined Feb 2015
1 Posts
Hi, guys. I'm new here and looking for a solution, hope you can help shed some light on me.

I just recently bought the T-2D gimbal, and when I have connected it to the PC via USB, when I set initial tilt angle and then press Enter to confirm, as a response it shows in the bottom smth like ?????! instead of Initial tilt angle set successfully.

Have you seen this issue? Cannot really find the cause for this one, I had an older T-2D that didn't have this problem (this one has 1.5v)

Edit: Forgot to mention, the number is saved in the config file, but no result on gimbal tilt angle. If I put in config -300, in UI it shows -30 etc. But no effect, tried different values.
para_edge is offline Find More Posts by para_edge
Last edited by para_edge; Feb 24, 2015 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:09 AM
Joined Jun 2014
72 Posts
Gimbal control

I would like to setup a 3 way switch on my DX9 to (0) use my night control knob, (1) to put the gimbal viewing straight ahead, (2) to put the gimbal viewing straight down. How to I configure this on my TX or is it not possible?
headviking is offline Find More Posts by headviking
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:40 PM
Free fall is not free
United States, LA, Baton Rouge
Joined Aug 2014
638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headviking View Post
I would like to setup a 3 way switch on my DX9 to (0) use my night control knob, (1) to put the gimbal viewing straight ahead, (2) to put the gimbal viewing straight down. How to I configure this on my TX or is it not possible?
With a 3 way switch you can set up the gimbal in stick rate mode. Center is off so to speak. Up would tilt up, down would tilt down. You could stop it where you want by moving the switch.

With Taranis you could set the positions, but I am not familiar with the DX9
FunN4Lo is online now Find More Posts by FunN4Lo
Old Feb 26, 2015, 07:26 AM
United States, MA, Worcester
Joined Feb 2013
997 Posts
On the DX9 you would set up the right knob or one of the rear sliders to control the tilt channel and set the gimbal to position mode or connect the mode switch to another channel on the radio to allow you to switch between position and rate modes. You DO need to know how to run your DX9, however (it's a pretty steep learning curve).
ST_Bob is offline Find More Posts by ST_Bob
Old Feb 28, 2015, 03:23 PM
Joined Jun 2014
72 Posts
The learning curve is steep. I have been getting some good advice and assistance from "freechip" here on RCG.

Thanks
headviking is offline Find More Posts by headviking
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by headviking; Feb 28, 2015 at 03:45 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 03:44 PM
Ireland
Joined Mar 2013
4,380 Posts
Freechip knows more about spektrum than most...great guy
eirlink is offline Find More Posts by eirlink
Old Feb 28, 2015, 07:43 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Oct 2013
15 Posts
I maxed out all the channels on my DX9 (with an AR8000 rx) so I fly my F550 with Tarot T2d with a seperate receiver and transmitter for the gimbal. It's more precise moving the gimbal with sticks and if there is no assistant to operate it I just set the sticks to the up or down position (according to the shot I'm getting) and pan by just turning the gimbal transmitter on and off. If the gimbal transmitter is never turned on the gimbal just operates normally during a flight.
TeamCactus is offline Find More Posts by TeamCactus