HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 24, 2014, 10:31 AM
I can fix that.
United States, PA, Mountain Top
Joined May 2006
297 Posts
Does anyone have good BLHeli 12.2 params for the HH blh3327 motor and xp3a esc? I put this setup on the HobbyZone Sport Cub. Without the gear box, the motor starts and stops fine without issue. When meshed with the gear box, I sometimes get the screech of the motor not starting. Giving the propeller a little spin first gets it going fine. Once running it is fine. The only issue I have is with the startup. If I move the throttle up slowly from zero, it usually starts fine as well.

Thanks!
solomonx is online now Find More Posts by solomonx
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2014, 10:39 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
7,011 Posts
Oops...misread your question.

Which firmware are you using. Multirotor code or Tail?

Try the tail code if you haven't already. It's the most basic and applicable to the needs of a airplane.

It was developed for the brushless tail motor of a CP heli. So the response is instant.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Last edited by Daryoon; Dec 24, 2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 12:52 PM
I can fix that.
Joined May 2006
297 Posts
I'm using the multirotor version. I use that on a lot of blue series 12a esc's and small high kv motors and it works great!

My only problem is the startup. Once it's spinning everything is fine. The throttle response and power is good and never loses sync. I'm not sure what to adjust so I don't screw anything else up.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 01:00 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
7,011 Posts
The ULTIMATE UM 1s BL Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomonx View Post
I'm not sure what to adjust so I don't screw anything else up.

I just told you what to try.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Last edited by Daryoon; Dec 24, 2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 01:15 PM
I can fix that.
Joined May 2006
297 Posts
Thanks, I'll try the tail code.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 01:52 AM
I can fix that.
Joined May 2006
297 Posts
Tail code didn't really work. It would sometimes stall and screech upon initial startup. Also, once spinning, the motor wouldn't shut down.
I put the multirotor code back on and played with the startup power - still got several non starts. What finally worked was setting the startup method from direct to stepped. Now it starts every time. Not as smooth, but reliably.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:08 PM
Technomancer
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
3,008 Posts
Hi guys, can somebody please help me

This is what I have assembled so far.

I intend on running a nCPX BL motor off of a YEP7a, but on an airplane and using the brushed output of a built in ESC for signal.

What parameters do I need to change in the BLHeli Suite? Should I try the tail or multirotor code?

My goal is to free up a channel on my RX because I currently have to mix throttle to flaps and plug my ESC into the flap channel.
valiantGLX is online now Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Feb 05, 2015, 05:19 PM
Joined Oct 2014
19 Posts
Does anyone know if I get any generic ESC with BLHeli firmware on it that it will understand the brushed throttle signal from my Spektrum UMX receiver brick? I have the SPMA3175 brick from the Hobbyzone Sport Cub S and the brick cannot be programmed to output a brushless signal.

I've read that some ESCs with BLHeli firmware can take the brushed signal as throttle input but I don't know which ESC to get.

Thanks in advance for any help!
marblekit is offline Find More Posts by marblekit
Old Feb 05, 2015, 06:14 PM
Phoenix,Arizona, United States
Joined Jun 2002
4,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marblekit View Post
Does anyone know if I get any generic ESC with BLHeli firmware on it that it will understand the brushed throttle signal from my Spektrum UMX receiver brick? I have the SPMA3175 brick from the Hobbyzone Sport Cub S and the brick cannot be programmed to output a brushless signal.

I've read that some ESCs with BLHeli firmware can take the brushed signal as throttle input but I don't know which ESC to get.

Thanks in advance for any help!
They all learn the signal and adjust to it, but you might have to play with the settings depending on if the brushed esc outputs pwm to the positive or negative lead, and sometimes the brushed output can be a little dirty (which results in bad throttle linearity), so you have to either add a resistor between the motor leads to clean it up, or you need to grab the signal on the board before it gets to the fet, or it can be as simple as lowering the high throttle travel adjust in the TX to make full stick=full throttle.
Dylwad is online now Find More Posts by Dylwad
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:07 PM
United States, MD, California
Joined Jan 2014
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
Hi guys, can somebody please help me

This is what I have assembled so far.

I intend on running a nCPX BL motor off of a YEP7a, but on an airplane and using the brushed output of a built in ESC for signal.

What parameters do I need to change in the BLHeli Suite? Should I try the tail or multirotor code?

My goal is to free up a channel on my RX because I currently have to mix throttle to flaps and plug my ESC into the flap channel.
Hey Valiant, did you have any luck flashing the YEP7A with BLHeli?

It looks like we have the same flashing set up but, so far, i've yet to drag myself back to the bench to try it. I'm very interested in knowing how you got on.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Woody
WoodyInMD is offline Find More Posts by WoodyInMD
Old Feb 10, 2015, 08:07 PM
Technomancer
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
3,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyInMD View Post
Hey Valiant, did you have any luck flashing the YEP7A with BLHeli?

It looks like we have the same flashing set up but, so far, i've yet to drag myself back to the bench to try it. I'm very interested in knowing how you got on.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Woody
I'm more or less in the same boat, I rigged everything up but I haven't tried flashing it yet.

BLHeli Suite seems pretty complex and daunting to use if you don't know what you're doing
valiantGLX is online now Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:34 PM
Joined Jun 2002
4,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
I'm more or less in the same boat, I rigged everything up but I haven't tried flashing it yet.

BLHeli Suite seems pretty complex and daunting to use if you don't know what you're doing
Its actually very simple, a few button presses, and select the right ESC in the drop down menu, takes all of 10 seconds. Its even easier to update settings after it has been flashed.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:51 AM
Joined Oct 2014
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylwad View Post
They all learn the signal and adjust to it, but you might have to play with the settings depending on if the brushed esc outputs pwm to the positive or negative lead, and sometimes the brushed output can be a little dirty (which results in bad throttle linearity), so you have to either add a resistor between the motor leads to clean it up, or you need to grab the signal on the board before it gets to the fet, or it can be as simple as lowering the high throttle travel adjust in the TX to make full stick=full throttle.
Where exactly do you add a resistor and of what size? Does "between the motor leads" mean between the positive and negative signal of the brushed motor output? What would be the best way to find the throttle signal on the board? Thanks...
marblekit is offline Find More Posts by marblekit
Old Feb 22, 2015, 01:31 PM
Joined Jun 2002
4,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marblekit View Post
Where exactly do you add a resistor and of what size? Does "between the motor leads" mean between the positive and negative signal of the brushed motor output? What would be the best way to find the throttle signal on the board? Thanks...
Yes, between the positive and negative motor outputs. For 1s stuff we usually used a 1000 ohm, but anything from 100 to 10k will have an effect.

brushed motor fets are usually pretty simple, they have an input "source", output "drain" and signal input, or gate. The input will be either positive or negative battery voltage, output goes to the motor, gate will trace back to the mcu, with some resistors and caps, and sometimes a signal inverter. you follow the trace back to the mcu and pick up signal there, which should be a clean pwm at battery voltage from 0 to 100% duty cycle corresponding to the throttle channel. The fet sort of amplifies this pwm signal which switches power to the motor, regulating the speed.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=416851