Old Nov 13, 2007, 06:32 PM
Find More Posts by steve crewdog
Old Tyme Electric
Joined Mar 2005
671 Posts
Discussion
Proctor Antic e-conversion: motor/battery compartment details

Hi all,

Back in 2005 while recovering from triple knee surgery I was able to complete construction of a Proctor Antic, and did it as an e-conversion. Thayer and FlyRC magazine kindly ran it as an article in the AirShow section of the magazine in January 2006.

Recently I had a request for some more detailed photos of the conversion. Instead of emailing them I thought I'd share them with everyone.

Here's the Antic, hanging on the wall, waiting to be finished...
steve crewdog is offline Find More Posts by steve crewdog
Last edited by steve crewdog; Nov 14, 2007 at 12:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2007, 06:38 PM
Old Tyme Electric
Joined Mar 2005
671 Posts
The first thing I did was to build a test nose, based on the design of the glo powered Antic. This nose (quickly dubbed the "Anteater nose") was simple slab construction and proved my choice of power and battery selection.

It was designed to fit into the same bolt holes as the glo engine used, so if I wanted to I could always switch back and forth between a glo engine or an electric motor. Note the down and right thrust that was designed in.

It worked perfectly, but left something to be desired in the looks category.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 06:45 PM
Old Tyme Electric
Joined Mar 2005
671 Posts
After the tests proved it would work, I set about making it right.

On my workbench is a Proctor Jenny kit, and I decided to make it look as if the builder had bashed a Jenny nose with the Antic.

The sides are made out of 1/8" ply and the firewall is 3/16" ply. As with the Anteater nose, this nose also fits into the same holes as the glo engine mount.

I made a hatch for access to the batteries from the top, and used Proctor's OX-5 kit as an engine with 1/64" ply across the top. It's a bit too big but looks fine enough. Note the cutouts in the hatch frame for the firewall.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 06:52 PM
Old Tyme Electric
Joined Mar 2005
671 Posts
The firewall had a large cutout made into it for the batteries.

There's velcro on the bottom, and velcro straps hold the batteries in place. I also use a couple pieces of 3/8" balsa stock as spacers between the batteries for cooling.

The hatch has 2 leather shoelaces glued across the top, and socket screws hold them and the hatch in place.

The front of the cowl is brass colored screen door material, glued in place. Note the holes in the firewall for air into the battery compartment for cooling.

I cut and hollowed out some 1/4" dowel to simulate louvers, and framed a simulated access hatch on both sides. The hinges came from a doll house supply store and just add a little touch.

The wire on the bottom left side of the cowling is a "shunt" to keep the circuit dead until I am ready to fly. It's something I want to get back to and make it look better.
Last edited by steve crewdog; Nov 14, 2007 at 12:34 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 07:04 PM
Old Tyme Electric
Joined Mar 2005
671 Posts
The end result is a graceful piece of flying machinery.

MANY thanks to Joe & Gary of Proctor Enterprises, who define the phrase "Class Act". And to Thayer, who kept kicking my tush until I finished. In flight photos by John Vanderhage.

Specs: AXI 4120/18 motor, APC 13/6.5 prop, Jeti Opto 70 Plus speed control, Kokam 6s 2100 mAh Lipo batteries. WOT 35 amps, 650 watts, 5.3 w/oz, 6 w/lb.

With a little bit of a dive she loops and rolls with no problems, just like a regular Antic. The power system is almost 2 years old so I should upgrade the batteries, but they've worked fine so.....

Short video is here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...11#post8544718
Last edited by steve crewdog; Nov 14, 2007 at 12:35 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2013, 09:10 PM
Find More Posts by Swashmix
Dundas, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2004
51 Posts
Antic on floats - e-conversion

I have been pondering this for a long time as I have an Antic that has been hanging in my basement for years. I am going to put it together and check it's integrity and trueness.
Any thoughts for a decent power system for flying off water?
Swashmix is offline Find More Posts by Swashmix
Old Aug 05, 2013, 09:51 PM
Find More Posts by DavidN
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
3,042 Posts
Proctor lists the weight with floats as 8.5 lb. electrifying may add 12 oz as you can't really lighten it at this stage. http://www.proctor-enterprises.com/p...t_seaplane.htm
Power 60 or equivalent is fine.
This motor was co-engineered with Scorpion & is on sale awaiting the new series. I paid around $15 for shipping 3 weeks ago. It moves my Astro Hog with authority on 15x10. For your application 16 x 8 prop probably.
http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-zs402...or-p-4706.html
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Last edited by DavidN; Aug 06, 2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old Aug 06, 2013, 01:43 AM
Find More Posts by Thayer
Owner - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,462 Posts
That 8.5 pounds is for the Antic biplane on floats, not the Antic monoplane converted. I wouldn't worry much about the weight though. The Antic's have quite a bit of useful load.

Thayer
Thayer is offline Find More Posts by Thayer
Old Nov 05, 2013, 08:51 PM
Find More Posts by HaventFlownSince2014
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
15,848 Posts
beautiful job steve!
HaventFlownSince2014 is online now Find More Posts by HaventFlownSince2014
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Giant 66% Cub
Old Aug 01, 2015, 09:36 AM
Find More Posts by scoobiemario
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined Jan 2011
1,255 Posts
Excellent work. This thread popped up in perfect time. I am in process of converting antic to electron propulsion
I already have designed nose conversion, but after reading this I will make small change. I was going to load batteries from the bottom. I'll think about this one more time. Loading from the top is more convenient.
My nose will be little bit tapered too.
I will use same dummy engine as you. It looks great.
scoobiemario is offline Find More Posts by scoobiemario
Old Yesterday, 11:33 PM
Old Tyme Electric
Joined Mar 2005
671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobiemario View Post
Excellent work. This thread popped up in perfect time. I am in process of converting antic to electron propulsion
I already have designed nose conversion, but after reading this I will make small change. I was going to load batteries from the bottom. I'll think about this one more time. Loading from the top is more convenient.
My nose will be little bit tapered too.
I will use same dummy engine as you. It lks great.
Make sure you start a thread with pics, I'd like to watch your progress. And I'll bet I'm not the only one.
Old Today, 12:22 AM
Find More Posts by HaventFlownSince2014
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
15,848 Posts
+1
HaventFlownSince2014 is online now Find More Posts by HaventFlownSince2014
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Giant 66% Cub