New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:29 AM
Find More Posts by apriliamille
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2008
288 Posts
hello,
well guess ill finally post up on my progress. thanks to deadstickduck and his LHS i was able to get a Siren in during this out of stock from gp/hobbico nightmare (yeah i went there pointing at you gp/hobbico, you should have heeded my phone call to your ordering manager as your losing money during prime fly season)

my build is going slow, been so busy with work and the nightmare 70 hour work weeks but i am between jobs and have a week off so i started on my siren and kunai in full force

my 5065mg servos are mounted, the tail i put wood on the sides of the servo, gooped it in and then put in a screw through the carbon into the wood to help hold it since i saw somewhere that there is flex and servo stationary issues, i went and ordered in some sullivan 2-56 and steel clevices as i think that plastic clevice stuff provided is utter junk. im putting the aileron control horns in this afternoon and will probably do sullivan clevice up there as well
i bound and calibrated and set up a scorpion 60 amp to mvvs 4.6 840 motor (the motor came from esprit and it is actually a pretty blue color. too bad its not going to be seen from outside the plane another thing i thought was interesting was the directions document that came with it talks about running in a 1.5-2.0 kg heli) it will be fueled by some tp lightning 2250 (mark contacted me and let me know they finally got in stock. that dock strike earlier this year really sucked)
for props ill be running in the ranges of 14x8 and 13x10. i start new job monday so i dont know if ill get it done this weekend but tatleast i see progress. oh this one is being run off a 5 ch airtronics fhss 1 receiver and my sd10
apriliamille is offline Find More Posts by apriliamille
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2015, 12:29 PM
Find More Posts by DeadstickDuck
Electric
Joined Oct 2009
1,697 Posts
Oh boy you'll like how well BOTH planes track! I'm doing 65hr weeks myself and tried flying tired and, may have pulled up too hard in a Power dive and stress fractured the wing and that's why it went out in style! No plane like this can handle a 100mph dive and yank it too quickly, too many times lol.

I would buy another Siren in a heartbeat and mod it again BUT I have a nice Cyclone 2M CF full molded ship with more power lol. The Siren helped me gain skill and confidence needed to move up. It will serve you well.

Though I do suggest FG the full center section and that CF sandwich mod to the wing joiners. That will add maybe 2 ounces but increase the strength of the wing 2~3x. Mine had a final AUW of 53oz with 4s2200mA 60C.

If you are able to restrain yourself from the high and thrill of 60mph WOT verticles, then you are a better man than I. I could not help it, it's addictive. The Siren is half the price for nearly the same performance as if you paid 400 for the airframe. A very good start.

Please show what you're doing so I can think about maybe buying a 2nd to play hard with so my flagship Cyclone 2M can stay pristine for those perfect days /evil grin.
DeadstickDuck is online now Find More Posts by DeadstickDuck
Old Jul 25, 2015, 01:28 PM
Joined May 2008
288 Posts
im looking at getting an e-tomcat or e-hornet and possibly a vector 3 during winter to build if i can get this up in the air this year and get my thumbs back. Ive had a long break from flying (3 years) so i want to blow up a few cheaper planes before i go back full force. friend of mine took me up on the slope and had me fly a dw / gw (cant remember name) to see if i still got it a little bit so yeah i renewed the ama this week with the email saying get 2016 as well and lets hope i get rolling. not sure yet on the plans for planes though. i have a gasser staring at me right now and 2 still in boxes screaming "build me" (along with the golf clubs i spent the last 2 years collecting during my lack of rc expense budget screaming "play me") then there is my radian pro, ritewings and my 3dhs plane
ill see if i can snag some photos in a few and post up. i love the blue on the mvvs b.t.w.
Last edited by apriliamille; Jul 25, 2015 at 02:03 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 01:42 PM
Joined May 2008
288 Posts

Old Jul 25, 2015, 02:18 PM
Electric
Joined Oct 2009
1,697 Posts
That's exactly how my 5065mg went in. It survived everything. Popped the horizontal stab off twice (love the nylon bolts that break at just the right force, never in the air) I kept a spare wing bolt and 2 stab bolts in the field box.

Never enough room for all the planes I want. I have the new Cyclone and a 70mm EDF Meteor that I have been doing install on last night. 4s3650 80C and Talon90.
Last edited by DeadstickDuck; Jul 25, 2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 04:20 PM
Joined May 2008
288 Posts
and im done for the day. gotta get my world of warships and world of tanks fix in for the day. laundry, clean up, hang out with the dog that is my avatar and chill out for the day. i think im going to be placing a micro fasteners order this week and get some nylon bolts and what not in.

got the motor mounted, esc velcroed and rx velcroed. i think im going to get a scorp bug. i still have room in there and i just dont feal warm about the 3.5 bullets that are part of the mvvs motor housing. id rather hard solder to the esc but dont want to dis assemble the motor to figure it out. its not a cheap motor for me to experiement on at this stage. thanks to who ever in the thread talked about the duck tape on the battery as i did the same thing. the tape is a place marker for the antennas to hold the tubes in place, going to go by my lhs and get some more antenna tubes to make sure no antenna touches the carbon fiber anywhere

this is my first build with c.f. fuse. so please please tell me if this is going to work or what i need to do to make it work. i also have antenna tube going through the drilled holes on each side to ensure the antenna dont touch the c.f.

Old Jul 25, 2015, 08:35 PM
Electric
Joined Oct 2009
1,697 Posts
That will work for the Rx. Of you have a satellite you can shrink wrap that to the tail boom 6in back and at 90 degrees.

GPS

Satellite
Old Aug 02, 2015, 10:35 AM
Joined May 2008
288 Posts
argh, everything i have ever built before didnt prep me for this plane. put in the motor and esc and rx (put them in positions just like i do on my other planes) put in the battery pulled out my cg machine and then i looked.... my battery is behind where the manual says the cg is. now im ripping out all the componants and back to the drawing board on where it should go. ps that is one long nose piece.
Old Aug 02, 2015, 10:39 AM
Joined May 2008
288 Posts
if i put the esc on the bottom of the frame and battery on top will this cause an issue for the esc?
how about putting the rx on the bottom, will the carbon fiber mess with it or just an antenna that touches carbon fiber??
Old Aug 02, 2015, 11:02 AM
Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
I Used To Have More Free Time!
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
2,347 Posts
I have been running my esc under the wooden frame for two years w/o issue. The rear end of the battery sits on top of the esc. My Rx is under the vent hole with the long antennae routed out through the vent.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Aug 02, 2015, 12:56 PM
Electric
Joined Oct 2009
1,697 Posts
Same, the Rx sits basically under the wing bolt and vent. Just make sure the wing bolt isn't so long you drill it into the Rx case lol.....

My 100A ESC went under my battery in the front. The 4s2200mA 60C packs I used worked perfectly, could slide it back and forth almost 3 inches to adjust CG.