Old Oct 01, 2013, 10:16 PM
Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,990 Posts
Discussion
Good Luck Buy Aluminum 3-Axis Brushless GoPro Gimbal

I finally received my 3axis GoodLuckBuy gimbal. I have no idea what board this is based on as I've never seen one like this before.

I put my Hero3 inside the case and plugged it in. There was a loud buzzing noise and it performed TERRIBLY. Upon closer inspection I saw that the custom control board was only held on by one little 2mm bolt. Plus it had a bunch of hot glue on the back of the control board protecting stuff from shorting out on the aluminum frame but preventing the board from sitting flush on the frame. Also there are 4 holes in the control board but 2 of them on the end of the board don't match up. If the board was flipped over they would match up but all the chips would be in the way and it wouldn't sit flat. I removed all the glue and covered the contacts with electrical tape, put in 2 bolts and taped down the other end.

Now it works well and is quiet, see the video below.

The build quality with the exception of the board mounting holes is pretty good. It's nice and compact and only weighs 289g.

There are some design flaws.
1) There isn't a lot of clearance between the top of the go pro casing and the yaw motor, this causing impacts with minimal roll motion, see video.
2) The GoPro is difficult to get in and out of the aluminum enclosure, thus getting to the micro SD card difficult. There is a hole in the front of the aluminum enclosure which I imagine is to get the card out but that seems near impossible.
3) Board mounting holes need to be fixed. I'm screwed on that one, later revisions hopefully fix this issue.

Please excuse yet another ugly bathroom mirror video with my ugly mug!

GoodLuckBuy 3 Axis GoPro Gimbal First Test (0 min 49 sec)
AeroVideoUS is online now Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Last edited by AeroVideoUS; Oct 01, 2013 at 11:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2013, 03:24 AM
Find More Posts by ABLomas
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,808 Posts
Looks good, you got link to it?
EDIT: this one? http://www.goodluckbuy.com/3-axis-al...antom-fpv.html
EDIT2: looks like motor/mounts are on different sides, so probably another one...
ABLomas is offline Find More Posts by ABLomas
Old Oct 02, 2013, 11:20 AM
Find More Posts by jayspacker
Joined Jul 2013
55 Posts
would also really like to know link.

I had the ABLomas link one ordered for the last 8 weeks or so, but I kept emailing and getting one excuse after another for why it still wasn't ready. I finally cancelled the order yesterday.

Perhaps if it was the same link, I just jumped the gun cancelling?

Is there a GUI with the software ? it seems to have 2 USBs which makes me wonder if someone has taken the evvGC project and modified it to include imu, etc and some other major changes.

It is certainly the most compact 3 axis by some margin - I really want to get hold of one to use for helmet mounted extreme sports.
jayspacker is offline Find More Posts by jayspacker
Old Oct 02, 2013, 03:12 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABLomas View Post
Looks good, you got link to it?
EDIT: this one? http://www.goodluckbuy.com/3-axis-al...antom-fpv.html
EDIT2: looks like motor/mounts are on different sides, so probably another one...
Sorry about that, yes that's the link. What is pictured is a little different than what I received but that is indeed the link.
Old Oct 02, 2013, 03:14 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayspacker View Post
would also really like to know link.

I had the ABLomas link one ordered for the last 8 weeks or so, but I kept emailing and getting one excuse after another for why it still wasn't ready. I finally cancelled the order yesterday.

Perhaps if it was the same link, I just jumped the gun cancelling?

Is there a GUI with the software ? it seems to have 2 USBs which makes me wonder if someone has taken the evvGC project and modified it to include imu, etc and some other major changes.

It is certainly the most compact 3 axis by some margin - I really want to get hold of one to use for helmet mounted extreme sports.
I have no idea what software to run with it, I have an email into their support but don't hold out much hope for a reply. I ordered this on 8/31 and it arrived yesterday 10/1 So only a 4 week wait but I was asking to cancel my order and the shipped it, which is fine with me.
Old Oct 03, 2013, 03:43 AM
Joined Jul 2013
55 Posts
in your video it doesn't appear to be in 'follow mode' ?

ie changes in yaw and it stays in same heading ?

is that true ? makes it pretty useless for aerial use if it is.

at least until we find out what the software is and can change the setting.
Old Oct 03, 2013, 06:06 PM
Find More Posts by mustafa
Joined Aug 2013
129 Posts
What a need threat. Received mine yesterday, exactly the same product with same not matching hole problem and the same solution for vibration issue

Couple of things that i couldn't figure out:

What are those pins just near the motor connection, A2 , A-0, A-1, A-2?

I connected my receiver to A0 and A1 they are for roll and pitch axis control. What are the rest? I couldn't managge to control yaw axis! tried all pins got nothing.

Please help me to figure it out. Thanks.
mustafa is offline Find More Posts by mustafa
Last edited by mustafa; Oct 03, 2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2013, 11:30 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,990 Posts
Quote:
in your video it doesn't appear to be in 'follow mode' ?

ie changes in yaw and it stays in same heading ?

is that true ? makes it pretty useless for aerial use if it is.

at least until we find out what the software is and can change the setting.
Your are correct, it's set to heading hold mode. I have no idea how to change it
Old Oct 03, 2013, 11:30 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustafa View Post
What a need threat. Received mine yesterday, exactly the same product with same not matching hole problem and the same solution for vibration issue

Couple of things that i couldn't figure out:

What are those pins just near the motor connection, A2 , A-0, A-1, A-2?

I connected my receiver to A0 and A1 they are for roll and pitch axis control. What are the rest? I couldn't managge to control yaw axis! tried all pins got nothing.

Please help me to figure it out. Thanks.
You've figured out more than I have, do you have photos of how you hooked up a receiver to yours?
Old Oct 04, 2013, 02:15 AM
Joined Jul 2013
55 Posts
Why don't you try each software on it via the USb. There are a few to try:

Alexmos
Brugi martinez
Vrgimbal
Tarot
Evvgc (least likely)

It's gotta be one of em. Looking at the components in your pic I'd say tarot, plus it looks like it has 2 usb... My bet is the board has 2 separate arduinos, one is doing yaw, one the other 2 axis. One Imu shared between over i2c.
Old Oct 04, 2013, 05:47 AM
Joined Aug 2013
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroVideoUS View Post
You've figured out more than I have, do you have photos of how you hooked up a receiver to yours?
Actually it is easy, let me describe you here and you give a try. You know there is one available place to plug something which is just near the place where motor cables are pluged. There are pins : 5V, GND, A0, A1, A2, A-0, A-1, A-2. Plug the supplied cabel to GND, 5V, A0, A1 and A2. You can either power up your receiver from the gimbal(not recommended) or if it is already biased from somewhere else than plug the cabel by lefting 5V and GND unpluged.If the power sources of your receiver is comman(that means they are sharing the same ground) you can than directly connect the A0 to one of your channel's signal pin(only signal pin) of your receiver. If the receiver and gimbal not powered by same battery than you need to connect the GND of gimbal to GND of your receiver(any available ground at receiver will work, it don't need to be a receiving channel) than you can connect the A0 to your roll(can be pitch i don't remember right now) axis channel of your receiver, A1 to your pitch axis channel of your receiver (A0 and A1 will only be connected to signal pin of receiver!). According to sake of logic, A2 needs to control the yaw axis but tried, got nothing.It is better to give a try and connect the A2 to yaw axis channel of your receiver as you connected the A0 an A1 so that we can understand if the all gimbals have the same yaw problem.

I don't recommend to flash the card with any other firmware at least goodluckbuy returns us about this issue.

By the way yes there is two atmel on the gimbal.

Let me know the results please.
Old Oct 04, 2013, 05:49 AM
Joined Aug 2013
129 Posts
Quote:
Why don't you try each software on it via the USb. There are a few to try:

Alexmos
Brugi martinez
Vrgimbal
Tarot
Evvgc (least likely)

It's gotta be one of em. Looking at the components in your pic I'd say tarot, plus it looks like it has 2 usb... My bet is the board has 2 separate arduinos, one is doing yaw, one the other 2 axis. One Imu shared between over i2c.
Yes there are two atmels on the board however we can't be sure the card trace is same as tarot or anyother gimbal around. Goodluckbuy on vacation they will be back on 5th of this month. I think they will help.
Last edited by mustafa; Oct 04, 2013 at 05:55 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2013, 06:58 AM
Joined Jul 2013
55 Posts
Sure but it'll either work or not. No harm can be done by trying.
Old Oct 07, 2013, 08:19 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,990 Posts
I received the following reply from GoodLuckBuy about the 3 Axis GoPro gimbal:

Hello dear customer,
the attachment is the software you need to set item sku:99482 3-Axis Aluminum Brushless Camera Mount Gimbal w/ Motor & Controller for Gopro3 DJI FPV
wish it will help you
Kindly Regards

THE GLB TEAM

And they included the SimpleBGC _GUI_2_2b2 rar file. I already have that installed and when I plugged it in the software didn't even recognize there was a gimbal there
Old Oct 07, 2013, 08:41 PM
Joined Aug 2013
129 Posts
Hi, i va had the required help from the GLB to work the gimbal out, now everything functioning perfectly, except the 'follow the yaw' feature which is a feature that when multi makes a yaw movement gimbal follows it. Any way sine we have two pilots at the field, i think figure it out.

First picture belongs to function of pins

To make the yaw functioning to be controlled by rc receiver you need to download the attached file

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._GUI_2_2b2.rar

It requires java so you may need to instal it when installing the gimbal software, installation takes you through there.

After the installation you are welcomed by a professional pc interface. To connect the gimbal to pc you need to take care of two things. First the mini usb port on the gimbal closer to the pitch axis motor is for YAW SETTINGS the other port is for PITCH AND ROLL settings. Now go to the setting tab as you see in the image below

The image chinese however no problem you can figure it out. Than go below see there is an input option for YAW currently selected as NO INPUT change it to RC_PITCH as you can see the picture below:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20yaw%202.jpg

Remember that if you can't connect to the gimbal, first check the cable connection, when you connected to gimbal the lights on the board should be blinking.

Second make sure that gimbal is recognized by the computer.

Last one and most important one, check the PORT NUMBER which the gimbal currently connected, select that com port at the left hand side of the pc interface and hit connect, After connecting to gimbal make the changes you want and hit WRITE to upload current settings.

Have nice flights..