New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2015, 05:07 PM
Find More Posts by acesimmer
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
2,401 Posts
More work on V2 and V3 between building the A6. Retract box built for V3 and ready to install. Canards for both V2 and V3 built and ready from new molds. V3 parts build is complete and ready for assembly next month.

V2 is in the shop to have battle damage repaired and also get all the new updates. Monday V2 gets a whole new nose then have it grafted to the rear fuselage. I am so glad that I took the time to make multi-part molds. It allows me to repair any section of the Euro without loosing the entire aircraft.

More to come next week........
acesimmer is online now Find More Posts by acesimmer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2015, 03:14 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,401 Posts
Repairs are almost completed on V2. Due to the paint thickness it doesn't quite fit the molds perfectly. So I added a couple of levers to push it into place. I also added magnets inside and out to help pull the skin into the molds.

When I repaired V1 this way I laid up the cloth the normal way which is resin coat then buildup with cloth. I had a little under bleed of the thin resin between the mold surface and the outer skin of the jet. This time I did the above and first applied a bead of thickened goop to create a barrier between the outer skin and mold. Hopefully the resin will not bleed so much.

I then laid up 3/4 oz, 2 oz and finished with 6 oz cloth which is the same schedule like the original. This will be enough to fix the breakage and I'll add more cloth across the seam when joining front to back. I also laid up the nose section. I'll join the front and back tomorrow morning.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 04:35 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,401 Posts
V2 is all repaired. Just waiting for some laser cut repair parts to finish building it out. I'm thinking to change the color to the Battle of Britain memorial version. I'm also repairing some crash crease damage to the wings. So with all the effort I may as well just change the color.

I'll get Calli to cut two sets so that I have an option to do a super detailed V3 in same scheme.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 04:44 PM
Find More Posts by Tumbler
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,762 Posts
Awesome!
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Jul 30, 2015, 02:37 AM
Find More Posts by shoey
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jan 2009
781 Posts
Great recovery Ace! Impressive how you can use the mould to repair like that. Nice one
shoey is online now Find More Posts by shoey
Old Jul 30, 2015, 04:19 PM
Find More Posts by Dmerino
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,854 Posts
Incredible job, Ace....................... Damn, you "Brits" are good.

Den
Dmerino is offline Find More Posts by Dmerino
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:04 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,401 Posts
Thanks lads

Den.... You nailed that one. Yes, we brits are good... laugh.

LasercuttingbyJohn just dropped off the replacement parts for V2. So now I can move ahead. I have repaired the surface creases in the wings but will have to redo the rivets. Kind of hard to fix with a few thousand rivets on the wings.

I also got the final canopy for the A6 ready for layup. Maybe tomorrow. The weather just got super hot once again and driving me out of the shop by 10am.

Today I received some new high voltage batteries. I thought to try out the new Turnigy Bolts. Instead of 5000 packs these are 5400 and a few grams lighter. Hopefully I can get a little more poop and a little longer flying time. If not then its time to go 7 or 8S per side. I designed in the capability for four 6S packs if needed. I just like the way it flys on 6S x 2. Very docile