New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2014, 02:19 PM
Find More Posts by golgotha
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined May 2014
33 Posts
Help!
Switched from 5.8 to 1.3. Unhappy.

I'm running a multirotor and have been using a 600mW 5.8GHz Tx and Fatshark goggle 5.8Ghz receiver. Both were using Fatshark skew planar spironet antennas. I was getting solid video out to about 2500 meters within the Fresnel zone, which is great.

I've been wanting to do longer range and better penetration, so I purchased a 1500mW 1.3GHz Tx (yes I know, overkill) and RMRC 1.3Ghz receiver (w/ SAW upgrade). Additionally, I purchased a BlueBeam Ultra antenna set (one corkscrew, one mad mushroom).

My video is slightly degraded in quality, which is expected. My range has significantly decreased and now I have solid video out to about 400 meters. The penetration (behind trees, etc.) is virtually the same quality as the 5.8Ghz setup - no difference.

I'm out in the countryside and the noise floor is very low. My antenna connectors are SMA and correct for my setup. I was expecting to have similar range results with the 1.3 as I did with the 5.8. Am I wrong on this?

Before I start diving into purchasing different antennas (direcitonal), is there anything else I should consider? Perhaps my 1.3 Tx is not working correctly? I double checked the power voltage and I'm giving it 12v which is what it wants. Is it possible that my BEC (with a maximum of 1A output) is not giving the Tx enough amperage?
When I'm finished with my flight, the Tx is not even warm. I was also testing the audio input on the Tx and only loud noise is coming down to the Rx.
Would it be prudent to purchase another 1.3 Tx to start the process of eliminating potential issues with my setup?
golgotha is offline Find More Posts by golgotha
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2014, 02:35 PM
Find More Posts by Nixus
Carthage must be destroyed!!
United States, IL, Mokena
Joined Oct 2011
464 Posts
I would install a low-pass filter between the vRX and the RX Antenna. Also, your BEC may be the cause of the problem.

Have you ever powered up your vTX without the antenna?

If I were you, I'd purchase the 400mw or 800mw 1.3 vTX from RMRC.
Nixus is offline Find More Posts by Nixus
Old Jul 13, 2014, 09:50 PM
Find More Posts by HoverbotFPV
Joined Dec 2013
67 Posts
I went from 5.8 to 1.3 and still have my 5.8 gear ie 2x vrx etc.
With 200mw pcb vtx I had a signal strong enough to fly by blue screen and the vtx on 1s. Then I went to 1.3 ie 1280 etc. I had faded image and horrible signal glitches close in but then I made a diy cross hair and run it with a diversity dipole and once out 100 yards I am good to 2400 or so. Better than 5.8 out there I found but I have plans to adapt in my 5.8's to ground station and test both. I do not use filters with either 2.4 or 433 running control and do not get enough disturbance to fret over while flying.
Sounds like you have a bad pcb or connection I use $48 700mw 16ch budget vrx vtx. Then if I find better used brand names it should be way better eh?
HB
HoverbotFPV is offline Find More Posts by HoverbotFPV
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:38 AM
Joined May 2014
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbreeder View Post
I would install a low-pass filter between the vRX and the RX Antenna. Also, your BEC may be the cause of the problem.

Have you ever powered up your vTX without the antenna?

If I were you, I'd purchase the 400mw or 800mw 1.3 vTX from RMRC.
Yes, I already ordered an 800mW Tx from RMRC. It will be here tomorrow. I'll look into the low pass filter as well. I had thought this was only to help protect a local 2.4GHz receiver (which I don't use).
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:42 AM
Joined May 2014
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoverbotFPV View Post
I went from 5.8 to 1.3 and still have my 5.8 gear ie 2x vrx etc.
With 200mw pcb vtx I had a signal strong enough to fly by blue screen and the vtx on 1s. Then I went to 1.3 ie 1280 etc. I had faded image and horrible signal glitches close in but then I made a diy cross hair and run it with a diversity dipole and once out 100 yards I am good to 2400 or so. Better than 5.8 out there I found but I have plans to adapt in my 5.8's to ground station and test both. I do not use filters with either 2.4 or 433 running control and do not get enough disturbance to fret over while flying.
Sounds like you have a bad pcb or connection I use $48 700mw 16ch budget vrx vtx. Then if I find better used brand names it should be way better eh?
HB
Thanks for sharing your info. It gives me hope!

That being the case that the 1.3 isn't working well while in close (even when using omnis), I'm going to try splitting my video signal on my copter to a 600mW 5.8 Tx and a 800mW 1.3 Tx simultaneously. On the ground I'll run two different video feeds into my video diversity setup.
While in close, it will choose my 5.8 setup with a great image, and when I go further out, it will switch to 1.3, which will be a degraded image, but if you want to go far, that's the price you gotta pay.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 03:46 AM
Find More Posts by sscott.za
Joined Feb 2014
99 Posts
There is a good chance that the Vtx is going to draw more than 1A of current, especially if it is 1500mW (they are super inefficient). Do you have a separate 3S battery pack that you can run it from? I would try that to see if it helps.
sscott.za is offline Find More Posts by sscott.za
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:15 PM
Find More Posts by Mineburg
Joined Feb 2011
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgotha View Post
I'm running a multirotor and have been using a 600mW 5.8GHz Tx and Fatshark goggle 5.8Ghz receiver. Both were using Fatshark skew planar spironet antennas. I was getting solid video out to about 2500 meters within the Fresnel zone, which is great.

I've been wanting to do longer range and better penetration, so I purchased a 1500mW 1.3GHz Tx (yes I know, overkill) and RMRC 1.3Ghz receiver (w/ SAW upgrade). Additionally, I purchased a BlueBeam Ultra antenna set (one corkscrew, one mad mushroom).

My video is slightly degraded in quality, which is expected. My range has significantly decreased and now I have solid video out to about 400 meters. The penetration (behind trees, etc.) is virtually the same quality as the 5.8Ghz setup - no difference.

I'm out in the countryside and the noise floor is very low. My antenna connectors are SMA and correct for my setup. I was expecting to have similar range results with the 1.3 as I did with the 5.8. Am I wrong on this?

Before I start diving into purchasing different antennas (direcitonal), is there anything else I should consider? Perhaps my 1.3 Tx is not working correctly? I double checked the power voltage and I'm giving it 12v which is what it wants. Is it possible that my BEC (with a maximum of 1A output) is not giving the Tx enough amperage?
When I'm finished with my flight, the Tx is not even warm. I was also testing the audio input on the Tx and only loud noise is coming down to the Rx.
Would it be prudent to purchase another 1.3 Tx to start the process of eliminating potential issues with my setup?
You might double check that it's being powered with 12v, if it's powered off bec it's either 5v or 6v, but you really shouldn't see much difference on 1.3 vs 5.8 due to the fact that all the new development technology is going into the 5.8 systems.
Mineburg is offline Find More Posts by Mineburg
Old Jul 27, 2015, 12:47 PM
Find More Posts by philthyy
UAV Integrations
United States, WA, Battle Ground
Joined Nov 2005
2,239 Posts
Also, what RC Tx are you using? Some UHF systems can step all over the 1.3ghz Vrx. Try mounting your Vrx and its antenna far away from any other ground equipment (run a high quality 30 foot RCA video cable to your goggles/screen) and see if that helps.
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Jul 27, 2015, 03:04 PM
Find More Posts by Corocrumpler
Watch This!
United States, LA, Washington
Joined Feb 2007
139 Posts
With the higher power VTX (1500mw) I had a problem with reflections (reflected RF). It was bouncing off of houses and my video was pretty nasty even with RHCP antennas..
Corocrumpler is offline Find More Posts by Corocrumpler
Old Jul 27, 2015, 04:02 PM
Find More Posts by RC Man
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
19,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corocrumpler View Post
With the higher power VTX (1500mw) I had a problem with reflections (reflected RF). It was bouncing off of houses and my video was pretty nasty even with RHCP antennas..

+1

Too much power, especially on lower frequencies, can cause all kinds of problems. I just upgraded from 200mw on 1258 to 400mw and now I still have a rock solid signal at 4.5 Km. http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=915

I am running a FPVPro antenna on the transmitter and a VAS BiQuad on the receiver.
https://www.fpvpro.com/antennas-dipo...eo-transmitter
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=378

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jul 27, 2015, 04:09 PM
Find More Posts by RC Man
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
19,309 Posts
Video Quality

It is my experience that 5.8 has the best video quality. Donít go to 1258/1280 unless you really need a lot more range.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jul 28, 2015, 01:56 AM
Find More Posts by evo101
Australia, QLD, Indooroopilly
Joined Jun 2009
1,090 Posts
there are quite a few things you can check:

* are you transmitting audio? remove it for now , audio reduces range on a lawmate TX i have

* do the antenna's match eg both RHCP ?

* have you tried the stock whip antenna's to see if your blue beam's are working?

* are you on matching frequency's? as you will probably still get a picture on the next freq

* have you overheated the 1500mw? as that will need some serious cooling if its not on a plane or in its case

* your powering it with a BEC, does the BEC deliver 12volts and not 4.8v - 6.1v?
a video transmitter of that power really needs its own 3s battery . that transmitter should get freaking HOT!!!!!!!

* are you using 433uhf ? and the radio tx is to close to the 1.2 receiver etc

* a quality 400mw 1.2 - 1.3 should outrange 1000mw+ 5.8 easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgotha View Post

evo101 is online now Find More Posts by evo101