SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:07 AM
Find More Posts by real57vetteguy
Joined Feb 2013
2 Posts
Discussion
Please Help. Wiring a remote control Mower.

Hi all,

This is a great forum and I am glad I found it!
I am working on a 4wd remote control mower build. Here is what I have:
20 hp electric start briggs gas engine
DX5E controller
2 battle switches
sabertooth 2x60 motor controller
2 x wheel chair motors

This is the second remote mower project, the first one turned out great but it did not have electric start or electric deck adjustment. I need help figuring out how to wire the starter to start the gas engine via the remote. I also need help wiring an electric screw jack to be able to adjust the deck height up and down via the remote control. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

real57vetteguy is offline Find More Posts by real57vetteguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:25 PM
Find More Posts by DeadTom
Team of ONE....or...Team Me
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
816 Posts
Skid steering...yikes, I am glad this will not be cutting my lawn.
Anyways, you could use a servo to engage the starter button when the remote button is pushed.
And as far as the deck lift, just thinking really quick like: solid mount your jack screw and then use a rotating nut to spin up or down to lower or lift the deck, the rotating nut would be fixed to the deck itself. The rotating nut would be similar to some CNC machines that use fixed lead screws.
Good luck
DeadTom is offline Find More Posts by DeadTom
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:03 AM
Find More Posts by real57vetteguy
Joined Feb 2013
2 Posts
re

Here is a video of it in action and the progress so far!

real57vetteguy is offline Find More Posts by real57vetteguy
Old Mar 14, 2015, 05:26 PM
Find More Posts by metalbender4by
hey whats burning?
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Oct 2007
942 Posts
So how far did you get with this? I have seen a bunch of these done with the front or rear wheels done as casters but not as a skid steer. This isn't mine but is how I am building it. Have not gotten very far though. The real world keeps getting in the way, you know work and all the other stuff. I will use the dimension engineering sabertooth 2x60 with mine.http://www.robotmarketplace.com/prod...TOOTH2X60.html
metalbender4by is offline Find More Posts by metalbender4by
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:30 PM
Find More Posts by armenvegas
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2014
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbender4by View Post
So how far did you get with this? I have seen a bunch of these done with the front or rear wheels done as casters but not as a skid steer. This isn't mine but is how I am building it. Have not gotten very far though. The real world keeps getting in the way, you know work and all the other stuff. I will use the dimension engineering sabertooth 2x60 with mine.http://www.robotmarketplace.com/prod...TOOTH2X60.html
wow that looks SICK !!!! whoever built that has good style. lol
i am thinking of purchasing the 2x60 sabertooth for same kinda project.
is it possible to speed up the rate of motors with it? via pwm?

thanks, im off to research more
Armen
armenvegas is offline Find More Posts by armenvegas
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:33 PM
Joined Feb 2014
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by real57vetteguy View Post
Hi all,

This is a great forum and I am glad I found it!
I am working on a 4wd remote control mower build. Here is what I have:
20 hp electric start briggs gas engine
DX5E controller
2 battle switches
sabertooth 2x60 motor controller
2 x wheel chair motors

This is the second remote mower project, the first one turned out great but it did not have electric start or electric deck adjustment. I need help figuring out how to wire the starter to start the gas engine via the remote. I also need help wiring an electric screw jack to be able to adjust the deck height up and down via the remote control. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

WOW Im glad i found this room too.
Awesome build
Old Mar 18, 2015, 04:57 AM
hey whats burning?
Joined Oct 2007
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by armenvegas View Post
wow that looks SICK !!!! whoever built that has good style. lol
i am thinking of purchasing the 2x60 sabertooth for same kinda project.
is it possible to speed up the rate of motors with it? via pwm?

thanks, im off to research more
Armen
The controller will only allow the motor to turn at there highest rate, but it can handle up to 32volts. Depending on the motors you are using you may be able to step up the voltage a little and that would make it go a little faster.

I got a little derailed on my mower and used the motors for this cart. I use it to move stuff around at the site where I work. I do drywall repair and have to move a lot of stuff long distances. There is about 4 or 5 hundred pounds on that cart and it drove fine with me hanging off it also. The controller is in the red bag along with two 12volt,12 amp hour batteries and a hand held joystick. The saber 2x60 is a very usefully controller with a lot of options for controlling it.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 12:32 PM
Joined Feb 2014
542 Posts
Thats a great idea. I do stuff like that at work too but i usually catch grief for playing instead of working. Sheesh i call it working smarter.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 12:42 PM
Joined Feb 2014
542 Posts
My set up is without a sabertooth though, I didn't want to ruin the arm joystick controller frommy hoveround wheelchair so i just used a couple of hi torque servos and an old am Futaba tx/rx.
since then I've received a 6 wheeled Quicky and its much faster than my other one. But i haven't purchased a sabertooth yet; but i will throw funds into paypal and get that today and a couple battleswitches too.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 08:49 PM
hey whats burning?
Joined Oct 2007
942 Posts
Sounds like fun. I just got my hands on a 36" mower deck that I am going to try and build my mower from. I'm sure it will take a while to get going on it but if start I'll post some pic's.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:48 AM
Joined Feb 2014
542 Posts
i put in my order for the 2x60 and 2 battle switches. i should have them in a week. ,
im using 2 12v gel deep cycle batteries that were recommended by hoverround, how can i step the voltage up but not go beyond 32v? if i add a third 12v, ill have 36v.
i have a mini volt dc to dc converter but there is no way that it can handle amps like that.

after reading through dimension engineerings products, i dont think they have something like that.

thanks for any help.
Armen
Old Mar 20, 2015, 06:06 AM
hey whats burning?
Joined Oct 2007
942 Posts
There is really only two ways to do it, first one is to use a different type of battery chemistry like a lipo. The voltage of each cell is higher. A standard lead acid battery produces 1.2 volts per cell where a lipo produces 4.2 volts per cell at full charge. Keep in mind these are not exact numbers. The second option is to find a third lead acid battery that is 6 volt to add to the 2 12 volt batteries you all ready have. That would push you up to 30 volts and would be a noticeable difference in speed and be within the rand of the controller. Keep in mind that if you add the third battery they all have to have the same capacity. If not the lowest one will get over discharged compared to the others and that would kill it. I think most of the carts use about a 35 amp hour battery so find a 6 volt 35 amp hour battery to match and that would be fine. 12+12=24+6=30= On my cart I have been using 2 12 amp hour batteries from a battery back unit for computers. So far they hold up well and were relatively cheap.

I have been toying with the idea of using some lipo myself because I also use them in my other toys, but they do start getting expensive as the get into the higher capacities. Another thing to consider with the lipo's is they require a special charge and they require a little more attention when using them. If they get over discharge it really hurts them and they can some times catch fire.

Lead acid battery
10 cells = 12 volts
Lipo battery
8 cells = 33.6

What are the battle switches going to be used for?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 03:19 PM
Joined Feb 2014
542 Posts
Thank you great info.
Battle switches... i don't know yet but could come in handy.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 07:35 PM
hey whats burning?
Joined Oct 2007
942 Posts
I was going to try and add an electric edger to mine so I could trim at the same time.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 08:50 PM
Joined Feb 2014
542 Posts
thats a great idea, i think i might try that too. i also like the ride height idea by real57vetteguy.
im just so excited to finally own tx/rx, proper motors, a mig welder, placed order for sabertooth, battle switches(thursday cant get here soon enough), batteries(except the 6 volt), lawn mowers... ive got a few and kinda throwing around the idea of 2 side by side?(maybe i should start with 1) lol.

ive always loved toys, robotics, cameras, wireless anything, almost ordered a MYO but i dont know if i want to gesture control a dangerous creation with out a little more experience.

B.T.W. my motors have the electric brakes on them, do i not wire them in on the sabertooth?

thanks again.