SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 23, 2015, 05:31 AM
Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
Spain, Principado de Asturias, Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetieinsf View Post
Next chance I get with low winds (it's the WINDY season her in San Francisco) I'll drop in the high efficiency motor/prop and coupled with the reduced weight and added battery capacity I will see just how far it will REALLY go! Based on past experience it will be the 5.8 video (and the really high noise floor here) that will be the limiting factor.
and you using 5.8 video and get 6 miles? amazing!

6 miles is my max target range.. not even that i want to do 10kms.. but that i want to do like arround 5 but want a system capable of doing 10 for safety ..and for that im using 1.3ghz video at 850mW with 35mhz radio (im not in the US before you guys begin pointing thats illegal) wich i have done 1.2kms so far (not even a mile) because im still setting up the RTH ... but for my lesser FPV platforms (250 quad and an OSDless Elektro Rookie) i use 200 and 400mW Boscam 5.8s with stock Frsky antenna and RXs.. never ventured beyond 750m with them (tought i have done a ground range test and got 1.8kms with Frsky)

Sometimes makes me wonder if its worth the 1.3Ghz system with all its issues (like now having to solder a SAW filter to use a 433 LRS module im setting up too, not thinking in 2,4Frsky to avoid issues tought one friend uses Frsky with a 1,2 system and went beyond 25kms ..without filters)
JLT_GTI is online now Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
Last edited by JLT_GTI; Jul 23, 2015 at 06:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2015, 11:17 AM
Find More Posts by shadowolfs
Another one bites the Dust
United States, GA, Savannah
Joined Mar 2013
688 Posts
Notice he is using a 2 watt vtx
shadowolfs is online now Find More Posts by shadowolfs
Old Jul 24, 2015, 11:51 AM
Find More Posts by renatoa
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
17,346 Posts
10 km are the norm with 200mW and 7 turn helix, these ludicrous transmitter powers used by guys having no idea about RF are just specter pollution and lack of respect vs the other users of the band. And outlaw at the end of day.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jul 24, 2015, 04:18 PM
mdv
Find More Posts by mdv
mdv
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2009
658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
10 km are the norm with 200mW and 7 turn helix, these ludicrous transmitter powers used by guys having no idea about RF are just specter pollution and lack of respect vs the other users of the band. And outlaw at the end of day.
Kind of depends on the noise floor in your area. I am surrounded by 5.8 signals. I sometimes get surveillance video or baby cam output on my display. There are a lot of routers on 5.8 now.
mdv is offline Find More Posts by mdv
Old Jul 24, 2015, 07:46 PM
Find More Posts by Sweetieinsf
Master of Disaster!
United States, CA, San Bruno
Joined Feb 2013
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
That may be the norm in Romania but you won't get ANYWHERE near that range here in San Francisco. Before you go pointing fingers you should realize that the frequency pollution here is huge, especially in the ISM bands. Yes, I realize I'm only adding to the existing pollution by using higher power transmitters but it's either that, drive hours out of the city to fly (a luxury I do not usually have), or don't fly with any range.

There are cell towers EVERY WHERE, Public WiFi transmitters EVERY WHERE, and the Cargo ships anchored in the Bay often transmit very powerful signals that destroy 5.8 video with a lower power Vtx. About 1000 feet from my favorite flying field there is some crazy powerful transmitter that will knock my L9R RSSI to ZERO if I get to close. The usual other options for FPV, such as 433/1.3 are not an option here, the noise floor on those bands is even worse. San Francisco is Ground Zero for the Wireless Revolution and the noise floor is off the charts.

No, I'm not one of those "guys having no idea about RF are just specter pollution and lack of respect vs the other users of the band", I'm a guy who tried EVERY THING to get a reliable 5 miles before realizing that to do so I just had to pollute in order to compete with the EXISTING pollution.

Renatoa, you seem like a knowledgeable fellow, and probably a nice guy, but I'm a bit tired of your condescending remarks. It was you who commented that my inverted "V" L9R antenna placement was to close to my LG and only an idiot would even try such a thing. That's funny because I don't claim to be an expert but you DO and that placement got me the biggest improvement in range EVER before I upped the Tx power.

In closing I'd like to suggest that if you don't have something nice or constructive to say then PLEASE don't say anything.
Sweetieinsf is offline Find More Posts by Sweetieinsf
Old Jul 25, 2015, 02:39 AM
Find More Posts by renatoa
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
17,346 Posts
So you want with any cost to fly in an overcrowded urban area and consider this as something normal... no comment.
I am driving 25 km to the closest slope just because the slope is there ! and not in my backyard...

Sorry about the rude tone, our history and culture here made us for centuries to worry for the worst next day to happen.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jul 26, 2015, 04:17 PM
Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
Spain, Principado de Asturias, Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetieinsf View Post
the Cargo ships anchored in the Bay often transmit very powerful signals that destroy 5.8 video with a lower power Vtx. .
That reminds me a weird issue we had in the coast.. i have a friend who did (i think he still does but he was migrating some of his planes to 433 so ...) used FrSky to fly FPV.. with a 1.2 VTx and he managed beyond 25kms with that with a 1W booster

one day we went to fly to one usual place in the coast.. and he was flying over the sea and headed at a fair altitude (above 500m) to a nearby anchored ship.. as soon as he got anywhere near a km or so to the ship his RSSI would drop from 99% to 0 and enter failsafe.. as soon as the plane was a bit away from the ship RSSI went up again to 99%

he was puzzled and tried a couple of times more and confirmed it.. for some reason that anchored freighter barelly 2 or 3kms from the coast was a black hole in the 2.4Ghz band
JLT_GTI is online now Find More Posts by JLT_GTI