Old Jan 20, 2015, 02:15 PM
Wisconsin
United States, WI, Hayward
Joined Jan 2012
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc243 View Post
Hi all,
I am putting together a parts list for a FY680 build. I read nearly every post in this thread over the last few days but still have a few questions. Like most, long flight time is near the top of my list.... will be carrying GoPro, FPV and APM2.6. Starting to narrow things down to the tarot FY680.
-It seems that there are a few versions of the 680 frame and I can't seem to read a definitive post on which is the best/lightest? I would probably prefer to stay with the stock tubes and just use up to 13" props.
-4S or 6S, I understand the pros/cons but most seem to be going 4S. Why are there not more people going 6S
-Motors: Would the SunnySky 580kV and 13" props be the best choice for 4S. How about if I end up with 6S? I assume 380kV with 6S
Thanks much
Russ
First some rules of thumb.
1. For long flight times a quad will always beat a hex. The hex may have some advantages for redundancy or heavy lifting but not max flight time.
2. Not much difference in the TL68B01 and the TL68P00. The Pro has the built in PDB.
3. 6s is currently fashionable. The only benefit to higher voltage is lower current. If we were talking about currents that were so large as to make the conducters needed too large to manage then higher voltage would be required, but we are not.
4. The higher the voltage the lower the kv needed.
5. Bigger props mean longer flight times.
6. Every gram of extra weight hurts long flight times.

You pays your money and makes your choices...
mike_kelly is offline Find More Posts by mike_kelly
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2015, 04:03 PM
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
788 Posts
Quote:
Hi all,
I am putting together a parts list for a FY680 build. I read nearly every post in this thread over the last few days but still have a few questions. Like most, long flight time is near the top of my list.... will be carrying GoPro, FPV and APM2.6. Starting to narrow things down to the tarot FY680.
-It seems that there are a few versions of the 680 frame and I can't seem to read a definitive post on which is the best/lightest? I would probably prefer to stay with the stock tubes and just use up to 13" props.
-4S or 6S, I understand the pros/cons but most seem to be going 4S. Why are there not more people going 6S
-Motors: Would the SunnySky 580kV and 13" props be the best choice for 4S. How about if I end up with 6S? I assume 380kV with 6S
Thanks much
Russ
APM? Really?
Don't you mean Pixhawk and the new Ublox M8n!?

I prefere 6s, but many others see 4s and 14 or bigger props the way to go
CyberCrash is offline Find More Posts by CyberCrash
Old Jan 20, 2015, 05:04 PM
Joined Jan 2009
97 Posts
Mike,
Thanks for the info... I am more confused than ever trying to understand the different versions of the tarot 680 frame. I see frame only weights from 600g to 1400g after web searching the specs. Seems like I am missing something. How could there be such a difference of the frame only weight and are the features worth the weight increase?

I would guess any versions with the integrated PCB may not be worth the extra weight with 4S as the currents are not terribly high so I don't need super thick wire. I don't mind doing the wiring.... The price of the frame is not a concern as all versions are reasonably priced. What would you buy?

CyberCrash,
I am leaning towards the APM over the Pixhawk because the RTOS running in the Pixhawk is a bit more than I want to commit to dealing with as I will be working with the code and I like what I see in the HAL for the APM. Embedded code development is my day job.
Thanks,
Russ
Russ
russc243 is offline Find More Posts by russc243
Old Jan 20, 2015, 05:20 PM
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
788 Posts
HI Russ,
what frame?

I've got the same problem.

In my opinion there are only two frames to choose from:

FY680 pro or the Arris m680
Both are 680mm in diameter and offer a great big and stable hex with a great folding option...each different.

Both have advantages and disadavantages.

The Fy680 is the older version. Looks great, but the included PCB of the pro is a great feature. I've seen the FY680 (no pro) before. Same clips, same landing gear and same diameter. But different motor mounts and a PCB.

This is a great video (part1/5) which show how to build the FY680 pro...This way you can see if you like the frame.
CyberCrash is offline Find More Posts by CyberCrash
Old Jan 20, 2015, 06:50 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Jan 2012
875 Posts
Quote:
Mike,
Thanks for the info... I am more confused than ever trying to understand the different versions of the tarot 680 frame. I see frame only weights from 600g to 1400g after web searching the specs. Seems like I am missing something. How could there be such a difference of the frame only weight and are the features worth the weight increase?

I would guess any versions with the integrated PCB may not be worth the extra weight with 4S as the currents are not terribly high so I don't need super thick wire. I don't mind doing the wiring.... The price of the frame is not a concern as all versions are reasonably priced. What would you buy?

CyberCrash,
I am leaning towards the APM over the Pixhawk because the RTOS running in the Pixhawk is a bit more than I want to commit to dealing with as I will be working with the code and I like what I see in the HAL for the APM. Embedded code development is my day job.
Thanks,
Russ
Russ
Here is a post I did to document the different versions, weighed on my scale. Who knows how accurate it is but I think it is close enough for the conversation.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2279714
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2015, 06:56 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Jan 2012
875 Posts
duplicate...
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by mike_kelly; Jan 20, 2015 at 07:21 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 09:43 PM
Joined Jan 2009
97 Posts
CyberCrash - just checked out the arris . Nice but leaning towards the fy680 PRO.

Mike- its great that you had the real weights. Why the weights on the box and all of the on line restated specs are so far off and varied is beyond me. .. Seems like is pretty simple thing to spec.

So the pro adds 40g to the plate, 45g to the landing gear and 95g somewhere else(I assume the sliding tray and better locking mechanism) Do you feel the features warrant all of the extra weight?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:49 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Jan 2012
875 Posts
Quote:
CyberCrash - just checked out the arris . Nice but leaning towards the fy680 PRO.

Mike- its great that you had the real weights. Why the weights on the box and all of the on line restated specs are so far off and varied is beyond me. .. Seems like is pretty simple thing to spec.

So the pro adds 40g to the plate, 45g to the landing gear and 95g somewhere else(I assume the sliding tray and better locking mechanism) Do you feel the features warrant all of the extra weight?
Hard question. Every gram counts but I do like clean builds and I find the integrated pdb to help that end. You have to add the weight of a pdb to the non-pro as well. The plates are thicker on the PRO. The landing gear is heavier due to the locks which is a nice improvement. Not fun to have your landing gear colapse in flight.
So I think it boils down to personal preference.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:51 PM
Dirty Side Down.......o~^o
United States, MD, Sharpsburg
Joined Mar 2014
1,260 Posts
Quote:
Hi all,
Thanks much
Russ
As a former owner of the Tarot 680, and one who was in your spot about a year ago, I built it with the 3508-380's and went 6S. At AUW of approx. 3.5kg it would fly for 17 to 20 minutes depending on how hard I flew it, and how windy it was.
I used a zippy flitemax 8000- 30C and carried a 3 axis gimbal, gopro, and fpv gear. I used 40amp simonk esc's with current version with no issues and spun 11x4.7 APC slowflys- I was getting ready to use CF but it was lost as the lipo strap broke at the stitches this past December and the whole rig came down from about 100 feet.
My hex was super heavy compared to what it could, and should have been. It was not fast, but it was smooth. It utilized the pixhawk very well with autonomous missions using droidplanner, and it was even fun to fly fpv- but there was a reason- I used the 500mm rods instead of the stock to throw my gimbal and cameras way out front so props were not in view. There is where the Tarot has a problem- props are in view unless you plan for it. It also made tuning the hex tricky as the weight wasn't centered like on a conventional build.
To see the aftermath of a 100 foot fall, and the teardown of a FY-680, here you go:
Watch Your 6- The Teardown (5 min 53 sec)
Hiway is offline Find More Posts by Hiway
Old Jan 21, 2015, 09:24 AM
Joined Jan 2009
97 Posts
Mike -The pro version sounds like less headaches at the cost of some weight... going with the pro.

Hiway - That's a lot of twisted wires and carbon... excellent production!

Thanks for the help....
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:02 AM
Wisconsin
Joined Jan 2012
875 Posts
Quote:
Mike -The pro version sounds like less headaches at the cost of some weight... going with the pro.

Hiway - That's a lot of twisted wires and carbon... excellent production!

Thanks for the help....
I think you will be happy with your choice. One other decsion you can also make, optionally, is to buy longer arms. The advantage is that you can use longer props which will be more efficient and give you longer flight times. The downside is the that some people report the long arms are more flexy. You can buy the the premade 690 arms or buy raw tubing of any length you like.

Have fun with your build.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2015, 07:50 PM
Joined Jan 2009
97 Posts
Spent some time researching the following two final items before I order my fy680pro.
-4S battery with the sunnySky 3508 560kV OR 6S battery with the 3508 380kV
-extend the arms to run bigger props

I tried countless combinations on eCalc and I don't see a big difference in hover times when I optimize the prop diameter and pitch for the battery/motor/cell count. For 6S I picked 2x 4Ah and for 4S I picked 2x of the same battery type but 6Ah. I.e. Same amount of battery weight. Perhaps one minute difference. I understand the ESC can be lighter because of lower current but I thought the big difference was running bigger props.

I will be carrying: apm 2.6, minimOSD, FPY xmitter, goPro, 2D gimbal.

To be clear what I am asking ... Should I extent the arms, go to larger props, lower kV motors and go to 6S to get longer hover times? If yes, can I expect and extra minute or many minutes? ECalc is not so obvious that it will help.
Thanks much
Russ
Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Jan 2012
875 Posts
At the risk of getting my keyboard slapped for cross-posting...

My perfect Tarot Travel Case:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=398317
RCG Plus Member