HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 729 86.07%
were just asking for too much 118 13.93%
Voters: 847. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 07, 2015, 03:40 PM
fly-crash-and crash-more
Joined Dec 2014
73 Posts
i'm not a owner but my brother has one that he let me fly. i don't really think its a hard plane to fly.if you want a easy plane get it.
AirBro621 is offline Find More Posts by AirBro621
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2015, 05:52 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_S View Post
They don't necessarily need to bundle the plane and tx in the same box, for RTF they could offer a bundle and just include the tx in it's own package or sell the BNF in the same box just without the tx included in the package. I've never bought one o the RTF packages though, most of the planes and helis are already available as BNF with no tx.
Without going into another boring harangue let's just say that it aaaallll boils down to $MONEY$. That is the only purpose of business - to make more of it. There's a constant conversation between Management, Marketing, Design, Engineering and Distributors/Retailers to reduce waste and cost and make more $. (They also listen to customers but only on an average/trends basis.) They decide on what to make, how to price it, with what features, and how to package/bundle it. Then they decide how many to make, which is critical, because if they make too many or too few they lose $. Again, a lot of these RTFs are mainly targeted towards the raw newbie who wants to explore whether they will enjoy the hobby. The RTF cost is -drastically- less than the two separate aircraft/Tx items. That's partly to attract the new user, and partly because it -does- cost less to bundle them. Two (or three or five) separate items worth of manufacturing, packaging, inventory, finance, and all sorts of other administrivia costs more than tracking just -one- bundled item number. That's even related to why they 'sum of the spare parts' costs more than the one aircraft (or any manufactured assembly) because of all the drivel paperwork and inventory management involved. For example the warehouse space for let's say 50 aircraft takes up *drastically* less volume than all the separate parts that make up the same 50 aircraft takes.

The Management folks make all these decisions based on history and projections. Their yearly bonuses and promotions are based on how well they guesstimate down to the nickel and dime whether a product is lame, a success, or a BIG success. Those decisions are not at all based on -individual- customer preferences, only the big picture.

/harangue-anyway It's hard to say all this stuff in very few words because it's not a small topic.
jbarchuk is offline Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Jan 07, 2015, 11:02 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,334 Posts
Umm. yea, I agree to a degree. But, scale won't fly. Period. Facts are facts. You can take a given plan...scale it down...it won't be the same. EVER. No matter what. Because of basic fundamentals. You can scale the plane down. But you can never...ever...scale down air molecules. They are a given. And looks or not...the customer wants it to not just look right...but it better fly. And in a model like this...be crash/newbie ready. Food for thought.

Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jan 07, 2015, 11:03 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,334 Posts
And didn't the trojan have a four bladed prop?
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jan 07, 2015, 11:28 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,495 Posts
The early prototypes up through the T28A had a 2 blade prop. The T28B and later models all had 3 blade props.

The UM T28 is a semi-scale mix and match of various models. You could probably claim that both a 2 blade and a 3 blade prop would be accurate, although a 3 blade would be more likely.

The only 4 bladed variations I've seen are a turboprop version developed and produced under license by the Chinese Air Force. Only 50 of these were ever made and the nose is completely different (long and pointy).
ruzam is online now Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Jan 08, 2015, 09:55 AM
"Some do, some don't"
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jul 2013
921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_S View Post
I don't care about efficiency as long as it's good enough to fly the plane. I'm not doing competition, I'm a scale flyer and will gladly trade a bit of performance for a better scale look. If I only cared about performance I'd just fly profiles or purpose built sport aircraft and not worry about modeling real scale planes. You're welcome to change out the props if you like, I just find it odd that some of the UMX planes come with nice looking scale props and others have that weird looking 2 blade one.
James,

Couple of different options for these, as others have said (But I havn't tried yet, just didn't think of it) The Corsair prop, or another "screw right on option" the Mossie prop... Better yet IMO, get some of the prop savers available for these motors and go with GWS props, My Fav for the Lil' T is the GWS 5043 with a spinner... Many options if you are willing to spend the time searching sites and threads...

Here is a pic of a "totally' tricked out UM T-28, not mine, posted about a year ago on this thread...

Mark R.

old_coastie
old_coastie is offline Find More Posts by old_coastie
Old Jan 12, 2015, 12:12 PM
"Some do, some don't"
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jul 2013
921 Posts
All cleaned up and ready for EFest

Working thru planes that I plan on taking to EFest... Picked up one of the Sport Cub S motors the other day when I was on HH site, and since I had the plane open to do tweaks on ailerons thought "might as well" static tests were positive but will have to wait for EFest to verify whether is was worth the effort... (very little effort)

Since she is all freshened up thought that I would post a pic so that I have a before pic, last year she took a hit to the wing at NEF so at least I'll have a pristine pic in case same happens at EFest....

Mark R.

old_coastie
old_coastie is offline Find More Posts by old_coastie
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:33 PM
United States, NC, Winston-Salem
Joined Jul 2014
156 Posts
Now that's nice!
RC_planefan is online now Find More Posts by RC_planefan