SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 17, 2008, 02:29 PM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Jan 2007
484 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum Dx6i and FMS

Hello All:
All this time I've been flying on FMS using the keyboard as I didn't have a joystick. Recently,
I have upgraded my HZSC's radio to a Spektrum and it has the capability of connecting to a
simulator. My question is how do I connect the Dx6i TX to my PC ? I don't have any game card
but I do have a Creative Audigy 2ZS sound card. IIRC, there's a way to connect the
TX to the sound card.

- What kind of cable do I need (does the Dx6i come with such a cable, I'm away from home
so I don't have the box in front of me)
- Where does it plug in on the sound card
- Do I need to set anything in FMS to indicate that it should accept input from the sound-
card and not the keyboard ?

Thanks for any and all help/advice
teerex is offline Find More Posts by teerex
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2008, 02:48 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Feb 2008
539 Posts
The software you need is:
SmartPropoPlus
http://www.smartpropoplus.com/BlueAndGrey/default.asp

I used the version that was specially made to tie itself to FMS, there is stand alone version too.

I used a standard mono audio cable I had laying around, a stereo cable probably works as well.

It has the standard 3.5mm jack on both ends which is pretty typical on most small electronics now a days.It is not the super small 2.5mm jack and not the big 6.5mm jacks on full sized stereos and such. The cable needs male-to-male as it needs to plug into the TX and the sound card.

I plugged it into the trainer port on the DX6i and the microphone jack on my sound card (actually on my motherboard).

There is another great free sim that works the same way with the audio cable, it has a built in visual scope so you can see the audio signal the software is getting and adjust the volume controls until it is a nice wave form. I also think it is a slightly better sim as you can "see" the plane further away:

CRRCSim
http://crrcsim.sourceforge.net/wiki/

Best wishes
TacoChuck is offline Find More Posts by TacoChuck
Old Jul 17, 2008, 02:55 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,354 Posts
If you have a stereo cable already-try it. Mine didn't work on a JR TX. The mono cable did (Radio Shack). Just plug into the mike port on sound card with ProPlus loaded. There's info in the FMS discussion groups and help section.

fly
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Jul 17, 2008, 03:21 PM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Jan 2007
484 Posts
Thanks, Tacochuck, for the detailed explanation and links. I've downloaded the Smart... software
and I've got plenty of cables lying around at home. I will look at the other (CRRC) simulator
as well, if it supports the HZ SuperCub. I have SC files for FMS with/with-out ailerons which is
why I am using it currently

Thanks for the reply, flydiver. I'll browse the FMS forum and help sections for additional info

Cheers
Old Jul 17, 2008, 09:12 PM
Indianola Iowa
Joined Jan 2008
1,063 Posts
Hi Teerex
You can also get a cable from these people that plugs into usb port on computer and you plug TX into that cable http://www.simblaster.com/servlet/StoreFront
E-Mail them with what you got ( DX6i ) & they will tell you what cable you need .

Jerry
Sayers1 is offline Find More Posts by Sayers1
Old Jul 17, 2008, 09:55 PM
USA, MI, Mt Pleasant
Joined Nov 2005
132 Posts
On the recommendation of my buddy, I had my LHS get the Hitec flight simulator cable for JR radios, and I believe he charged under $30 for it.
Here it is at Horizon Hobby: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=HRC58318
Works great with my DX6i and my buddy's DX7 - he had problems using his DX7 with the mono stereo cable into his sound card.
Rob_D is offline Find More Posts by Rob_D
Old Jul 18, 2008, 10:11 AM
Beware Of The Shills !!!
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teerex
I have SC files for FMS with/with-out ailerons which is
why I am using it currently
Cheers
Fly that for a while but then download more advanced models, the harder / more sensitive a model you can fly on the Sim the easier you'll find it to fly the SC, I'm convinced that it played a huge part in me being able to step up to advanced 3D planes and had downloaded things like the E_flight MiniFuntana and Mini Edge and Katana S30.

By the way does anyone know how to increase response on a control surface on FMS I've downloaded the Extreme Flight Extra 300 and the rudder is very "weak" and it's hard to stay in a hover ????
Witterings is offline Find More Posts by Witterings
Old Jul 18, 2008, 02:04 PM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Jan 2007
484 Posts
Thanks all for your responses. Most of these cables are being sold in the $30~40 range
which is kinda beyond what I'm looking to spend currently. I have both mono and stereo cables
at home so I think I'll try the FMS/Dx6i connection with one of these first. I've already been
flying the actual SC but I would like some FMS experience with ailerons (thanks to Jerry)
as I'm planning to install them on the SC as soon as my servos get here.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 09:52 PM
MrNick
C
Joined Jan 2009
28 Posts
Can I use my trainer cable?
MrNick is offline Find More Posts by MrNick
Old Feb 12, 2010, 10:39 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,354 Posts
Trainer cable is the same as the mono-sound cable but with nicer right angle (maybe?).
You need to use Smartpro-plus and connect it to the sound card. Works but is more hassle than the USB cable interface.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Feb 13, 2010, 03:11 PM
MrNick
C
Joined Jan 2009
28 Posts
Don't want to pay $40 for a USB sim cable. I went to e bay RC and control line, simulator and typed in cable. Found several of them. Bought one for $6.99 including shipping. It also included other cables and FMS CD. Awaiting its arrival.
MrNick is offline Find More Posts by MrNick