HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2004, 08:16 PM
REBEL YELL
Manassas, VA.
Joined May 2003
107 Posts
What software?

Just bought an optio s4i and was wondering what is the best software to use. I tried installing the included acdee or whatever software and it would not install for some reason. Is adobe photoshop the only way to go or is there other good and mabee
cheaper software. I got a free adition of photoshop se with the camera but it does not include my windows 98se operating system
so I may not be able to use photoshop. Any help apreciated.
Ive still got the ulead photo express software that came with
my aiptek 1.3 (That I might sell) but im not sure if this software
is really any good. It will bring in any of the jpegs from the pentax though.

thanks Dave
rogueflyer is offline Find More Posts by rogueflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2004, 09:57 PM
Clintwood, Virginia
Joined Jul 2003
1,146 Posts
I'm using Photoshop CS. Its not what I would call a "user friendly" program, but after a bit of a learning curve (tutorials) its the best I've used.
There used to be a good program that you could download for free on the net, called JASC Paint Shop Pro. Very similar to photoshop, but a lot cheaper! You might look it up and see if its still available.
Newberry is offline Find More Posts by Newberry
Old Oct 07, 2004, 10:24 PM
Am I registered?
Chandler, Tx. USA
Joined May 2003
2,495 Posts
http://www.photofiltre.com/

I won't argue that it's as good as photoshop, but it's the best freeware I've found and works fast...even on 98.

Randy
Randy Due is offline Find More Posts by Randy Due
Old Oct 08, 2004, 12:26 AM
Phoenix
Joined Mar 2003
859 Posts
Adobe Photoshop crashed so much and lost so many hours of work for me that I moved to JASC PhotoShop Pro. It is not easy to use - but it is more stable.

Edit

I re-read your question and have to revise my answer. I find ACDSee the best SW for previewing the pictures. PSP is only for editing. I use the Pentax-supplied ACDSee, now, for viewing all pictures - on the camera as well as on the hard drive. It will also play the videos.

Get a "card reader" and pull the card out of the camera rather than "plugging the camera into the computer" with the supplied cable. It saves batteries. The readers can be as low as $12-15.

Tom
TStokes is offline Find More Posts by TStokes
Last edited by TStokes; Oct 08, 2004 at 12:53 AM.
Old Oct 08, 2004, 07:12 AM
Clintwood, Virginia
Joined Jul 2003
1,146 Posts
I like ACDSee for browsing as well. Being able to select a whole group of pictures, and have ACDSee resize, rotate, or make exposure adjustments is handy.
Newberry is offline Find More Posts by Newberry
Old Oct 08, 2004, 03:12 PM
REBEL YELL
Manassas, VA.
Joined May 2003
107 Posts
How do I get acd to install on my comp. It says a file on the disk
is corrupted or something? It will not install on my comp. My system
requirements are enough. I want to be able to resize and edit my pictures to fit on this website, but maintain higher quality.

Dave
rogueflyer is offline Find More Posts by rogueflyer
Old Oct 08, 2004, 03:21 PM
I need a new plane STAT!!
Rhode Island
Joined Sep 2003
841 Posts
I also use ACDsee and love it for its quick, efficient layout and processing. Its also free! My kids comp uses Win98 and it worked there fine, but that might have been a previous version.
DrBill is offline Find More Posts by DrBill