Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:15 PM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Poll
The More Stupid the Idea, the More Likely to Get Government (Taxpayer) Funding

Quote:
President Obama recently touted algae as a potential source of energy, and now the Environmental Protection Agency has invested in converting spinach into an energy source.

The idea is that "a miniature bio-cell can produce minute electricity from Photosystem I (PSI), the protein in plant chloroplasts that converts light to electrochemical energy."

They won the grant despite "nagging doubts about how the slight power from the panel would convince the judges," one Vanderbilt professor explained.
Everyone who finished high school and thinks this is a stupid idea, raise your hand.
A high school education is required to vote because at least you are taught a little something about physics and the conversion of matter to power.

http://campaign2012.washingtonexamin...-source/501851
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Last edited by Highflight; Apr 25, 2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:18 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
I'll see you that, and raise you a few hundred million. The idiocy never stops in LiberalLand:
Quote:
As the potential collapse of the United States Postal Service looms on the horizon, one Senate Democrat has proposed an unusual plan to solve the crisis.

Senator Tom Carper (D-DE) looks to harvest the electricity that windmill farms produce in order to power a new fleet of battery-operated postal delivery vehicles, replacing the previous '25 to 30 years old' 'dilapidated' vehicles.

The Senator admits the idea is “out there” but concludes that "we need to be thinking boldly, and the postal service needs to do that"
http://nation.foxnews.com/united-sta...ice-wind-farms
Big Foot 48 is offline Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:20 PM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot 48 View Post
I'll see you that, and raise you a few hundred million. The idiocy never stops in LiberalLand:
http://nation.foxnews.com/united-sta...ice-wind-farms
Hey!... create your own damn "Stupid" Poll.

There's plenty of Obama inspired stupid ideas to go around.
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:22 PM
Reserved Parking
Joined Jun 2004
926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight View Post
President Obama recently touted algae as a potential source of energy, and now the Environmental Protection Agency has invested in converting spinach into an energy source.
Exactly where is it in the EPA mandate for them to fund any research, particularly energy source research?

Looks like another case of "mission creep."
P-51C is offline Find More Posts by P-51C
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:23 PM
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
I'm waiting for the plan where they burn dollars to generate the heat needed to turn water into steam which would then turn a generator to create electricity ...

This plan is not all that different from Opus's plan to create a missile net in space by tieing a bunch of dollar bills together.
logan5 is online now Find More Posts by logan5
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:26 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Bold thinking... Revoke the federal monopoly on delivering first class mail and amend the laws necessary to let the USPS die on the vine.
MtnGoat is offline Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:28 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight View Post
Hey!... create your own damn "Stupid" Poll.

There's plenty of Obama inspired stupid ideas to go around.
Sorry about that. To repay for the diversion, I offer the last line in your story:
Quote:
They won the grant despite "nagging doubts about how the slight power from the panel would convince the judges," one Vanderbilt professor explained.
Translated: The electricity generated is measurable if you have a sensitive enough voltage meter, like the kind we buy with government grants.

Today's bonus Obama quote in Rolling Stone interview: “my confidence in the American people is stronger than it was when I came into office.”
Big Foot 48 is offline Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:02 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,208 Posts
If you follow Science Daily magazine, or my posts linking to reported studies, you know that there is a lot of work being done on understanding photosynthesis and using this understanding to produce efficient, cost effective, conversion of sunlight into usable energy. It is clear from the article that the prototype study was universally well thought of, and worth following up. Here is another example.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0412105430.htm

As a criticism, I have not seen a single study of the dark reaction in photosynthesis. This is the reaction (there are several varieties) which "fixes" CO2 into carbohydrate. Cellulose is made up of molecules of the sugar glucose. So it seems to me that the best way to sequester CO2 would be to fix it in glucose, then make the glucose into cellulose into contest balsa.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:02 PM
Joined Sep 2010
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
Bold thinking... Revoke the federal monopoly on delivering first class mail and amend the laws necessary to let the USPS die on the vine.
I think the Gov. should offer all of the USPS infrastructure for sale to the highest private bidder and put all of that money toward the deficit.

I am evil or what?
Gooroo is offline Find More Posts by Gooroo
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:18 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooroo View Post
I think the Gov. should offer all of the USPS infrastructure for sale to the highest private bidder and put all of that money toward the deficit.

I am evil or what?
Heresy! I'm looking for my pitchfork and rousing the rabble!

I love waiting in lines and dealing with surly people. I see the USPS as pathfinders for what we have to look forward to with more tremendous Federal government services, such as Obama care.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Last edited by DaveG; Apr 25, 2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:08 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
I'm waiting for the plan where they burn dollars to generate the heat needed to turn water into steam which would then turn a generator to create electricity ...

This plan is not all that different from Opus's plan to create a missile net in space by tieing a bunch of dollar bills together.
Sorry, "Cap'n'Trade" took care of that idea!
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:10 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thomerson View Post
If you follow Science Daily magazine, or my posts linking to reported studies, you know that there is a lot of work being done on understanding photosynthesis and using this understanding to produce efficient, cost effective, conversion of sunlight into usable energy. It is clear from the article that the prototype study was universally well thought of, and worth following up. Here is another example.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0412105430.htm

As a criticism, I have not seen a single study of the dark reaction in photosynthesis. This is the reaction (there are several varieties) which "fixes" CO2 into carbohydrate. Cellulose is made up of molecules of the sugar glucose. So it seems to me that the best way to sequester CO2 would be to fix it in glucose, then make the glucose into cellulose into contest balsa.
Back to modeling......the ants ate my airframe!
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:34 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,208 Posts
My post office seldom has long lines, and the workers are pleasant, knowledgable, and efficient. Service has been cut back, but you wouldn't know it unless you had been a regular before. I'm on a rural road, with roadside mailbox, and if there is a large package, the mail man will come down the driveway and leave it on the porch. Anyone else remember when city addresses got mail twice a day?
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:46 PM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
448 Posts
Quote:
My post office seldom has long lines, and the workers are pleasant, knowledgable, and efficient. Service has been cut back, but you wouldn't know it unless you had been a regular before. I'm on a rural road, with roadside mailbox, and if there is a large package, the mail man will come down the driveway and leave it on the porch. Anyone else remember when city addresses got mail twice a day?
The UPS or Fed Ex guy will put the package on your porch every single time.
Indiana_Geoff is online now Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:24 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Quote:
The post office closest to me has a line no matter what time of the day and let's just say the workers are usually less than pleasant.

I've actually taken to driving to a more distant post office in a small town, if I have the time. If I time it correctly, the line usually isn't too bad and up until recently, the service hasn't been bad, most of the time. Fortunately, with FedEx, UPS, and the internet, I don't have to deal with the USPS much.

When I was younger, the USPS seemed quite good but it appears as if the bureaucracy is now reaching critical mass. The USPS made sense at one time but now it just appears to me to be another government dinosaur.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG