New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2015, 07:29 AM
Find More Posts by ronj10
I like Golden Age
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Apr 2007
361 Posts
Have not tried it yet. I am in the middle of a complete rebuild. I bought all new foam parts after a bad crash due to those preformed foam hinges failing on one of my ailerons.
I had about maybe 80 flights on it.
I guess it could have been rebuilt, but it would have looked pretty ragged, so I decided on new parts.
Surprisingly, there is a wide variance in price on these parts. I found the best deal at value hobby for spare parts.
I have re-hinged all the surfaces on the new parts. I also made a aluminum engine mount, and did a re-paint so that I could do touch ups for hangar rash and such. I'm just waiting for metal geared servos to arrive to re-assemble.
ronj10 is offline Find More Posts by ronj10
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2015, 01:57 PM
Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
3,211 Posts
Decided to take my old trusty Killer Planes CF rodded Dynam 1200mm Spitfire to the club field as the dedicated "small bird" to fill in between flights while charging batteries from a couple larger aircraft. Turns out the winds kicked up right when I got to the field....at or near 15-18mph and probably higher winds in sustained gust.....it was pretty windy.

Those winds grounded my HobbyKing 1875mm B-17 and the 1600mm HobbyKing DC-3.....So I powered up the little Dynam Spitfire to play in the winds.....first flight was no fun without the stabilizer kicked on. The next four flights were still challenging and enjoyable playing in the winds with the stabilizer kicked on .....however landings were very dicey as I had to move the battery forward which made in nearly impossible to taxi without a nose over.....and landing without a nose over was - well pretty tough as well

This flight's landing was a battle as the winds tried to blow me backwards.....had to use all three surface controls and throttle for the landing!!!

Dynam 1200mm Killer Planes Spitfire in heavy winds 08-27-15 (7 min 24 sec)

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is online now Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Old Aug 28, 2015, 03:55 PM
Find More Posts by Merlin Power
Just throw it up!
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2011
1,496 Posts
Nice job given the circumstances TwistedGrin. Ended up being a lot more gentle than I thought it was going to be. Well done.

It was circumstances like that that has my Spitfire grounded. I was flying on a sunny day but with a large storm brewing. I wanted to get the most flight time before the storm hit, but I underestimated how quickly the storm was brewing and half way threw a flight with my Spitfire the wind went from practically nothing to 80-100km/h winds. I had to land with pretty much full throttle into the wind. I ended up getting it down gently, but as soon as it touched down and throttled off the wind took the Spit and cartwheeled it down the runway.

The cannons ended up getting ripped out of the wings, one of the landing gears ripped out of the wing, the prop was cheese grated, and the spinner all chipped. There was rash from the Tarmac everywhere was well.

It looked like one of those floor gymnists at the Olympics doing cartwheels and flips.

Anyway I had nearly finished all the repairs and had the Spitfire inside as it was freezing in the garage (is winter down here), and as I was testing all the electronics to make sure everything was still working, I heard my son making a car noise "broom broom broom' as kids do. I just thought he was flaying with on is his matchbox cars so ignored him as I tested away. All was good and I went to find the canopy for the Spit to pop it away, happy that it was all fixed up. I found my son broom broom brooming the canopy into the carpet. All the plastic overhanging the foam part of the canopy had broken away.

Kids sometimes. Now I need a new canopy. When you pop it on, it has a saw toothed edge where it meets the canopy.

It was kind of cute, but annoying at the same time. Just need a new canopy and the Spit is ready for action. Can't wait to fly it. I have missed flying this plane.

Cheers, MP.
Merlin Power is offline Find More Posts by Merlin Power
Old Aug 28, 2015, 04:02 PM
Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
3,211 Posts
Awe man......one of those Aarrrrg moments - LOL ...Ya get you a new canopy.....this Dynam airfame is a good one....always dependable and looks good in the air. I still have all three of mine in operation.....starting to get a little beat up from hangar rash but still flyable.

The reason I have three is.....#1 is a Killer planes retrofit mode. #2 is a bone stock light weight model just to have for comparison. I crashed #1 bad and decided to get a second Killer Planes CF rodded retrofit model......dug #1 out of the trash and repaired it with new parts and motor - flies good as new or better (as usual)....So I have all three in operations!! - LOL

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is online now Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Old Aug 31, 2015, 02:50 PM
Find More Posts by Ramirez24
Joined Dec 2007
46 Posts
3rd attempt maiden, Got it

First attempt was a torque roll or Cg was maybe to aft @ 75mm with a nice big barrell roll into ground from hand launch. Damaged to fuse nose, repaired. Raked LG a bit more and also went with 65mm CG. Tried ground take off next maiden, prop strike late into takeoff, somehow ESC was fried. New 40 amp eflite esc and SAFE receiver installed and tested. 3rd maiden attempt hand launch went smooth, flew great with just a little elevator trim. I was ready to write this bird off, Looks good in sky. All first maidens cant go smooth, means that much more when it finally goes right.
Ramirez24 is offline Find More Posts by Ramirez24
Old Sep 01, 2015, 08:57 AM
I like Golden Age
Joined Apr 2007
361 Posts
So. Got it all together with new foam parts. I am waiting for my airbrush to get back from repair and then I can do the camo. I decided to go with desert colors. I like painting my planes because it is than just a snap to fix hanger rash and such because I have the colors at hand.
Last edited by ronj10; Sep 01, 2015 at 09:07 AM.
Old Sep 01, 2015, 09:00 AM
I like Golden Age
Joined Apr 2007
361 Posts
There is nothing scale about my yellow stripes. I have bad eyes and this plane can really disappear against a grey sky unless I have something to help me.
Anyway, I show this picture because since I dont use flaps, I cover up those areas with lightweight spackling. I also use the spackling to cover up seams and such that I want to get rid of.
Old Sep 01, 2015, 09:04 AM
I like Golden Age
Joined Apr 2007
361 Posts
These are my new metal gear servos. I really like them. They move very precise and will be more dependable than stock. 4 cost me $16.50 shipped.
That and the new hinges should help this one survive longer than the last one.