SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 22, 2015, 02:05 PM
Find More Posts by mdennis
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,176 Posts
Hate to ask this at this point, but did you check the fit of your wings against the fuselage?

Whoever built mine built the wings with the first rib perpendicular to the bottom. The sides of the fuselage do not tilt to account for the dihedral of the wings, so there was a pretty good gap where the wings meet the fuselage, particularly on the bottom. I have seen several that are made this way, so it must not have been clear that the first rib needed to be tilted, (or sanded), to account for the dihedral.

I ended up using an epoxy/microballoon filler so the wing would fit up correctly.

Mark
mdennis is online now Find More Posts by mdennis
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2015, 02:17 PM
Find More Posts by Windependence
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,740 Posts
Hi Mark, yes I did check the wing fit a little while back when I was fitting the wing rods. The wings are square to the fuselage. There is a little gap, maybe 1/16", due to the wing rod tubes going through the fuselage having fillets but I am not going to be worried over that. If this causes too much drag I will simply tape em.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old May 22, 2015, 02:28 PM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,176 Posts
I figured you had, somehow the thought never occurred to me until I was putting the plane together to balance it. So I had to add the filler then repaint my fuselage. I think I said pooey at least 3 times.
Old May 22, 2015, 02:32 PM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,176 Posts
How are you going to hold your wings on?

I have seen wings with eye hooks to use a spring or rubber band to hold them together. Mine does not have those, and I am not sure how you would put the spring on. I can't get my hand back into the fuselage to to it. I use tape now, but would rather not.
Old May 22, 2015, 02:37 PM
Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
3,053 Posts
I use eye hooks on mine, with a couple of rubber bands stretched between them. I use a hooked "pullwire" to fish the rubber bands through the fuselage to the other side. Works great-- no need to reach into the fuselage to do this.
dgliderguy is offline Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Old May 22, 2015, 03:08 PM
Find More Posts by Windependence
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,740 Posts
My wing roots have eye hooks in them. If you look at my last picture you can see the rectangle hole cut into the fuselage for the eye hooks. I was planning to do exactly what dgliderguy mentioned, use a hooked wire to fish rubber bands or a spring through the fuselage.
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old May 24, 2015, 03:47 PM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,176 Posts
I thought I would take your advice to hold my wing on with a spring.

I didn't want to just have it open to the inside of the plane so I would have to try and fish it out of the fuselage, so I put a piece of 5/8" diameter fiberglass ballast tube in from side to side. I purchased a spring that is 3 3/4" long that will fit inside the tube easily.

The spring is permanently connected to one wing eyelet and I opened the eyelet up on the other wing so it is a hook. I can slide the wing onto the jointer rods and slide the spring into the tube. Then I can use a hook or a pair of needle nose pliers to grab the other end of the spring and put it onto the wing hook. Works easily.

I was concerned about the eyelet attachment to the wings, but there must be a reinforcement behind the rib because the wood is pretty thick there,

Don't look at the paint on the fuselage. I attempted to touch up the areas I applied the wing joint filler to and the paint spit out instead of sprayed, so now I get to sand it and repaint it. I am not particularly happy with Rustoleum right now.

Mark