Old Feb 12, 2014, 01:35 AM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,452 Posts
Question
cox tee dee .09

I have a brand new cox tee dee .09

Would like to use it but worried about availability of plugs, any substitute out there???

I know for the cox .049 engine line you can get a modified head that allows you to use a OS plug.
super kupfer is offline Find More Posts by super kupfer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2014, 06:08 AM
Florida
Joined Dec 2001
342 Posts
Poke around here and see what you find.

http://coxengines.ca/
CafeenMan is offline Find More Posts by CafeenMan
Old Feb 12, 2014, 08:27 AM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,256 Posts
It is possible to use the .074 head. I believe it takes a regular plug. I would look for a conversion plug that takes a Turbo or Nelson type plug. I would just make one from a burned out plug when it happens, a lathe would be needed, or a friend with one. It is a bit more trouble to use the Turbo plug, but there will be no loss in performance, compared to the standard plugs.
aspeed is online now Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:49 AM
North of the Golden Gate
Joined Sep 2004
267 Posts
Original TD .09 heads aren't hard to find at this time, and don't usually bring all that much.

I'd just collect a stash of original TD heads as you happen to find them, and then worry about a replacement head when you can no longer find originals.

An original TD 09 R/C head takes a standard short plug, as does the Queen Bee .074 head. While these heads have different part numbers, they may in fact be one in the same. For a maximum performance replacement head though, a turbo plug head would almost certainly be the way to go.
silvaire is offline Find More Posts by silvaire
Old Feb 12, 2014, 07:24 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeenMan View Post
Poke around here and see what you find.

http://coxengines.ca/
Poked already there, great site.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 07:32 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,452 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys.

I like the .074 queen bee engine head idea, hope it would fit (got to play with one of those engines when I was a teenager, a little heavy for the power).

I guess if it doesnt work then will have to use my machinist skills and make one (should be easy).
Old Feb 12, 2014, 07:59 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,219 Posts
Yes I can confirm I own both engines. It appears you can also take a QB piston and cylinder and make a TD .074 with the 09 frame. What you may get is higher rpm than the 09.
Amp Abuser is online now Find More Posts by Amp Abuser
Old Feb 12, 2014, 08:50 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amp Abuser View Post
Yes I can confirm I own both engines. It appears you can also take a QB piston and cylinder and make a TD .074 with the 09 frame. What you may get is higher rpm than the 09.
Sweet, that's good to know.

Is the queen bee glow plug thread same as OS glow plug thread?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:41 PM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
901 Posts
I think the crank-pin is larger on the TD 09, so although the cylinders are interchangeable (in the crank-case) you still have to do something about the conrod differences...

The QB glow plug has a standard thread, so anything will fit. The problem is the loss of power, the QB runs better with a turbo head and plug too.
surfer_kris is offline Find More Posts by surfer_kris
Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:20 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,147 Posts
I have flown TD 09s a lot, and really like them. Most heads last a long time if not run squeaky lean. On the other hand I have had a head burn out when the battery was attached. I gave a friend some burned out heads and he got them fixed for Nelson plugs. I found them to be about 200 rpm, and a little smoother than the stock head. I use a 2 bolt battery with about a 4 ft cord and a clothespin type glow plug attachment. I have run mine on Sig Champion 10% nitro, 20% oil, half castor, half synthetic, and Cox 7 x 3.5 prop. Release at 14,500 - 15,000.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Feb 13, 2014, 03:26 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thomerson View Post
I have flown TD 09s a lot, and really like them. Most heads last a long time if not run squeaky lean. On the other hand I have had a head burn out when the battery was attached. I gave a friend some burned out heads and he got them fixed for Nelson plugs. I found them to be about 200 rpm, and a little smoother than the stock head. I use a 2 bolt battery with about a 4 ft cord and a clothespin type glow plug attachment. I have run mine on Sig Champion 10% nitro, 20% oil, half castor, half synthetic, and Cox 7 x 3.5 prop. Release at 14,500 - 15,000.
Having hard time finding a 7x3.5 prop, looks like I will have to go with a 7x3.

Would love to find/try a high pitch 6" prop.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:30 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,452 Posts
My brand new in the box Tee Dee .09 just got a little brother, a Tee Dee .049 (used but very good condition).
Old Feb 23, 2014, 08:03 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,256 Posts
APC may have a 6-5 or 6-6" prop, will likely need to order them as most hobby shops don't carry them. I think they are listed as .10 pylon.
aspeed is online now Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Feb 24, 2014, 02:45 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
901 Posts
Yes, there are plenty of choices from both APC and Graupner when it comes high pitch 6" props. Graupner makes both 6x4 and 6x5 props.The APC 6.3x4 for instance is close to a 7x3 in terms of load.

There are very few 3.5 pitch props in these sizes, but there is one 7x3.5 by Rev-up (in wood), Brodak has had these before at least. It has nice thin blades and it is very similar to the cox 7x3.5 prop.
surfer_kris is offline Find More Posts by surfer_kris
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:52 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,452 Posts
Will have to look into all these options, thanks guys.