HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2004, 10:48 AM
Joined Oct 2004
26 Posts
Dragonfly setup - Having problems w/it

Alright...i've had my dragonfly for about a month and a half. When i got it, it still needed some parts to fly. So a month and a half after i got it, i finally got the parts, got them installed, and got it ready to fly. (i bought it used)

My setup is:
Razor Microheli v2 motor
Ph10 esc
EDP-50 DD tail motor (set up as DD on the heli, no gears)
ics 100 esc
MS-044 HH Gyro
2 GWS Naro HP/BB servos
GWS Naro 6ch Rx
GWS tx
2 Kokam 1200Mah 2s1p LiPo batteries

I played with it a bit yesterday after i got it ready to fly and here's what happens: The motor spins up and the blades go fast enough to get it light on the skids. Then i try to increase the throttle to make it actually lift off for a bit, and the ph10 red LED comes on for a bit, then it the motor slows down even tho i'm still applying throttle. Also, when this happens, the tail motor stops and it starts pirouetting because of it. If i re-arm the tail esc, the tail works again, but it stops when the red light on the ph10 comes on again. I also tried switching from 4.0v cutoff to 5.0v cutoff, and when i did this, the blades would still slow down with increased throttle, but the light didn't come on and the tail kept working.

My settings on the PH10 are:
Cutoff Voltage: 4.0v (changed to 5.0v and tried again)
Current Limiting: Standard (Moderate over-current threshold)
Brake Type: Brake Disabled
Throttle Type: Fixed Throttle (For fp helis)
Electronic Timing Advance: Standard Advance Timing (5deg - 20deg)
Cutoff Type: Soft Cutoff

Also, one of my batteries won't charge. I got these with the heli when i bought it, and one charges fine, but when i plug the other into my Apache 1215 charger, it blinks the red light which means there's an error. I have the jumpers set up right, so i don't know what the deal is.

I hope i've given enough information to get some help. If anyone knows what's going on, let me know. Thanks.
Gizzmoe is offline Find More Posts by Gizzmoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2004, 12:54 PM
Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
626 Posts
OnGuard is offline Find More Posts by OnGuard
Last edited by OnGuard; Sep 04, 2006 at 02:05 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2004, 12:59 PM
Blade Springs "Rock"
Central Coast, CA
Joined Apr 2004
2,141 Posts
If you have the standard 4 channel transmitter, you might try autocalibrating throttle. On my setup I noticed the main didn't kick in to almost half throttle. It flew, no red CC10 lights......but I have a cdrom motor too. It's all I can think of....

G109
Geoffrey109 is offline Find More Posts by Geoffrey109
Old Dec 05, 2004, 01:41 PM
Joined Oct 2004
26 Posts
How do i find out how much current these batteries can supply? I assumed they would work. I've heard of other people using the Kokam batteries successfuly.

How much current SHOULD they supply? (so that i don't get scewed again)

I bought this from a guy on this forum and he had positive feedback... If these batts are messed up, tho...then i guess i got screwed.
Old Dec 05, 2004, 02:19 PM
Blade Springs "Rock"
Central Coast, CA
Joined Apr 2004
2,141 Posts
I have a Kokam 2s1p1500 good for 12Amps.......I don't think it's your battery. I couldn't find a 1200, must be discontinued....so you might have a damaged battery, or enen a tired one......

If your Razor is consuming more then 10 amps........you have trouble......I don't think it is.....but......there's always a chance that your motor may be Tango Uniform too....

G109

Did you try reprograming.......as I suggested.....????
Geoffrey109 is offline Find More Posts by Geoffrey109
Old Dec 05, 2004, 03:19 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2003
5,263 Posts
sounds to me like the lipos are cactus. the lvc is cutting in before you have enough power to take off....because the tail is cutting out also, it kind of indicates that both ESC's are detecting a low voltage.

as geoff said, are you sure they are kokam 1200's ? not etecs ? haven't seen kok1200's before. Do you know what the "C" rating is ? The will need to be at least 5C to run a dragonfly.

What size pinion you running ? You should start with a 10tooth and take it from there.

got another pack you can try ?
OzzieFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzzieFlyer
Old Dec 05, 2004, 04:07 PM
Joined Oct 2004
26 Posts
Yes, i've re-programmed the ph10 several times....i adjusted it to 6.0v cutoff as well.

Still getting the problem where the motor slows down, but the light doesn't come on....and the tail motor stays going.

One of the battery packs has the label still on it. And it says Kokam 1200 7.4v. This is the one that takes a charge.

The other battery doesn't have a label on it (this is the one that doesn't take a charge), but he has written on there "2s1p 1200". They look identical except the label is on one and not the other.

I'm just *slightly* ticked that this guy sold me battery packs that aren't good. If one of them would work i wouldn't have too much of a problem. But the fact that i paid for 2 non-working batteries isn't cool. I don't have any other batteries and i don't know anyone who does so i can't just test it out with someone else's to make sure that's the prob :o(

Edit: One thing i forgot to mention. When i got the heli, it didn't come with a tail prop (that was one of the parts i needed to order) so i spun it up while holding onto the end of the tail just to check things as i was getting it set up at that time. I remember that it did this before, and i thought that maybe the battery was just running out, so i switched the battery. This makes me think i was using the battery with the label at first, then switched to the one without the label. But the one without the label won't take a charge and i don't know why. I don't know if this is important, but i checked the voltage in each battery: the labeled one has 7.44v and the non-labeled one has 5.57v. The non-labeled one won't go at all because of the voltage is already lower than the cutoff.
Last edited by Gizzmoe; Dec 05, 2004 at 04:15 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2004, 04:30 PM
Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
626 Posts
OnGuard is offline Find More Posts by OnGuard
Last edited by OnGuard; Sep 04, 2006 at 02:05 PM.