Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 04, 2014, 09:00 AM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
123 Posts
Discussion
Reichard DG 303 LF technik Jet Extender 8

It's been awhile since I've been doing anything with modeling. I had a radio failure and crash of my 1:3 Ventus 2ax which was a total loss...that bummed me out.
My last scale model is my Reichard DG 100 modeled after my favorite full-scale glass ship (I fly a full-scale DG 101G!)
I attempted a nose mounted motor with a take-off dolly...FAIL!
I kept having prop strikes which not only broke props but destroyed my motor. I was too nervous to hand launch it given how big it is.
So after 1 flight and 3 failed launches where the props broke, I sold off some more stuff, saved, saved and saved some more and ponied up for an extendable EDF. Life is short, get what you really want.
Anyway, here it is.
My AUW is about 18 lbs, I'm hoping it will still thermal well with the higher wing loading. Either way it should be fun. I have my 1:3 scale Axel pilot crammed in there at the moment which doesn't look too bad. He'll have to come out to make room for the 4000mah 5s packs.

Installing the LF technik jet is very easy in this model and fits like a glove. I'm very happy with the way it turned out. Bonus you can remove it fairly easily to switch between models...

Your comments are welcome.

pete914 is offline Find More Posts by pete914
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2014, 01:26 PM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,694 Posts
Looks great. I think we are going to need to see a video of this one!
dion9146 is offline Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
Old Jul 06, 2014, 06:59 AM
Joined Jan 2010
123 Posts
Thanks!
I will definitely get a video of the launch. I'm just waiting on batteries and need to do my final CG setup. The manufacturer recommended CG felt tail heavy the one time I got this thing airborne so I'll have to compensate for that.
I'm really just nervous about the launch dolly. The glider bounces around on it causing a premature launch and stall. Hopefully at 10s full throttle it will climb out regardless.
Stay tuned...
Old Jul 08, 2014, 04:12 AM
bie
maidenflight-postponer
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
787 Posts
Hi,

would propose to use a bungee for the launch: EDF-powered gliders need some speed to make the EDF work efficiently (opposite to propeller-fueled Self Launch Systems and Power Pods, where you can go at a much lesser velocity for climbing)…

Andy
bie is offline Find More Posts by bie
Old Jul 18, 2014, 02:55 PM
Joined Jan 2010
123 Posts
Here's some unedited video of the maiden flight. What a beast!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9f...it?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9f...it?usp=sharing
Old Jul 18, 2014, 03:53 PM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,694 Posts
it didn't look like it wanted to come down!
dion9146 is offline Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
Old Jul 19, 2014, 05:42 AM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,660 Posts
That is trick. Loads of power.
Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old Jul 24, 2014, 09:44 AM
Joined Jan 2010
123 Posts

Just to continue this thread for folks interested in this setup.
I've now got about 20 take off and landings in this ship and I"m really happy.
The DG 303 seems to take the high wing loading with ease. You will have to keep it fast if you want to turn tight but when it tip stalls it quickly recovers. At this wing loading it's not a great climber, but I've climbed well with it above 500 ft. The weight is great for aerobatics though and the ship carries well through loops and low passes.
The jet on this thing sounds incredible.

power setup:
10s 4000mah setup
Castle Creations 120 HV ESC

I'm getting about 4 30-second launches which bring me to about 750 ft. The jet is a pig for current! ESC and motor get quite hot (no ventiliation whatsoever) but have never overheated. I'm running 100% throttle and even with high-end turnigy nanotech 75C batteries I notice the sag in power on the 4th launch. I'm landing with 25-30% charge remaining. I wouldn't go any bigger on the batteries for weight and CG issues.

I would definitely recommend the dolly launch. I have had no issues with it.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 06:03 AM
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,525 Posts
Congrats Pete,
Very happy to hear its working good for you. Are you coming to DE for the aerotow? I'd love to see it.

LEN
RcAerotowing.com/forum
Lbuff1 is offline Find More Posts by Lbuff1