HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2014, 09:18 AM
Ich Fliege
United States, TX, Texas City
Joined Sep 2013
86 Posts
Discussion
Scratch Built FW-190 40" Park Flyer

I was introduced to foam scratch builts about 6 months ago and have completed several projects since then, this is my latest build. I found the basic plan for this FW-190 in the SEMFF WWII combat planes thread and kudos to Ken for the great plans there.

Not having any combat buddys, I decided to modify the basic plan and scale the combat plan up to a 36" wing span, now actually 40", and build it as a sport park flyer. Just wanted to share this with all as this is an excellent flying foamie. Video is a little shaky.

Specs
WS - 40", Dihedral - 5.1 deg, Weight - 22.7oz
Motor -Turnigy Park450 - 1050kv - 175w
Prop - Master AS 9x5
ESC - Hobby King 20a
Battery - 2200ma, 20c (perfect to hit the proper CG at 2.9")
Servo - 3 x 9g

Mike

Fw-190 Maiden (3 min 26 sec)

Steady 10mph wind
goebelmj is offline Find More Posts by goebelmj
Last edited by goebelmj; Apr 11, 2014 at 09:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:57 AM
Fly It Til the Wings Fall Off
United States, ME, Parkman
Joined Apr 2012
534 Posts
Nice looking plane and it seems to fly real stable. I've just started building scratch built foamys and I love it. I'm surprised we don't see more scratch built planes in this section. I just received some depron today and I will start on my next project on Monday. I'm sure I will be building a few of Ken's planes in the future. I've found so many neat plans for planes I'm not sure what I want build first.
scotty909 is offline Find More Posts by scotty909
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:18 PM
Ich Fliege
Joined Sep 2013
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty909 View Post
Nice looking plane and it seems to fly real stable. I've just started building scratch built foamys and I love it. I'm surprised we don't see more scratch built planes in this section. I just received some depron today and I will start on my next project on Monday. I'm sure I will be building a few of Ken's planes in the future. I've found so many neat plans for planes I'm not sure what I want build first.
Hi Scotty,

I had the same delema, so many plans to choose from. The VLF plans are very well done. I'm a military buff so when I found the VLF combat thread I was in heaven. I also completed this F8F Bearcat from there which I scaled up to 36". The F8F is a good flyer as well but it's sporty. Both builds used a 1" pink core with depron outer layers.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:47 PM
Joined Apr 2012
534 Posts
Another nice looking plane!
So far I have only used Dollar Tree foam for my first two builds. I've received an assortment of different thicknesses of depron today and i'm sure I will ne using the pink foam down the road.
Here are my first two builds.

The first is a 4F P51 that I thought was a pretty neat 3D type plane. I built it to practice on before building my Twisted hobbies crack laser. It flies great and is a lot of fun. It's being rebuilt with depron next week.

The second is a delta that I just drew up on the foamboard. It flies but it's not the slow floater I was looking for. It's fast and a bit twitchy. It's also a bit beyond my flying skills.
I'm going to start this plane next week also.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1263895
Old Apr 11, 2014, 06:49 PM
Ich Fliege
Joined Sep 2013
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty909 View Post
Another nice looking plane!
So far I have only used Dollar Tree foam for my first two builds. I've received an assortment of different thicknesses of depron today and i'm sure I will ne using the pink foam down the road.
Scotty that P-51 is cool!! Dan at the combat thread sells depron from his site, ModelPlaneFoam. 16 sheets for $55. A little more than DT foam but is much more consistant in quality. I love the stuff!!

Foam and electrics ROCK!!

Mike
Old Apr 12, 2014, 05:57 PM
Joined Apr 2012
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goebelmj View Post
Scotty that P-51 is cool!! Dan at the combat thread sells depron from his site, ModelPlaneFoam. 16 sheets for $55. A little more than DT foam but is much more consistant in quality. I love the stuff!!

Foam and electrics ROCK!!

Mike
Mike, The P51 is a lot of fun to fly. it really chases its tail with very tight loops and flat turns. The one pictured is getting pretty beat up and that's why I'm making a new one. It really needs some rudder to get through the turns and I have a dumb left thumb at times.

the next time I need some foam I will try ModelPlanefoam. I'm hooked on building these fun foamy planes.

Scotty
Old Apr 18, 2014, 06:21 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,207 Posts
Pretty darn cool Mike. You have inspired me to go out and buy some foam and give foam scratch building a try myself.
semperfi1970 is offline Find More Posts by semperfi1970
Old Apr 18, 2014, 01:18 PM
Ich Fliege
Joined Sep 2013
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperfi1970 View Post
Pretty darn cool Mike. You have inspired me to go out and buy some foam and give foam scratch building a try myself.
Well I gotta tell you, never in a million years would I have imagined that I would be building my own planes out of foam!! I was out of RC for 40 years after many unsuccessful attempts at flight. My wife inspired me to take it up again as a retirement hobby and a co-worker put me on to scratch building. I started flying again last November and built my first in January. I'm now 6 planes in and all are outstanding flyers, even for a noob like me.

Many thanks to all the good folks on these forums, they have done all the hard work and have freely shared the massive amount of knowledge here.

Semperfi, give it a try. You won't be sorry!! Electric motors, foam board and the new transmitters are the way to go!!

Here's number 6, I'm headed out the door to maiden her now.

Thanks Marine,

Mike