HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2014, 11:11 AM
Isaiah 40:31
West Palm Beach, FL
Joined Jun 2000
681 Posts
Question
Work flow for Illustrator or Photoshop.

I use illustrator & photoshop in my professional life, I was wondering if any one else has used these tools and has a good workflo for producing scale model plans.
I wanted to go that route before I wrap my brain around learning a cad program.
Thanx
rtc
rc capo is offline Find More Posts by rc capo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2014, 09:27 PM
Jim C Patrick
Shenandoah County
Joined Jan 2008
804 Posts
It depends . . .

As with every other query about software, it depends on what you are trying to do with it. But I can say that Photoshop will be worthless for design and plans.

Mark Miller (Isthmus Models) uses Illustrator for everything; design and lasercut to prints, instructions, and shipping containers. IIRC he uses the Cadtools plugin, but the newer versions (and the cheaper alternatives*) get by just fine without these.

Drawing programs have advantages over CAD by being easier to learn. They are also easier to design with, especially 'swoopy' things with streamlined shapes like airfoils and boat hulls. On the negative side, drawing is, well, drawing; a flat 2D representation. You have to have a good understanding of drafting projection to make decent plans in a drawing program.

Workflow? The answer depends on 'What are you doing?' Do keep in mind you will probably have to import airfoils. You may want to export to a laser for cutting and most lasercutters need DXF; but if you shop around, you will probably find some taking Postscript or AI also.

*CorelDraw, Xara, Drawplus, or freeware like Inkscape, SK1, Skencil, etc
jcpatrick is offline Find More Posts by jcpatrick
Old Jan 02, 2014, 09:46 PM
West Palm Beach, FL
Joined Jun 2000
681 Posts
Thanx for the free tools. I've traced a few plans to scale up in illustrator. You're right about the 3d for perspective view. I've used Lightwave 3d that have me that option.

Rc
Old Jan 03, 2014, 09:02 AM
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
1,221 Posts
I have been using PhotoShop professionally since version 2.5

It is not a drafting/drawing tool, it is a pixel manipulator. All the work is raster format, not vector.

I am not really that familiar with Illustrator but I do know some people use it for drafting.

Tom
T_om is offline Find More Posts by T_om
Old Jan 03, 2014, 10:26 AM
West Palm Beach, FL
Joined Jun 2000
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_om View Post
I have been using PhotoShop professionally since version 2.5

Tom
Wow, I tell the kids here@work I started on PS 4.0. They didn't know there was anything before CS!
Kids

rc
Old Jan 03, 2014, 11:01 AM
Team of ONE....or...Team Me
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
784 Posts
My 2 cents, first yes one program is vector based and the other is raster based, two different animals.
I have a very good returning customer (CNC related) who sends me his designs in Adobe Illustrator, my CAM program reads it no problem. I then cut the parts for him, again no problems.
DeadTom is offline Find More Posts by DeadTom
Old Jan 05, 2014, 08:52 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,573 Posts
Ditto.

I use Corel Draw for a lot of work and have several customers who use it for entire designs. It will import and export ai files. The laser I use "prefers" working from Corel files.

Vintage1 did a tutorial on an airplane design using Corel a few years ago. I think it was posted in the Electric Scale forum.

charlie

PS I'd also like to emphasize, photo type programs are useless for CAM and laser cutting.

PPS just because a program like Draw or Illustrator are used does not mean you can export a cut ready file. You must use the DRAWING tools, not the bitmap tools, in those programs.
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jan 05, 2014, 08:54 PM
West Palm Beach, FL
Joined Jun 2000
681 Posts
Are there any good rc model build tutorials you know of?

rc
Old Jan 06, 2014, 12:36 AM
Jim C Patrick
Shenandoah County
Joined Jan 2008
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb View Post
Vintage1 did a tutorial on an airplane design using Corel a few years ago. I think it was posted in the Electric Scale forum.
He's done a few, but you're probably thinking of his Designing a Miles M14 Magister in CorelDraw.

Quote:
PS I'd also like to emphasize, photo type programs are useless for CAM and laser cutting. . . . PPS just because a program like Draw or Illustrator are used does not mean you can export a cut ready file. You must use the DRAWING tools, not the bitmap tools, in those programs.
True, I forgot that you can use raster inside the vector drawing. You can do raster inside some of the CAD programs too, with equally useless results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc capo View Post
Are there any good rc model build tutorials you know of?
Good golly! Are there any? This site is overflowing with them! A search for "build log" gives thousands of results. Chances are good there's already a build of whatever specific model you are trying for. From folded foam sheet to balsa stick-built to molded carbon fiber; and everything in-between. Just search for it.
jcpatrick is offline Find More Posts by jcpatrick
Old Jan 06, 2014, 03:31 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,232 Posts
That tutorial is interesting. I have tried CorelDraw, and Illustrator before, and was totally lost. Was so much easier for me in my CAD program. Now it makes more sense.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Jan 06, 2014, 10:09 AM
West Palm Beach, FL
Joined Jun 2000
681 Posts
Good golly! Are there any? This site is overflowing with them! A search for "build log" gives thousands of results. Just search for it. [/QUOTE]

Such a rookie q, but never stepping out of my bounds with programs I've used for years (mostly because my workflow on the job can go@ Mach +1 not giving much time for subtitles)

Thanx for the growth spurt!

rtc
Old Jan 06, 2014, 01:02 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,573 Posts
Jim,

Thanks for that link. It was the one I was thinking of.

rtc, I know how you feel. I use CAD every day, but only on certain types of projects. Time is money so I have made quite a few scripts to ease the tedium. What that means is that my skills are really not that good with other kinds of CAD work, like designing model airplanes. That uses a different set of tools than what I normally deal with.

So, work with whatever is most comfortable for you, as long as it is a vector based program

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jan 06, 2014, 08:15 PM
West Palm Beach, FL
Joined Jun 2000
681 Posts
Thanx Charlie. Just found out that illustrator has cad plug ins. Gonna give that a try before I open my brain up with a new pgm. I have plans for a B-18 Bolo I want to work with.

rc