Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 24, 2014, 02:47 PM
Joined Mar 2006
770 Posts
just about done with this frame LOL. It has been a fun one. I finally learned how to do flips with it.
Using 0720-14 motors and nano 300-45c lipos. Eats up the lipos though.
I have a spare jxd385 frame and a v252 frame. Debating whether what frame to go to next. Torn if i would be able to see the 385 from a distance like i can this one...
I do like these props. They bend back nicely!
muck76 is offline Find More Posts by muck76
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2014, 08:02 PM
Joined Mar 2006
770 Posts
Changed the board to the 385 frame. Used hubsan motors. Still have the oscillating on auto level. Flips and flies fine in expert mode. Hope this one holds up to my learning curve. Next Fc will be a programmable one.
Old Jul 07, 2014, 04:51 PM
AZ
Joined Feb 2007
529 Posts
FNQX
NQX FC, Chaoli 7mm motors, Hubsan x4 props, 3d printed frame, Helimax 350mah lipo.
37.5g RTF

and its fast.
j2m2t2 is offline Find More Posts by j2m2t2
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:05 AM
Rapidly aging user
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined May 2012
126 Posts
Question on new conversion....

Hi guys: Just maidened my nQX fc transplanted in a V929......works fine in stable (blue) mode except...............it pops into agility (red) mode whenever I do a throttle punch. Anybody know why??
Binds, hovers & flys fine in stable, can do full throw movements on the cyclics without it going into agility. Admittedly, I got some beat-up props so vibration is the 1st thing I'll check along w/ my TX set-up (Devo 7e/Devation in airplane mode using DSM2).
Need to go thru the manual some more but hope somebody might know......
Thanks in advance...
Ralph
raw89 is offline Find More Posts by raw89
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:27 AM
Joined Jan 2012
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raw89 View Post
Hi guys: Just maidened my nQX fc transplanted in a V929......works fine in stable (blue) mode except...............it pops into agility (red) mode whenever I do a throttle punch. Anybody know why??
Binds, hovers & flys fine in stable, can do full throw movements on the cyclics without it going into agility. Admittedly, I got some beat-up props so vibration is the 1st thing I'll check along w/ my TX set-up (Devo 7e/Devation in airplane mode using DSM2).
Thanks in advance...
Ralph
Sounds like you got some kind of stagility mode set up

Try this http://deviationtx.com/forum/model-c...-nano-qx#23394
Timmyd463229 is online now Find More Posts by Timmyd463229
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:56 AM
Rebuild that rebuilt rebuild..
United States, CA, La Habra
Joined Feb 2014
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raw89 View Post
Thanks in advance...
Ralph
Hey Ralph,

I think you may have a voltage drop issue when you punch the motors. The nQX FC was originally designed for 6mm motors, and while you can use larger motors such as the MMW 0720-12's, you can't effectively use the 0720-14's or even begin to use the 0820-15s. The higher current load plays havoc with the control loop.

I'm not familiar with v929 motor specs (8mm right??), but the weird behavior you're seeing doesn't surprise me if the current loads are indeed exceeding the capabilities of the nQX FC. All sorts of strange things happen...

Can you use full throttle if you ramp up slowly??
Lochenvar is offline Find More Posts by Lochenvar
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:09 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,124 Posts
v929 uses 8.5mm x 20mm motors. Very common size motor.

I didn't experience the auto switch to agility mode. Or wobbles like some people experienced.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1162

Crazy, that post is from about a year ago. How time flies.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:25 PM
Joined Feb 2014
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
I didn't experience the auto switch to agility mode. Or wobbles like some people experienced.
Interesting that an 8.5mm motor won't work on the nQX FC when installed direct drive, but will work when geared...

The largest motor I've been able to use, direct drive, is the 0720-12. It's got the wobbles in stability mode, but then smooths out when you switch to agility mode.
Last edited by Lochenvar; Jul 14, 2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 06:05 PM
Rapidly aging user
Joined May 2012
126 Posts
Thanks guys.......
Posted my question just before heading to the laundromat ....
Timmy.....will look at my Deviation set-up later or tomorrow AM....
Loch......just tried to go outside to try a throttle ramp-up but the thunderstorm beat me to it.
Daryoon....your posts/builds/schematics/etc are what let me get it built.

I got the 929 for spare parts for my mQX & used the FC for my quad based hovercraft. Need to put some good GWS props on it & oil the bearings. Transplant was plug & play w/ spare parts except I had to reverse the wires on the front 2 motors to get everything in sync.

Thanks again for the "game plans"........will let you know what I find....
Ralph
Old Jul 15, 2014, 08:36 AM
Rapidly aging user
Joined May 2012
126 Posts
Yippee......Loaded a nQX Model.ini file from Devation.....everything seems to work great! No problem w/ repeated th punches, can toggle safe/acro with FMOD switch & all that good stuff.

Now to get the Hovercraft working w/ the mQX board so I can run everything w/ the 7e.....

Thanks guys....
Ralph
Old Jul 15, 2014, 09:12 AM
Joined Mar 2006
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochenvar View Post
Interesting that an 8.5mm motor won't work on the nQX FC when installed direct drive, but will work when geared...

The largest motor I've been able to use, direct drive, is the 0720-12. It's got the wobbles in stability mode, but then smooths out when you switch to agility mode.
Hubsan and wl motors wobble too on x4 frames with this fc in stability. It actually drains the battery faster flying in that mode for me. Agility is fine all day.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:12 AM
Joined Sep 2013
14 Posts
On my 949, nqx fc transplant, i haven't notice much wobble unless a gust hits while hovering.

After a few batteries, I flew up a little past the tops of the fir trees (90ish feet) when the wind kicked up so i chopped the throttle to keep it from going out of sight. I was surprised that it came down like a leaf, side to side as it spilled air, i figured it would tumble. At 20 feet i applied power with a little "aileron" and the quad did a gentle slide and stabilized at 10 feet. Im pleasantly surprise how well it flies.
cqaigy is offline Find More Posts by cqaigy
Old Jul 22, 2014, 06:31 AM
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Jun 2013
1,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochenvar View Post

The 1si / gv2 uses 7x20s so first conversion with nqx FC was with the 1si frame, I replaced the generic motors with 0720-12 and that was a night day difference. I didn't experience any wobbles or stability issues. I tried the 0720-14 motors and experienced insane performance but at the cost of going thru the 1s within a minute and a half. The sweet spot seemed to be around the 0720-12 with a 400mah 1s and udi 717 props, with that setup I got around 5 minutes of some high end speed.

I would also love to have a tester to ensure FETS won't burn out so watching closely to try and build one soon.
Waterbound is offline Find More Posts by Waterbound
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2014, 03:59 PM
Joined Mar 2006
770 Posts
Hmm I put the 20s in my SI and had decent flight times even learning acro. But im using a xd385 frame with x4 motors now. Seem to see similar times but a little less lvc.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 06:39 PM
Joined Feb 2014
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbound View Post
The 1si / gv2 uses 7x20s so first conversion with nqx FC was with the 1si frame, I replaced the generic motors with 0720-12 and that was a night day difference. I didn't experience any wobbles or stability issues. I tried the 0720-14 motors and experienced insane performance but at the cost of going thru the 1s within a minute and a half. The sweet spot seemed to be around the 0720-12 with a 400mah 1s and udi 717 props, with that setup I got around 5 minutes of some high end speed.

I would also love to have a tester to ensure FETS won't burn out so watching closely to try and build one soon.
Fun little FC/motor combo, eh??

I'm using Woodsturning's Efficiency 120 frame, 0720-12's, Hubsan props and the 380mAh (blue) batteries. I'm consistently getting 8+ minutes of flight time and it's proving to be a pretty good acro (agility) trainer. If I go to the 300 mAh battery I give up some flight time but get even better performance. I may have to try the UDI 717 props. He (Woodsturning) has since come out with an Efficiency II where the nQX board can be mounted directly on the frame and you can still utilize the plugs from the bottom.

...thinking about the geared vs. direct drive. These motors put out so much torque that when used direct drive the FC seems to be chasing it's tail due to the almost instant adjustments in motor speed. However when used geared, the roughly 10:1 ratio smooths it out in favor of stability.
Last edited by Lochenvar; Jul 26, 2014 at 12:36 AM.