HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:31 PM
ggc
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
Discussion
Elogger V4 on gas engine

Looking at moving an elogger V4 into a gas boat, will only be using GPS, Powerpanel and optical tacho at this stage.
Can I connect pretty much any battery pack over 6 volts to the battery leads of the elogger, and heatshrink and terminate the ESC leads so that they don't short against anything? Am I likely to run into any other problems?
ggc is offline Find More Posts by ggc
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:59 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,357 Posts
I don't see any problems with that.

I have never tried to run the elogger as a stand alone unit, and I have never done any research on the functionality of the elogger as a standalone unit,

so I am not a wealth of resources in that aspect,

but I do not see any problems with the way that you want to power it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggc View Post
Looking at moving an elogger V4 into a gas boat, will only be using GPS, Powerpanel and optical tacho at this stage.
Can I connect pretty much any battery pack over 6 volts to the battery leads of the elogger, and heatshrink and terminate the ESC leads so that they don't short against anything? Am I likely to run into any other problems?
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:02 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,357 Posts
In fact, this would be worth looking in to;

I think you could log the throttle position and also the RPMs.

Like I said though, this is just preliminary thoughts, because I personally have never looked at the elogger as a standalone unit.

If I get a chance, I will look into it.
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:12 AM
ggc
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
I'm surprised more people from outside the RC world haven't jumped onto some of the low-cost options from the world of RC electronics.
I doubt many people in the motorsport would know that you can get a 10Hz gps + logger + tacho + display+multiple sensors + telemetry and OSD for under $1000.
Now if the software had some laptiming options and maybe 0-100 and 1/4 timing options like Racechrono or Trackmaster, I think you'd have a very cost-effective package.
ggc is offline Find More Posts by ggc
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:57 AM
Saline, MI
Joined Jul 2006
300 Posts
I use several eloggers just like this. You can plug a standard receiver pack into one of the servo ports, but in your case I would plug it in to your existing reciver battery through the connectors normally used for the motor. That will let you monitor your receiver battery as well (always a good thing) and the receiver on/off switch will turn the logger on and off. The whole package you descried draws very little current.
dhares is offline Find More Posts by dhares