HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:59 AM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2012
9 Posts
Thanks for all the awesome advice guys! I am will take all of it into consideration. One thing I don't think i truly considered is the potential danger to not only property but pedestrians with a large heli that was poorly flown and/or maintained.

I am really intrigued at the prospect of eventually building my own one day. I think I have and will enjoy working on them and fixing them just as much as flying them.

I am definitely going to find a decent TX to buy first to use with my existing micros and log more flight time. I have been using the Simulator programs but with a USB game controller and it just isn't the same.

Its also very good advice to go with a model that can be supported by a local shop as far as parts. I also like the idea of supporting a local business vs. a distributor via the internet
sierrabravokilo is offline Find More Posts by sierrabravokilo
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:45 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravokilo View Post
I am definitely going to find a decent TX to buy first to use with my existing micros and log more flight time. I have been using the Simulator programs but with a USB game controller and it just isn't the same.
Probably not. One of the most irritating things for me is that none of these radios are compatable. The spectrum radios pretty much only work with spectrum. Futaba pretty much only works with futaba, and so on. The odds of any high end hobby grade radios working with the micro stuff you have is pretty slim. One of the reasons spectrum is really popular is it works with the blade helis (and blade are popular because they work with spectrum radios) so the radio you buy to use with your little trainers will continue to work when you graduate to the bigger stuff.

Buy as many channels as you can afford, you'll need at least six for the two little collective pitch helis from blade, and for a 450 or larger so I wouldn't get anything less than that. If you ever get into scale and want retractable landing gear or want to turn lights on and off or install a laser you'll need extra channels.
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:52 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravokilo View Post
Thanks for all the awesome advice guys! I am will take all of it into consideration. One thing I don't think i truly considered is the potential danger to not only property but pedestrians with a large heli that was poorly flown and/or maintained.

I am really intrigued at the prospect of eventually building my own one day. I think I have and will enjoy working on them and fixing them just as much as flying them.

Its also very good advice to go with a model that can be supported by a local shop as far as parts. I also like the idea of supporting a local business vs. a distributor via the internet
get a DX6i and a copy of PhoenixRC
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000