HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:19 AM
Bob Imp
UK, Cardiff, Cardiff
Joined Nov 2006
360 Posts
Discussion
Building DH60 Gipsy Moth.

Latest pics. of progress of building DH60 from plans obtained through the Forum. Loosley assembled prior to more sanding to prepare for covering. Nowhere near scale; and I`ve angled the undercarriage forward to avoid undignified nose-overs! Hope this doesn`t offend the scale buffs too much! More pics. when ready to fly!
imp.bob is offline Find More Posts by imp.bob
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:50 AM
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
883 Posts
Really pretty piece of work!

If people say the design has a nose-over problem I would check the recommended CG. Many plans are published with unnecessarily conservative CGs. This gets reinforced by the "tail-heavy planes fly once" crowd and then nobody finds out what is actually best for the plane.

I like Gordon Whitehead's articles and plans. He always experimented with his designs before publishing. For his 44 inch Gipsy Moth, he has the CG at 2 1/2 inches behind the leading edge of the top wing. You can scale that to yours as a check on the design.

Jim
buzzard bait is offline Find More Posts by buzzard bait
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:44 AM
Bob Imp
UK, Cardiff, Cardiff
Joined Nov 2006
360 Posts
Latest on building DH60 Gipsy Moth.[ Some small details to do, fuel tank, rigging, pilot etc. Span 48". weight 2lb.12oz. wing area about 700 sq. ins. More suitable for calmer dats, just like my flying skills!FONT="Georgia"][/FONT][QUOTE=imp.bob;23163373][FONT="Georgia"][B]Latest pics. of progress of building DH60 from plans obtained through the Forum. Loosley assembled prior to more sanding to prepare for covering. Nowhere near scale; and I`ve angled the undercarriage forward to avoid undignified nose-overs! Hope this doesn`t offend the scale buffs too much! More pics. when ready to fly! ]
imp.bob is offline Find More Posts by imp.bob
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:51 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Nice one Bob. Love the registration number too.

Ditto on Gordon Whitehead's work. I have his book on scale models - you're welcome to come over and read it, though it is not allowed out of my workshop these days, being somewhat rare. I met Gordon at numerous flying events in my RAF days, his models always performed impeccably in every respect.
D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck