HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:00 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,998 Posts
The thing about the SIM is that i've crashed that one enough times to know exactly how agile the virtual heli is
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:23 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
1,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
If you can do a sustained inverted hover on a SIM, you can do it in real life. That is if you can get the heli into an inverted position safely in the first place. This is where real life really differs from the SIM. The gyro may not hold as well in real life, the flip rate, power, and pitch settings may be different. Also you have the influence of the wind. Therefore transitions to inverted, whether through a front, back or side flip often looks very haphazard compared to a SIM. It took me hundreds of transitions in all directions to do it safely in real life.

A SIM can really get you so far. I really would recommend a submicro CP to bash around. The Blade Nano CPX is the heli at the moment, being very 3D capable indoors and outdoors. The Walkera MIni CP is more stable and suitable for beginners. I don't recommend the mCPX or the Genius CP because their stock motors are weak and that cause problems for beginners.
Interesting. I want to totally solidify my inverted on the sim before I try anything in real life, but your info is something for me to keep in mind, I appreciate it.

I've been considering a micro recently, you recommend the blade nano above all others? Is it more sensitive than the bigger mcpx, being a nano?
finguz is online now Find More Posts by finguz
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:11 PM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
Interesting. I want to totally solidify my inverted on the sim before I try anything in real life, but your info is something for me to keep in mind, I appreciate it.

I've been considering a micro recently, you recommend the blade nano above all others? Is it more sensitive than the bigger mcpx, being a nano?
Yes the smaller helis are far more agile and even difficult to fly 3d with. If anything makes things easier, its bigger helicopters not smaller.

He's also quite wrong too when it comes to inverted on the sim. Yes you should practise it on the sim untill you can do it in all orientations and such, but the physics in real-life are much more complex, and a simple windgust might really get you in trouble. The trick of going inverted is doing it up high and with plenty of space around. It's easy to bail-out with that in mind.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:34 AM
Joined Sep 2012
59 Posts
So the Blade Nano CPX? if i do buy this should i be able to practice 3D inside?
xRCxHeli is offline Find More Posts by xRCxHeli
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:01 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xRCxHeli View Post
Erm no. If you can do inverted in your living room, you're already past the practice stage.

The guy that was doing flips under the table was a pro.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:56 PM
Joined Aug 2012
412 Posts
Quote:
Ya no not right away anyway. Its hard I just started flipping my Blade MCPX outside with tons of room and i crash a lot haha. There is no way I would try it inside yet.

But the little ones are fun they take a beating and you can do silly things that your not ready for with them;
KTMDirtFace is offline Find More Posts by KTMDirtFace
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:42 PM
Joined Sep 2012
59 Posts
ok thank you
xRCxHeli is offline Find More Posts by xRCxHeli
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:00 PM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,086 Posts
Quote:
No, despite what you might assume, smaller helicopters are more difficult to do 3d with and many smaller helicopters can not really do 3d to the full extent. Choose a bigger helicopter if you want to practice 3d.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:18 PM
United States, OR, Eagle Creek
Joined Apr 2007
166 Posts
inverted

Hi guys i have been doing flips and rolls with a mcpx outside and yes the tail blows out lots. i have been doing short inverted flight mid flip, have also been fliping and rolling a 130x and just picked up a nano, i need to spend more sim time inverted but i find that the mcpx seems to be the best small heli and yes mine is stock HH parts except for the swash. the 130 is very good to transition into larger helis well i'm no pro but simply put since micros my flying has really progressed
motorhead540 is offline Find More Posts by motorhead540
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:44 PM
Joined Aug 2006
59 Posts
here's my take on learning inverted hover/flight as i've written in other related threads...

i strongly agree with zadaw! get a nice micro heli to bash for inverted lessons. although the sim can be a good tool to visualize and coordinate your senses, it can never replicate the dynamics of actual flying.

likewise, a micro heli is also more difficult and twitchy to handle compared to a larger stable machine, so in the process you will learn to get your act together quicker than usual otherwise the little thing is gone.

in my case, i got a hisky FBL100 which i highly recommend! i also have a genius cp which is also a decent performer, more nimble but shorter flight times due to small lipo. the FBL100 behaves like the .60size nitro of micro helis in my opinion. it has more power to spare, longer flight times, and is virtually crash proof if you fly on grass. i swear it is hands off stable inverted hover inches off the grass on a nice calm day! it can also take on some amount of wind just the same.

i learned inverted hover tail-in first during the first couple of weeks i had the FBL100. something that never happened with my .60 nitro bird 15years ago when the constant fear of crashing always lurked behind my mind!

now crashing is never an issue! in fact, i still crash so many times trying new stuff but the good thing is a micro heli is pretty much like a simulator. you just reset by picking it up again then go! by the way, i never used a simulator! although i realize its many benefits, it still has that synthetic feeling that cannot even come close to flying the real thing. it should provide a better platform for trying the more advanced stuff though...

but for learning simple inverted hovering and mild 3d, the micro heli is more than enough to do the job. buying a micro may even come out cheaper than the cost (and cumbersome repairs!) of crashing a nice 450! here on it is just a matter of choice and a very simple one at that. would you rather be spending more quality time flying and learning new things? or would you rather watch your beloved 450 do the funky chicken, walk home to fix the sorry mess in front of you, coz you pushed the sticks the wrong way?
hawk01 is offline Find More Posts by hawk01
Last edited by hawk01; Oct 21, 2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:53 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead540 View Post
Hi guys i have been doing flips and rolls with a mcpx outside and yes the tail blows out lots. i have been doing short inverted flight mid flip, have also been fliping and rolling a 130x and just picked up a nano, i need to spend more sim time inverted but i find that the mcpx seems to be the best small heli and yes mine is stock HH parts except for the swash. the 130 is very good to transition into larger helis well i'm no pro but simply put since micros my flying has really progressed
What swash do you use in your mcpx?

I just bought a mcpx and compared to my 450 it's pretty squirrelly. I feel if I get good at anticipating this heli's actions and feel, flying my 450 will seem totally easy.

BTW do you fly with 30% expo, like suggested?
Last edited by finguz; Oct 22, 2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:14 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,136 Posts
With the mCPX, it is generally recommended that you fly with no or little expo when you fly 3D. In fact, it is pretty tough trying to learn 3D with the stock mCPX. The main problems associated with the mCPX are tail blowout and the motor getting bogged down when inverted. Both of these can be solved at the same time by going brushless since the esc drives he main motor directly and thus bypassing the main board. If you have already got some experience with basic mild 3D moves, I would say stick with the stock mCPX. Otherwise, I would seriously consider going brushless.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:00 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
With the mCPX, it is generally recommended that you fly with no or little expo when you fly 3D. In fact, it is pretty tough trying to learn 3D with the stock mCPX. The main problems associated with the mCPX are tail blowout and the motor getting bogged down when inverted. Both of these can be solved at the same time by going brushless since the esc drives he main motor directly and thus bypassing the main board. If you have already got some experience with basic mild 3D moves, I would say stick with the stock mCPX. Otherwise, I would seriously consider going brushless.
I could understand no expo for 3d it seems hard to flip over back and forth. I just fly sport and 30% expo seems too much.

Brushless kits are way overpriced for most micros but would be really nice on the mcpx.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:21 PM
Umm what just flew off my ship
Joined Jan 2010
1,016 Posts
I would go with the 130x. Good power, good stability. Cheap parts... and it responds nicely... I learned inverted tail first hurricanes with that. As for the Expo you will have to find a mix your comfortable with and as you improve and build muscle memory that will decrease.
GhostFlyer1 is offline Find More Posts by GhostFlyer1
Old Nov 04, 2012, 02:19 PM
United States, OR, Eagle Creek
Joined Apr 2007
166 Posts
I use a micro heli swash made the heli feel more precise still has tail blow out issues but it is stock except for the swash and the eflite extended tailboom i can flip and roll it indoors on club indoor nights and outdoors anytime been working the nano quite a bit now and still fly the heck out of the 130x now really starting to get comfortable with my 450 pro working on getting my 30 sized nitros ready for flips and rolls soon love this hobby bring on the helis
motorhead540 is offline Find More Posts by motorhead540