HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:17 AM
Joined Jun 2011
16 Posts
Discussion
ICE2 HV 160 weird motor clicking

OK, here’s a weird one… I’m using an ICE2 HV 160 in a 12S 7500 mAh setup to drive a Rimfire 65cc propped at 25x12. I made a few adjustments to my ICE2 HV 160 using CastleLink. I upgraded the firmware, changed the brake and voltage cutoff settings, and the motor timing.

When I took off there was a distinct “click-click-click” sound emanating from my plane. It was very noticeable, pretty much everyone at the field stopped and did a “what’s that sound!?” There was a constant cadence to the clicking that did not change due to load or throttle setting. The click repeated about one click every second. It was not a typical screech or clunk of an ESC losing timing.

I quickly landed to see what was going on. There was no apparent mechanical issue. Holding the plane stationary and running up the throttle to 50-75% would produce the clicking. It was not as pronounced as in the air with the prop noise from the static loading but the there was definitely a “click” on about a one second interval.

I ran home and grabbed my laptop. I tried several things to eliminate the click: restored the brake, timing, and cutoff settings used previously. I also downgraded the firmware, upgraded the firmware, put more points in logging, and took some points out of logging, but the clicking was still unchanged after each CastleLink modification.

I vaguely remembered a posting about ESC logging causing an issue a long time ago, so as a final measure I completely disabled logging. The click was gone afterwards. I flew several flights afterwards and did not hear any clicking whatsoever. The odd thing is I have used this same ESC/motor/aircraft on dozens of flights with logging enabled in the past and never heard the clicking before.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Should I continue to fly with this ESC? Maybe use the ‘factory defaults button’ then reenter all my settings? Are there any known issues with logging?
jhutchey is offline Find More Posts by jhutchey
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:07 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,377 Posts
What version firmware are you using?

What’s your PWM? If it’s outrunner that could be the problem. Try 8, 12, and 16 and see which is the best. Also reduce the timing. Try 0, 1, or 2.

In older versions data logging caused problems like that. Try turning off data logging and see if that helps.

If none of those help you can call Tech Support and see if they have any suggestions.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:12 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,205 Posts
Check out these threads....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1616297

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1627730

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:13 PM
Joined Jun 2011
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
What version firmware are you using?

What’s your PWM? If it’s outrunner that could be the problem. Try 8, 12, and 16 and see which is the best. Also reduce the timing. Try 0, 1, or 2.

In older versions data logging caused problems like that. Try turning off data logging and see if that helps.

If none of those help you can call Tech Support and see if they have any suggestions.
I tried changing the PWM from outrunner to 8kHz but that had no effect. Also tried changing the timing. The only solution is to turn the logging off. The noise goes away when logging is off. Turn it back on and the noise comes back. Turn it off and it's gone again.

Pretty much the same thing with 3.27, 3.28, or 4.01 firmware.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:21 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutchey View Post
I tried changing the PWM from outrunner to 8kHz but that had no effect. Also tried changing the timing. The only solution is to turn the logging off. The noise goes away when logging is off. Turn it back on and the noise comes back. Turn it off and it's gone again.

Pretty much the same thing with 3.27, 3.28, or 4.01 firmware.
Turn the sampling rate way down, if this doesn't cure it then yes, you will have to turn it off. Basically what is happening, is the CPU in the ESC is being overloaded, and is shutting the motor off momentarily, which is causing the noise...

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:27 PM
Joined Jun 2011
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTtoooo View Post
Turn the sampling rate way down, if this doesn't cure it then yes, you will have to turn it off. Basically what is happening, is the CPU in the ESC is being overloaded, and is shutting the motor off momentarily, which is causing the noise...

SteveT
Thanks Steve,

I also tried reducing the number of parameters logged and reduced the sample rate to the minimum (1/second) but that didn't help.

I guess I'll just keep it disabled.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 05:23 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,377 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Steve,

I also tried reducing the number of parameters logged and reduced the sample rate to the minimum (1/second) but that didn't help.

After getting a good setup I usually turn off the log also.

You need to go to the CC Download page and fill out a Bug Report. CC probably thinks that the problem is solved but we need to keep reminding them that it is not.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:28 PM
Half way there
USA, FL, Ocoee
Joined Sep 2008
1,203 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Steve,

some people dont have the poblem with the larger esc's apparently. I have experienced it with 3 different ICE 100s with different motors, different firmwares, etc. my ICE lite 50 doesnt do it. If I want to use the logger I get my readings then turn it off
bill clark is offline Find More Posts by bill clark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3D printing small parts
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:24 AM
Joined Jun 2011
16 Posts
Update: I only got about a dozen uneventful flights with the logging turned off.

When I had the plane out the other day there were a few times when I thought the motor sounded funny but wasn't positive. My suspicions were confirmed shortly afterwards though.

During takeoff as I was climbing out there was a horrible vibration. I reduced power and it stopped. Giving more throttle immediately brought the vibration back again.

Once I (quickly) got the plane back on the ground I found that the motor sounded fine at up to about 80-90% throttle but any higher and the RPMs dropped and things started vibrating like hell.

Once I got the plane home I pulled everything apart and found no mechanical issues but at high throttle it appeared that the ESC was losing sync. I removed the ICE2HV160 and installed a different ESC and was able to use all throttle ranges with the same motor and prop with no strange sounds or vibration.

Given the fact that I had many good flights, then the clicking, then the losing sync issue all with the same ESC settings I'm assuming that some component was marginal and is slowly failing. I'm packing up the ESC and sending it back for repair today.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 01:41 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Sep 2009
449 Posts
Something is not right with the ICE2 160HV controllers. Many reports on these letting the magic smoke out lately.
3Dmuse is offline Find More Posts by 3Dmuse
Old Apr 21, 2012, 01:45 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barzaun View Post
Something is not right with the ICE2 160HV controllers. Many reports on these letting the magic smoke out lately.
Absolutely correct..... these pics of the ESC that was in my 89" Slick, this happened about 3.5 weeks ago....

And see this post...

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2012, 04:51 PM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,116 Posts
Hi,

Is the smoking Castle ESC never going to stop?
Is other manufacturer ESC's behaving like this also?

Steve, what happened in Your case - was You just flying and the ESC smoked out of the blue?

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
Old Apr 21, 2012, 05:01 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossee View Post
Hi,

Is the smoking Castle ESC never going to stop?
Is other manufacturer ESC's behaving like this also?

Steve, what happened in Your case - was You just flying and the ESC smoked out of the blue?

/Bo
1st question, I have no idea, but at this point I don't trust the ICE2-HV160s...
2nd question....no...

I had five glorious flights on a brand new plane, and on the sixth flight, I decided to "let it rip"...did a Knife Edge spin, got that "growl" that motors get, then got silence...and lots of smoke!!

According to Bernie Wolford at Castle, that growling sound is the motor loosing sync...according to the folks at Aeromodel/Hacker brushless, it is not. It is just the motor trying to flex (and in the case of a good motor not doing so), and the prop cavitating... Since Aeromodel sells both motors and ESCs, I am more inclined to believe Aeromodel...

SteveT
RCG Plus Member