Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:34 AM
Russia,Moscow
Joined Jan 2007
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
Anyone know if this will fit in the back of a VW Golf or GTI four door? If yes, does it go straight in or do you have to go in at an angle?
I carry my 72" inside the Golf. Remove the shelf in the trunk and put it on the floor upside down to have it clean from the wheels. Fold the half of the back seat, push forward and fold forward the passenger seat. Put the plane in. The half of stab/elevator would be lying on the central hand rest. Thehalf of the passenger seat on the back would be empty. I believe you could squeeze the fuse frough the door, not sure which one mine is 3d
vic_bull is offline Find More Posts by vic_bull
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:06 PM
Joined Jan 2010
537 Posts
Flew my first flight on the OS 33 powered Edge. Its only downside is I can't bring any other planes to the field with me. Then again why would I?
Josef086 is offline Find More Posts by Josef086
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:08 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,205 Posts
It's definitely a great flying plane!!

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:07 PM
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined May 2004
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer95 View Post
In this size 6 or 8s almost makes no difference in performance or weight...
6s 5000mah is more egual to 8s 3700mah.
Motor weight being the same the one with the higher kv for 6s tolerates more current.
One disadvantages for 6s might be the need for thicker esc wires and connectors.
I prefer 6s for the one pack simplicity.
So why go 8S? It seems the only advantage with 8S is you can balance the plane a little more nose heavy without adding weight. The Hacker A60-6XS and A60-5S make about the same peak power (~2500W). How do the actual thrusts compare? Others have said the Edge flies much better on a larger 20-21" prop which is only possible with 6S. I noticed that Joe Smith seems to always fly his Edge on 6S. Is 8S (with smaller prop) better for high speed precison and 6S (with larger prop) better for slow 3D? Thanks.
Neil_SC is offline Find More Posts by Neil_SC
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:15 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil_SC View Post
So why go 8S? It seems the only advantage with 8S is you can balance the plane a little more nose heavy without adding weight. The Hacker A60-6XS and A60-5S make about the same peak power (~2500W). How do the actual thrusts compare? Others have said the Edge flies much better on a larger 20-21" prop which is only possible with 6S. I noticed that Joe Smith seems to always fly his Edge on 6S. Is 8S (with smaller prop) better for high speed precison and 6S (with larger prop) better for slow 3D? Thanks.
You get a lower am draw with higher voltage....

As to only being able to run a 20" prop on 6S, au contraire mon frere.. I am running a 20X10W Xoar carbon gas prop on my A60-5S on 8S....it comes down barely warm, and it has monumental power!!

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:49 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,356 Posts
if you have a motor with a low enough KV then you can run a 20" prop on 8s, its just those motors are not very common. ken at subsonic will rewind a motor for you, but other motors typically are heavier to get a low enough kv to run 20" props on 8s (of course there are exceptions, just throwing out stupid generalities and stereotypes)
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:26 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Nov 2008
116 Posts
Edge is coming along nicely. The hardest part so far was the wing tube it was way to tight, I had to sand it down to get it to work correctly. I'll be ready to install the electronics once the epoxy dries. This kit is a breeze to put together. It's such a big plane moving it around to work on can be a challenge.
rogersrick123 is offline Find More Posts by rogersrick123
Last edited by rogersrick123; Dec 10, 2012 at 02:32 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:40 AM
USA, VA, Narrows
Joined Mar 2009
1,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersrick123 View Post
Edge is coming along nicely. The hardest part so far was the wing tube it was way to tight, I had to sand it down to get it to work correctly. I'll be ready to install the electronics once the epoxy dries. This kit is a breeze to put together. It's such a big plane moving it around to work on can be a challenge.
I know it is to late but never sand the wing tube. You could have made it weak and take a chance of it breaking.
skippy78 is online now Find More Posts by skippy78
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:32 AM
Joined Jan 2010
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
Anyone know if this will fit in the back of a VW Golf or GTI four door? If yes, does it go straight in or do you have to go in at an angle?
I got mine to fit into the back of my 4 door Focus sedan. Here is what I do.

1)Make sure the trunk is empty
2)Open up all 4 doors.
3)Move both front seats forward and fold them over.
4)Lower the rear seats (to open up space to the trunk)
5) Put the plane on its it pass the tail through the rear drivers side door. what you want is part of the tail to stick out the other side but you want the nose all the way in,
6) Move the noes up towards where the head rest is on the drivers seat.
7) Your tail show now be inside the car. Very carefully push the tail into the trunk. You may need to angle it a little to get it in. What out for the tail wheel its likes to get stuckk
8) Once the tail is in move the plane as far back as it goes before for the fuse gets stuck.
9) Slide the front of the plane over to the passager seat. The seat will need to remain forward but you can now put the seat back up if you would like,
10)Driver seat is clear to move where you like,

After the plane is in I am able to put my gas can, radio, and any tools I bring in to the trunk. The wings fit nicely by seating on the backs of the rear seats and going into the trunk.
Josef086 is offline Find More Posts by Josef086
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:03 AM
Sweden, ┼kersberga
Joined Aug 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
I think many go for 8s because they already have 4s packs for the smaller planes and just do them in series. Higher voltage usually means better efficienty but in case of serial packs it also usually means more weight and complexity.
If the weight is really needed to balance the plane then the heavier A60-5S on 7-8s should do better and be more efficient at the same power output otherwise the lighter A60-6XS on 6s 5000mah gives a lighter and more forgiving plane for 3D.
Flyer95 is offline Find More Posts by Flyer95
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:39 AM
Team 3DHS
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Nov 2008
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Elevator and H-stab upside down????
joesmith285 is online now Find More Posts by joesmith285
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:09 PM
A tale of two slickies
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Feb 2010
442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmith285 View Post
Elevator and H-stab upside down????
I had assumed he did it on purpose. Will it make a difference... Wait a minute, yes it will. Control horn placement. awww man.
0gravity is offline Find More Posts by 0gravity
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:20 PM
Joined May 2004
791 Posts
Quote:
Is the stablizer/elevators on upside down?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:22 PM
Joined May 2004
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy78 View Post
I know it is to late but never sand the wing tube. You could have made it weak and take a chance of it breaking.
I have the same problem with my Edge. When I first trial fitted the plane together after it arrived, I could barely get the wings on and off. What has everyone else done to make this easier? Maybe some baby powder or some graphite?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:26 PM
A tale of two slickies
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Feb 2010
442 Posts
Quote:
I have the same problem with my Edge. When I first trial fitted the plane together after it arrived, I could barely get the wings on and off. What has everyone else done to make this easier? Maybe some baby powder or some graphite?
I use silicone spray. works awesome.
0gravity is offline Find More Posts by 0gravity