Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 18, 2003, 01:27 PM
Loundon, Va. USA
Joined Feb 2001
182 Posts
It was a good day... It was a not-so-good day

The good day was that my Mustang finally got maidened! YEAH! After sitting on the bench for a couple months due to me having cold feet it was finally time. Mmarshall did the maiden on it (Thank you!) got it trimmed out, landed and then coached me through my first flight on it. Without him I doubt it would have gone so successfully. LIke everyone else has said, it is touchy on the elevator and likes to land fast.
My landing was no where near as pretty as Mike's, but aside from a broken prop, some minor scaring from the pavement, and a broken trailing edge tip I got it down successfully :-)

Setup is:
Stock motor
2 HS-55s (elevator, aileron - makes ROG fun)
800mah NiMH battery
8amp GWS ESC
AUW 16 1/2 - 17 oz
nalondivad is offline Find More Posts by nalondivad
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2003, 01:31 PM
Loundon, Va. USA
Joined Feb 2001
182 Posts
The bad day was my Impress finally died.
It was my first experience with radio failure. I was dead sticking it in when for some unexplained reason it rolled over and dove straight into the pavement from about 50 feet.
Later I reconnected all the electronics, the control surfaces moved for few seconds then nothing.. I put a volt meter to the battery and it read 9v. Possibly a bad reciever ( I was using an old old Futaba Conquest AM ) or perhaps a bad ESC? still investigating.
nalondivad is offline Find More Posts by nalondivad
Old Aug 18, 2003, 01:55 PM
Tee Sqaured
Langley, B.C, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
4,548 Posts
good job with your P-51!

A tip to get her in nice and slow is not to bother with the LG and land on grass, When i was flying my P-51, i would bring her in with about 1/3 power, and let her get a easy nose high attitude and deduse the power as i got lower and lower, then i cut the power at about 3 feet, keep the wings level and down she comes for a nice smooth landing.

Sorry about your impress! hope you can try and fix her.

My P-51 came to an almighty end when i was flyign around other TX's useing a GWS RX, mega glitch on a high speed pass, ouch!

Good luck with yoru P-51, and happy landings!

Thomas
Thomas Manson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Manson