HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2008, 12:19 AM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,610 Posts
Help!
Looking for go fast JW60 Mods

I'm looking for advice on 'go fast' mods for my next JW60.
I'm considering fixed trailing edge sections both inboard and outboard to reduce flutter and aerodynamically clean up the tips and the area where the wing meets the fuse.
Should I bother? Could this possibly hurt more than help top speed/flutter?
If it's a good mod, how much? I was thinking about 3 to 6" at root and 3Ē tip.
Also, should the split be 90 degrees to the TE or parallel to the centerline?
I did my Bat parallel but Iím not sure if it made any difference. I didnít get any noticeable flutter at 150+
Thanks,
stu
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2008, 12:59 AM
The sky is my playground
Near the Ocean in Hunt. Beach Calif.
Joined Apr 2006
999 Posts
Stu , my fifty ouncer is just on the edge of being heavy enough in 20 to 30 mph so I suppose a sixty oz. would be strong enough to get through 30 to forty. Its only sixty inches so I dont think alot more weight is going to help It hasnt been the case in my two JWs ive built but I would think there would be a cap as to a weight limit And I would think parrallel to the centerline would be the way to go if your gonna split the trailing surfaces best thing is to build one and see what is does! You may be on to something good luck jimmy in h.B.
flyboyjimi is offline Find More Posts by flyboyjimi
Old Mar 14, 2008, 07:42 PM
Sioux Falls SD
Joined Nov 2004
20 Posts
My last two JWs were 72 and 74oz. Both flew well but need a good 25 to 30mph wind to get em up on step. I sprayed the fuses on all my JWs with bedliner at work, so piling into to rocks doesn't even hurt em. I've piled them in several times in the 120-150mph range to pick it up and keep flying with no damage.

Would I build one that heavy again? Probably not. They slice through big wind and crappy shear but you lose the ability to make tight turns. At that point it's more like driving a bus. Personally I don't think I'd go over 60oz. if i were to do it again.

My heavy ones hit 150 frequently just from the shear weight, but we seldom get the wind to harness its potential, it really needs 30+mph to start getting into its element.

Happy building

Ryan
SlopeCrazy is offline Find More Posts by SlopeCrazy
Old Mar 14, 2008, 08:47 PM
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,610 Posts
Thanks for the replies.
All my slopers are heavy, that's a given.
What I'm really looking for are tips to help keep my plane together and controllable at high DS speeds.
I don't mind driving a bus if that bus can hit 200.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:38 PM
Maker of TRUE EPP records
san diego
Joined Aug 2007
390 Posts
Contact DStunner (Ryan) or Koth( Joe) both have more experience than anyone I know with the JW's, ryan built and flew the record holder at 201, his stuff is smooth and stiff.

good luck

B
L2 Airframes is offline Find More Posts by L2 Airframes
Last edited by L2 Airframes; Mar 16, 2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 09:13 AM
USA, CT, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2004
2,600 Posts
I would cover it in Karl's (Predator) Burly laminating film. I haven't tried it yet but all of the results have been very positive.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821598
Sleedo is offline Find More Posts by Sleedo
Last edited by Sleedo; Mar 16, 2008 at 09:21 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 10:10 AM
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,610 Posts
Thanks Bill, I'm hoping Ryan and JOe will respond to this thread. Both of them have given me tons of advice before. BTW: I think Ryan's JW record is 201.
Sleedo: I'm interested in seeing a burly covered plane. I don't want to start another controversy but IMO, I'm not sure I consider the burly covering in the spirit of the rules (?) for a foam plane. I don't want to break records like that.
Here are a couple of pics of my last JW (78.5oz) and my 163mph Bat (47oz). I can build smooth too.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 11:38 AM
USA, CT, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2004
2,600 Posts
Beautiful work there! I see what you mean, didn't realize you were after a record. I'm placing an order for Burly today I hope and will check it out for myself, no chance of a record out this way unless I head for Mt. Washington. I'm really interested to see how much time I'll save in the building process.
Sleedo is offline Find More Posts by Sleedo
Old Mar 16, 2008, 05:38 PM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,089 Posts
I don't think Burrly is breaking the foamie rules at all. I think once a few people see and feel a burrly covered plane, they will agree.

Burrly is a single layer of soft iron on covering. When you squeeze a burrly covered plane it is actually softer than a double strapping tape and profilm covered airframe.

Eric
Ezza is offline Find More Posts by Ezza
Old Mar 16, 2008, 06:15 PM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezza
I don't think Burrly is breaking the foamie rules at all. I think once a few people see and feel a burrly covered plane, they will agree.

Burrly is a single layer of soft iron on covering. When you squeeze a burrly covered plane it is actually softer than a double strapping tape and profilm covered airframe.

Eric

I agree,,Iron on is iron on somes thicker and better,,my burly bee is tough but still shreds and tears and has parts I have to iron back down just like any other stuff..

It's good for picking up a little extra weight.

I actually like the softer laminating film Karl sells,,still smoothe but better to work with..JMO

Nick
Jantar2A is offline Find More Posts by Jantar2A
Old Mar 16, 2008, 08:00 PM
Maker of TRUE EPP records
san diego
Joined Aug 2007
390 Posts
people will start making noise about foamie rules when you glass wings and surfaces, a new covering sounds interesting especially if it will add to torsional strength

B
L2 Airframes is offline Find More Posts by L2 Airframes
Old Mar 16, 2008, 08:54 PM
gas tires and oil
malad, idaho
Joined Dec 2004
2,456 Posts
hey stu,
i've been building them with three layers of 3M 893 tape top and bottom. the first one on 45* the second opposite and the third end to end. should be about 58 oz. if you goop between the layers you'll be over 60. mendels came in at 64 like that. i like it at 65 to 68 oz myself. then i lay one piece of scotch extreme over the LE and around the tip to make the LE smooth.
cover the bottom first and wrap a good inch+ around the TE to the top rear. on the top wrap the LE around at least 3/4 ".
4-40 rods with a clevis on each end (helps to be slop free), lots of thinned goop and tape on the nose. pot the fin in with epoxy.
225mg or 5245 servos fit nicely.
they were going 140 mph + easily last week!

probably stuff you already know stu!

marty
prplgoat is online now Find More Posts by prplgoat
Old Mar 17, 2008, 08:44 PM
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,610 Posts
Nice looking planes Marty. I see you build porkers like me.
Notice any flutter at those speeds?
What are you using for your CG?
All ya'll are probably right about the new covering but I'm a slow learner and tape/monokote is what I know, what I'm good at, and what I'll stick with on this build.
My planes are strong and stiff enough to reach 200, what I'm looking for is reducing drag and flutter as I approach those speeds.
stu
Old Mar 17, 2008, 09:59 PM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,225 Posts
antagonistic post, but real as allways

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000MPH
My planes are strong and stiff enough to reach 200, what I'm looking for is reducing drag and flutter as I approach those speeds.
stu

Yo dude,, My strongest recomendation is that you use some good digital servo's,,this will be your best freind for reducing flutter,,

Just for Stuff and grins,,I'll be at weldon with a new JW built just for going 250mph + in about 2 weeks if you really want to see what it takes to make a JW go really FAST!,,,,Be there

Nick
Jantar2A is offline Find More Posts by Jantar2A
Old Mar 18, 2008, 01:17 AM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantar2A
Yo dude,, My strongest recomendation is that you use some good digital servo's,,this will be your best freind for reducing flutter,,

Just for Stuff and grins,,I'll be at weldon with a new JW built just for going 250mph + in about 2 weeks if you really want to see what it takes to make a JW go really FAST!,,,,Be there

Nick
Hey Nick, are you going to release any photos of the JW? Love to see it.

Eric
Ezza is offline Find More Posts by Ezza