HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2007, 02:39 PM
Toothpick Maker
NJ - Exit 6
Joined May 2005
396 Posts
Discussion
My Poor Kobra

Last year my Kobra's second flight was in 25 mph winds. I was turning downwind to upwind, coming through a procedure turn, it seemed to go into a high speed stall at 100 feet and corkscrewed into the bean field. Nose first in the dirt buried to its wings. I built a new fuse and took it out today for the new maiden. The wind was about 20 mph gusting to about 30 (seemed like). The flag was not only standing straight out, the pole was bending in the gusts. I figured I'd give it a try anyway. Took off fine, made the first turn fine. This time I figured instead of a procedure turn into the wind, given the incident last time, I pulled into a split S. Came over the top fine, but as I was pulling out of the bottom, the wings starting wagging again, and another spiral into the ground. So far, this has happened twice out of three flights. At least there's not much damage this time, it won't take much to fix. But I can't figure out what's causing it. Next time I'll wait for a calmer day, but I didn't give it any sudden inputs to cause it, and the plane was just about level coming out of the split S. The cg is per plan, even though it seems too far forward to me being a tapered wing. But this plane has been around forever, I would thing the cg called out on the plans is correct. Any ideas on what could be making this thing susceptible to high-speed stalls? It even has a new rx since the last crash.
GrrrAmps is offline Find More Posts by GrrrAmps
to remove ads between posts