SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 04, 2014, 04:24 PM
Joined Sep 2008
3 Posts
Help!
Signal loss on techone su29 depron, help a newb!

Lurking for a long time, finally need some help.

My problem is with this depron 3d plane: http://www.nitroplanes.com/02a-403-su29-depron-arf.html

Installed the ARF included motor, esc, servos. Flown with a couple of Genesis Power 2S 25C 450mah batts. Batt voltages read out fine, from ~4.2 charged to 3.6 drained per cell.

Tried 3 different rx/tx combinations, and got signal loss on all (from close distance).
1) DX6i with OrangeRx R410 (random repeated loss, motor stops, unflyable, sometimes a double beep on rx)
2) DX6i with OrangeRx R615 (random repeated loss, motor stops, unflyable, sometimes a double beep on rx)
3) Flysky T4C with R6B (lost signal/motor once in about an hour of flying - was 3 mins into one battery).

I've ground tested setup1 with no problems, ran out a charged batt for 16 mins at 1/2 throttle and ail/ele stick taped to one corner. No loss.

I've checked the wires, look fine.

The DX6i should be fine as I've flown over 10 HH helis and parkflyers with no problems.

I've flown in 2 different locations, even shut off my cell phone in case that was causing interference.

I'm thinking it's a problem with the ARF electronics? But I can't replicate the signal loss on ground tests (I've also rolled it along the ground for a long time - no loss).

It's an awesome plane to fly when it's flying, for a relative newbie like myself. Super slow and stable. In the few hours I've got it flying, have been able to try and learn things I haven't been able to do with my other beginner planes, like inverted flight and real landings. But I've gotta solve this soon cause this super delicate plane won't take many more hard landings. Already glued and taped up all over the place.

Any help appreciated! Thanks!

Additional notes: I haven't flown it farther than any of my HH planes. Nor have I oriented the tx antenna any differently. First time experiencing something like this. Bind lights are solid.
shrimpy1 is offline Find More Posts by shrimpy1
Last edited by shrimpy1; Mar 04, 2014 at 04:42 PM. Reason: added additional notes
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2014, 05:06 PM
Joined Sep 2008
3 Posts
Anyone?
Old Mar 06, 2014, 08:58 PM
Look out below
United States, OR, McMinnville
Joined Aug 2011
1,453 Posts
Did you do any soldering on battery or esc?
mcnowhere is offline Find More Posts by mcnowhere
Old Mar 07, 2014, 04:59 PM
Joined Sep 2008
3 Posts
I soldered the motor to the esc. ESC came terminated into plugs for power and receiver.
Old Mar 07, 2014, 05:21 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,022 Posts
Sounds like your ESC might be the problem. If the BEC in the ESC cant cope with the load from the receiover and servos then the receiver will shut down (a.k.a. Brown-Out)

I'd try another ESC, one with a switching mode BEC.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Mar 08, 2014, 08:20 AM
Look out below
United States, OR, McMinnville
Joined Aug 2011
1,453 Posts
(random repeated loss, motor stops, unflyable, sometimes a double beep on rx)

Do you mean a sound or light flashes?

If you mean sound beeps twice its the esc rebooted and I think telling you cell count on the battery.

Since it has repeated on orange and flysky rx's it has to be on the plane. I still wonder what the ohm reading on the solder joints is? Even the factory solder.
mcnowhere is offline Find More Posts by mcnowhere
Old Mar 08, 2014, 10:09 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
2,015 Posts
Rx's don't beep. The motor makes the sound at the command of the esc. I agree this is the sound of the esc rebooting or reacquiring the signal from a rebooted rx. So like the others posted above, could be too big of a load from the rx/servos overloading the bec, could also be too big of a load from the motor/prop. Is it a stock prop? Could also be faulty esc. Also it wouldn't be the first time a low budget hobby shop might have sold a product with an under rated esc.
xmech2k is offline Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Mar 08, 2014, 11:59 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,022 Posts
Overloading the ESC by running too big a prop wont cause the receiver to re-boot. The circuit that supplies the motor and the one that supplies the receiver are totally separate other than being mounted on the same PCB.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Mar 08, 2014, 12:05 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,634 Posts
Highly likely to be a marginal BEC in the ESC or a bad connection between the battery and the ESC.

Does the ESC to battery plug happen to be one of the little red JST connectors?
I have run into sets of those that are mismatched and make a very marginal connection.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Mar 08, 2014, 06:17 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
2,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Overloading the ESC by running too big a prop wont cause the receiver to re-boot. The circuit that supplies the motor and the one that supplies the receiver are totally separate other than being mounted on the same PCB.
I know, I figured maybe the whole esc was shutting down. I never tried, but I wonder if the esc will give it's arming tones (like sounds to be happening here) if the rx experiences a brownout, when the esc was already armed? I was thinking maybe in this case the esc made the arming tones when it cooled off and came back on. I'm not being sure about it, just throwing the possibility out there.
xmech2k is offline Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Mar 09, 2014, 12:40 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,634 Posts
Every single time I have seen an ESC rearm by itself a while after it was plugged in and armed the first time it was traceable to a bad battery or ESC plug, bad solder joint, broken wire or a bad ESC.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Mar 09, 2014, 02:52 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,200 Posts
You've tried every other combination except trying a different speed control. You shouldn't get "brownouts" using 2S lipos (7.4 volts) even with cheap escs with linear BEC circuits and 2 or 3 small servos (if) the speed control is not defective. If you buy another speed control it will probably operate on 2S or 3S lipos. Your motor and prop combo may "fry" on 3S though.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged