HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2014, 09:57 AM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Oct 2014
46 Posts
I got it as they said, they are way larger than I thought they would be, can't wait to get these out in the snow!
rraming is offline Find More Posts by rraming
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2014, 10:22 AM
United States, IN, Martinsville
Joined Mar 2014
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nora View Post
That's great , so what is your best flying time that you get guys
With the stock battery that came with the Apprentice S I can regularly get 28 mins a flight. Note that I am still buddy boxing with an instructor so I'm not doing anything radical.

Personally 28 minutes is too long. I tend to lose focus and start to make mistakes after about 15-20 mins.

-Jeff
Old_RC_Guy is online now Find More Posts by Old_RC_Guy
Old Nov 27, 2014, 10:46 AM
Joined Sep 2014
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rraming View Post
I got it as they said, they are way larger than I thought they would be, can't wait to get these out in the snow!
Looks like you have it on the run now. Getting your rudder authority dialed in for water is a bit of a pain. You can look back at my post a few pages ago for a few tips. But for snow it doesnt matter at all!

Its amazing how big they are. One float is as big as the fuse on my super cub!
Now the presence in the sky is just awesome! Enjoy.

Also, if you are not in too big of a hurry. Painting all the support bars makes it look a whole lot better and they wont rust on you!
m4rK is offline Find More Posts by m4rK
Last edited by m4rK; Nov 27, 2014 at 10:49 AM. Reason: forgot stuff.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 01:15 PM
Joined Oct 2014
46 Posts
Didn't even think of the rust! - dang
In hind sight I would have bought a super cub with floats and just left it like that. Hate thinking of switching back and forth and liked the Apprentice with wheels. I should get some fly time the next two days, the weather looks okay.
I was also surprised at how far forward they sit but the plane looks like a beast with them on!
Your cub looks a little more "normal" with floats on it. Maybe I'll buy one, I have been looking at a Radian sail plane as my next purchase ( and a P51D Mustang-ha!) don't know how you guys store these larger planes
Old Nov 27, 2014, 01:17 PM
United States, MI, Parchment
Joined May 2004
1,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rK View Post
And the "special tape" would be?
MMM4011 - Scotch Exterior Weather-Resistant Double-Sided Tape

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...98&postcount=5

http://www.amazon.com/MMM4011-Scotch...+mounting+tape
Sideslip is offline Find More Posts by Sideslip
Old Nov 27, 2014, 01:31 PM
Emergency landing expert
United States, CO, Vail
Joined Sep 2013
234 Posts
I use this stuff... the grey is actually better than the black which I think may have a higher load rating.
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideslip View Post
AlphaDeltaTango is offline Find More Posts by AlphaDeltaTango
Old Nov 27, 2014, 01:37 PM
Panama
Joined Feb 2014
188 Posts
What about a little hot glue to fix the SAFE Rx?

eihoward is offline Find More Posts by eihoward
Old Nov 27, 2014, 02:00 PM
United States, MI, Parchment
Joined May 2004
1,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eihoward View Post

I find in most cases the tape sticks better.
Sideslip is offline Find More Posts by Sideslip
Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM
United States, UT, Vernal
Joined Nov 2014
78 Posts
Well folks, with a great (and I do mean GREAT) deal of thought, combined with Black Friday Deals, plus an Amazon Credit Card where I can pay for my plane of choice over a six month span, I have decided, and just placed my order, for this plane (the Apprentice S 15e RTF). I'll see it in approximately 5-10 days. With this combination I can't go wrong, I feel that I have made the right choice. Soon I'll be adding my experiences to this thread as I progress. With the snow coming I'll be looking into getting myself a set of floats as well.

In time, as my experience (and fleet grows) I'll start to shop for a bigger and better radio, but in the mean time, I feel that the DX5e will work just fine for most of what I will need it for.
Robert4613 is offline Find More Posts by Robert4613
Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM
Joined Dec 2013
1 Posts
Horizon had a $40 off $300 coupon the other day... got a S 15e RTF for my FIL for only $260 -- woo! Then they gave me another $30 off $100 coupon...not sure what to do with that.
boomertsfx is offline Find More Posts by boomertsfx
Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM
Panama
Joined Feb 2014
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomertsfx View Post
Horizon had a $40 off $300 coupon the other day... got a S 15e RTF for my FIL for only $260 -- woo! Then they gave me another $30 off $100 coupon...not sure what to do with that.
A couple of extra batteries would be a good use of your coupon. You will need them as you learn, to keep flying...
eihoward is offline Find More Posts by eihoward
Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM
Joined Oct 2014
46 Posts
Horizon Hobby has 15% off until the 30th, my Radian is coming!
Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM
Joined Mar 2013
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eihoward View Post
The foam tape I use can be removed with some effort, leaving the RX and the plane clean. So it holds very well, but if you really want that receiver out of there then you can carefully pull it out.
flightengr is offline Find More Posts by flightengr
Old Yesterday, 09:07 PM
Canada, ON, Appin
Joined Sep 2014
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightengr View Post
The foam tape I use can be removed with some effort, leaving the RX and the plane clean. So it holds very well, but if you really want that receiver out of there then you can carefully pull it out.
I have been using GE marine silicone. Comes out if you need it without removing any foam and you can clean it off the receiver if you need to after, with a little effort.
ace7938 is offline Find More Posts by ace7938