HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2013, 07:31 PM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,692 Posts
Gallery
Another Guillows P-40

Here is my rendition of the Guillows P-40. The laser cut 28" kit. Built mostly stock. Minor modifications for RC. Covered in Polyspan and Modge Podge. Airbrushed with craft paint. After watching the series of How-to videos on MA about the FW 190, I decided to try some airbrush weathering. Turned out a little heavy but I can live with it for a first try. Tried out a lot of new techinques on this aiplane. Hope it flies. Too windy to maiden today.

WS 28"
AUW 10.1 oz
AET control
Blue Wonder 1700kv
2s 1000mah
8x6 APC SF prop.

Modifications
1 Hatch
2 Ailerons
3 Elevators
4 Removable Wing
5 RC gear

Jim
JIMA is offline Find More Posts by JIMA
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2013, 08:03 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,868 Posts
Sweet! Should fly well at that weight and power!
Nice job on the weathering, MA videos? On the AMA website?
Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Mar 03, 2013, 08:36 PM
Joined Jan 2003
2,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis View Post
Sweet! Should fly well at that weight and power!
Nice job on the weathering, MA videos? On the AMA website?
Glenn
Thanks Glenn. I hope she flies well. The videos are on the Model Aviation site. Here is a link. http://www.modelaviation.com/scalemodeling

Jim
Old Mar 04, 2013, 01:01 AM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,247 Posts
Very nice Jim. I have one in the box. Glad to see that it is a do-able project. As to the weathering being a bit heavy, I think it was Dave Platt who said when it comes to weathering to apply half of what you think you need and you will end up with twice as much as you actually need.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:26 AM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,420 Posts
Very nice work, Jim. I wish very much that Guillows had done the "B" version of the P-40. I think it had much more of that MEAN look to it, with the shark mouth.

Looks like you added washout. Thats good.

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:51 AM
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
Cheers, nice model! Best of luck on the maiden!

M
MPP is offline Find More Posts by MPP
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:54 AM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,857 Posts
Jim,

Very nice. I have the plans for this in my stash somewhere and will build it one day as an addition to my hangar of Guillow's models. You can't have too many!

Good luck on the maiden.

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Mar 04, 2013, 11:02 AM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,723 Posts
Jim,

It looks fantastic. I think the weathering looks fine. Best wishes on you maiden.

Dave
payne9999 is online now Find More Posts by payne9999
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:50 PM
Joined Jan 2012
352 Posts
Very cool, nice to see more of the P-40s!
RedTaco is offline Find More Posts by RedTaco
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:08 PM
Joined Jan 2003
2,692 Posts
Thanks for the compliments. I always love to have my ego stroked. Keeps the passion for the hobby alive.

The P-40 was a very enjoyable build. There was not a lot of head scratching, she pretty much just fell into place.

I did use a good bit of washout but the upturn in the wingtip makes it look like it has more than it really does.

My main goal for this model was to try some new things and keep it as cheap as possible. I even bought the kit using a coupon. My bank prints coupons on the back of ATM receipts. I used one with a 40% off at Hobby Lobby and picked up the kit for about 28 bucks. Couple of weeks ago I also picked up a P-51 the same way. The P-51 will be for later.

Some of the things I learned. First, I like Modge Podge. All the covering is stuck down with Modge Podge. And sealed with Modge Podge. I even used Modge Podge to glue the decals down when they would not stay down by themselves. Second, Polyspan is great, I loved using it. It comes out really well if you apply the adhesive to the model then iron it down. On the wings, I tried to apply the Modge Podge to the Polyspan first by brushing it on while it was laid out on wax paper. Did not work good. After the Modge Podge dried I could not tell which side was the shiny side and which was the fuzzy side. And on some pieces it did not matter. The finish did not come out as well. So dont try that. Third, Modge Podge makes a good sealer. I thinned it about 50/50 with water and it sealed the Polyspan in two to three applications. Turned out fairly smooth. Lastly, Once you seal the Polyspan, LEAVE IT ALONE. I tried to smooth it by rubbing with 000 fine steel wool and got the fuzzies where the covering goes over the ribs. So dont try to sand or smooth or anything else to the covering after it is sealed.

Was too windy to maiden yesterday and today. Did get a flight on my Zero that you can see in my avatar. The Zero has turned into a great flyer.

Now to finish some other projects that I have hanging around here. Hellcat

Jim
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:37 PM
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Jul 2011
1,075 Posts
Great Job on the P-40 Jim, everybody must must have one of these Guillows kits stuck in a closet somewhere, I've got one also. Was this one of the laser cut kits?

I'm like you I really like Polyspan. Does Modge Podge weigh as much as 50/50 thinned lacquer when sealing Polyspan? It takes me about 4 coats of lacquer to get a pretty good seal. Before my paint.

Sure hope you get a vid of the maiden, best of luck with the first flight.

Bill
Bill Smudge is offline Find More Posts by Bill Smudge
Old Mar 06, 2013, 09:00 PM
Joined Jan 2003
2,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Smudge View Post
Great Job on the P-40 Jim, everybody must must have one of these Guillows kits stuck in a closet somewhere, I've got one also. Was this one of the laser cut kits?

I'm like you I really like Polyspan. Does Modge Podge weigh as much as 50/50 thinned lacquer when sealing Polyspan? It takes me about 4 coats of lacquer to get a pretty good seal. Before my paint.

Sure hope you get a vid of the maiden, best of luck with the first flight.

Bill
Hi Bill,

Yes it was one of the laser cut kits. The laser cutting is nice. However, they are cutting out the same shapes as the original die cut patterns so there are some fit issues when compared to some of the CAD designed plans. But it costs less too.

As far as Modge Podge vs Lacquer. I have used both and I like the Modge Podge better. Thinned at around 50/50 it goes on smoothly with a brush. Levels itself better than the lacquer I used and in most cases only took 2-3 coats. It also acts a glue filling some small joints and helping to really nail down things like fins and stabilizers. As far as weight goes. Cant tell any difference. The P-40 came out at 10.1 onces. Without me cutting any lightening holes. So I would say the covering was plenty light enough. As a matter of fact, I had to cut a hole in one of the formers to move the battery back as I ended up way nose heavy.

Got home from work after dark today so again no maiden. Maybe tommorrow.

Jim
Old Mar 07, 2013, 03:03 AM
United Kingdom, England, East Riding of Yorkshire
Joined Jan 2011
620 Posts
Beautiful build, certainly a great finish and all that weathering looks great! Hope she flies as well as she looks.

Charles
Spitfire1954 is offline Find More Posts by Spitfire1954
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:31 PM
Joined Jan 2003
2,692 Posts
Maiden a success. All alone with no one to take pix though.

Had about 5-10 mph wind this evening with nice sunshine. Decided to give it a go. A good hard launch into the wind had her moving on her way. Had to grab the elevator pretty quick as she started to angle down. Added some up trim and she settled in nicely. No aileron trim needed. Cruises on 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Full throttle gave some really nice loops but will loop at 3/4. Roll rate was a little slow. Will try some more aileron throw next time. Gained some altitude and tried a stall test. She just mushed straight ahead with no tip stall. I was amazed at how well the stock airfoil flew. I guess I got the wing incidence right as she does not climb with more power. After 8-10 minutes I brought her in for a really nice slow landing.

I have to admit that this was one of the easiest maiden flights I have ever had. She really did well. Just made me wish I had gone ahead and added rudder control. I will miss not being able to perform some stall turns and snap rolls. I think I will keep this one.

Jim
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:11 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,247 Posts
Congratulations on the successful maiden. Sounds like it flies just great. Now to get mine out of the box and on the building board.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel