SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:25 PM
United Kingdom, Central Bedfordshire
Joined Jul 2008
88 Posts
Discussion
500E Fuselarge with 450 Pro

Aware a lot has been written on this topic but thought ity may be worth posting my experience re the Hughes 500 fuselage from HK.

Vibration is the problem with the stock configuration of ply mounts

Spent all last week trying soft mounts but have now given up this approach.

Possible solution is to stop the fuselarge vibrating in the first place using stiffening structure.

As can been seen from the pictures serval items of Depron have been glued in which does have a definite damping affect when the outer skin is struck.

Ply mounts have also been replaced by balsa.
discus.fly is offline Find More Posts by discus.fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:16 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
There was a funny story about fuselage dampening. One fellow was having some difficulty with body vibrations setting up and creating harmonics that wanted to put the heli in self-destruct mode. At some point his daughter put one of her stuffed toys in the rear of the heli (MD500, I am fairly sure of that) so that Daddy could give it a ride. Naturally the vibrations were not there this time and he was mystified as to the reason until he either had a good look inside or his daughter asked for her stuffed toy back out of the heli. THAT was funny, but what it did show is that with careful planning, (or dumb luck), some dampening material can be added to stop the body from buzzing as it is spooled up. I have some foam that I might just stuff in the back of my MD500 and if it spools up nicely, I'll just leave it there. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:33 AM
USA, CA, Red Bluff
Joined Dec 2007
952 Posts
+1 one on that keyrigger,thats how I solved the resonance problem in my md500 A litle foam in the right place do's wonders. Ed
prop bender is offline Find More Posts by prop bender
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:45 PM
Joined Jul 2008
88 Posts
Pinging the outside of the fuselage still resulted in some resonance so more foam added.

Qick flight test showed I still have a tail vibration but only during spool up.

Thinking I now need to stiffen the tail support or possibly attach it to the fuselarge.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:09 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
Leave the tail held in place only by the foam donut. Balance your tail and check linkages on the tail for worn or loose links. If you solid mount the tail you will think that the heli will shake itself to pieces. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:44 AM
Joined Jul 2008
88 Posts
Could well be right Don. Not at all sure what to do about the tail. Will park that problem.

Discovered on inspecting the head that I had a lot of play on the pitch settings. First thought it was just a lose blade camps but on closer insepection found that the plastic in the swash plate had worn so that the top assembly of the swash had horizontal play.

Have now replaced the swash plate but have liitle confidence in the assembly as the blade clamps do move slightly on the feathering shaft. Tempted to replace the entire head.

Is there a fix for lose blade grips? Have tried new bearings but they are not a tight fit at all and seem to allow a small movement on the feathering shaft.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:48 AM
Joined Jul 2008
88 Posts
Head re-assembled yet again! This time feels a lot better, so will now install it yet again into the fuselage.
At least on the 450 pro I donít have the hassle of dismantling the rear pulley as all this in-out would be a major pain.