HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2013, 04:27 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,705 Posts
I get the "Maintenance Mode" today. It recognizes me for login, but that is about it. Just a "Maintenance Mode" statement, likely to respond to further hacking attempts.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2013, 02:40 AM
new zealand
Joined Sep 2006
3 Posts
today mine is coming up 'connection problem, unable to connect to database'.. I think the problem is at mayhems end though. I have no problems getting in to other sites
rumblestrip is offline Find More Posts by rumblestrip
Old Jun 28, 2013, 04:54 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,996 Posts
Seems it was the result of another major hack attack. Back on the air again now. Just what the hackers were hoping to achieve is anybody's guess.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Jun 28, 2013, 06:16 AM
new zealand
Joined Sep 2006
3 Posts
that's good news.
rumblestrip is offline Find More Posts by rumblestrip
Old Jun 29, 2013, 05:57 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,670 Posts
A major reason to attack a ho-hum hobbyist forum site is to place a viral injector on the site - you log in, it auto-infects you with zombie software and then you are sold to a botnet admin.

People are much less on guard when they visit a favorite chat or hobby site than they are on borderline sites.
craig_c is online now Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 29, 2013, 08:05 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,687 Posts
Hackers, when caught should have one hand amputated, might make them think about their remaining option.

Regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old Jun 30, 2013, 05:47 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,670 Posts
hack: verb To attack a problem or conundrum without distraction or let up until the problem or job is resolved. To work on a problem with unrelenting focus.

harker: see above.

Hackers = good...

Crackers & thieves = Bad; simply put criminals.

That's why there are "black hats" and "white hats." The "white hats" keep industry and gov't honest. The "black hats" are just basically crooks and thieves.

Basically, most software out there has security flaws to a greater or lessor extent but is released anyway. I ought to know, I spent more than a while as a Quality Assurance tester and lead on both software and hardware projects.

A lot of the bugs and security flaws are never found in the alpha or beta testing phases before the projects go gold and are released to the public. You folks then get to serve as unpaid (gamma) testers for the company reporting the issues to the company with your calls to tech support (which you are probably now charged for). But the worst security flaws, you will never find since that really does take some skillz and deep knowledge; those things are that the 'hackers' find, some will maliciously and criminally exploit them (black hats) and some will try to sell them to the companies (gray and white hats) or publicly release them for the 'street-cred,' or to force the company to patch and fix the product, or just to embarrass the creators.

Zero-day security exploits especially are worth VERY big money. One company owned by a major investment fund that specializes in finding undocumented zero-day exploits charges, IIRC, a cool quarter million dollars bi-annually to provide them to their clients, mainly governments. This company hoovers the cash in. Bluntly stated, the governments generally cannot afford to employ the finest talent in most cases.

We wouldn't be where we are today without them! Gates, Woz, Stewart Brand, the Peoples' Computer Company, Stanford Homebrew Computer Club, ALL the early pioneers of personal computing were hackers. Thank them, you wouldn't have any of your wonderful toys without them.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Jun 30, 2013 at 07:05 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 10:41 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,687 Posts
No Craig, sorry, Hackers = bad. Disrupting the system because they can. Others enjoyment is disregarded partially due to us being forced into changing operating systems before they are bug and break proof. Now that XP is nearing stability, sloth in its wisdom is trying to abandon servicing it next year. Apart from cars, what other items are customers expected to accept as not fit for purpose at an ever increasing cost?

Regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old Jun 30, 2013, 10:49 AM
---o-O-o---
United States, NJ, Livingston
Joined Mar 2012
1,604 Posts
You can always dump windoze for Linux or Mac OSx. I moved to Linux 10 years ago and haven't looked back. Today you can get every type of software you need in either Linux or Mac OSx.
blutoh is offline Find More Posts by blutoh
Old Jul 01, 2013, 03:29 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
Apart from cars, what other items are customers expected to accept as not fit for purpose at an ever increasing cost?
Damned near everything! and it is because our society of STUPID CONSUMERS go along with the program they are being sold on. (Fifteen years ago a SONY tech support lead told one of my co-workers trying to resolve an issue for a customer when questioned about product life span "Oh nobody makes anything to last more than three years anymore..." ) It is part of the service tech's job to sell you on buying a new product from his company! The stove guy from Kenmore refuses to fix my oven, not because the parts are no longer available, but because the part NUMBERS are no longer "supported," so I fix my own oven!

(And here is a frightening thought - As more physical things incorporate microprocessors and code in the future, you will not be buying these items, but licensing them and they will have built-in shutoff timers. It won't just be someone like Micro$oft stops "supporting" XP in the future, it will be they just shut it off after a certain date. Don't worry, you did agree to it already in the EULA!) Ask anyone with a non-supported eReader or someone who has had a book or publication 'disappear' from their eReader. If you like or need a book and want to keep it - BUY PAPER!

As matter o'fact Ian, hacker mentality is exactly the opposite vis-a-vis most software and many hardware platforms and products, backwards compatibility is maintained nearly at all costs in many open-source projects. As blutoh said, get Linux or learn to maintain your old computer yourself. Nobody is putting a gun to your head to buy a new box and abandon XP! (I still run on Win2K for one box - talk about stable!)

Hackers have long been and are major proponents of both the MAKE and Fix-It communities.

If you want to talk with the guy who are behind the "New and Improved, Not Backward Compatible" way of doing things and products, talk to the right people; the capitalists and companies whose business models are totally dependent on you being forced to upgrade or buy a new model every year or so. You know, Micro$oft, Oracle, Ford, Chevy, etc. We GIVE them permission to screw us!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Jul 01, 2013 at 04:08 AM.