SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 07, 2012, 03:42 AM
wh0'5 r34dy 70 637 1nv3r73d?!
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2012
41 Posts
Gallery
Hi-Def Cockpit View video from T-28 Trojan Sunset Flight

Tonight before going flying I did some modifications to my T-28. I had been wanting to mount one of my video cameras inside the canopy so i could get some good first-person footage as I practice aerobatics. I have both a Go Pro Hero2 and a HD Flip Cam. They both film in 1080p, so I went with the flip as it's actually lighter than the gopro (the gopro has a big protective case that makes it bulky and heavy).

I cut a slit in the bottom of the cockpit to fit the flip in vertically, and relocated the pilot to the back seat. (I show this at the end of the video). Then I modified the canopy by adding velcro to various mounting points around the perimeter so that I can easily remove it to get access to the camera, and re install it. It turned out great, and works perfectly to get the camera in and out quickly.

So, after some quick editing, here is my first flight footage (with obligatory Top Gun soundtrack)! Let me know what you think!

Parkzone T-28 Trojan Pilot View Sunset Flight (7 min 14 sec)
DaxxRuckus is offline Find More Posts by DaxxRuckus
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2012, 03:54 AM
Joined Jul 2012
6 Posts
That is a great video, I enjoy watching the first person cameras in planes. I will definitely watch more if you have them on your channel.

How was that plane handling while you where flying, I just bought one for a second plane and have it assembles. I am going to maiden it tomorrow evening and was curious to know how well it flies and how easy it is for a newer pilot to fly.
Sinker1345 is offline Find More Posts by Sinker1345
Old Jul 07, 2012, 09:53 AM
SW PA
Joined Aug 2010
519 Posts
Hey Daxx,
Definitely a great video....you did a good job. Post some pics of your cam setup. Oh, yeah....the soundtrack is one of my favorites......

Denny
yorkiepap is offline Find More Posts by yorkiepap
Old Jul 07, 2012, 11:58 AM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
Cool video but it would be better if you removed the plactic windows form the front of the cockpit.
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx
Old Jul 07, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined May 2012
41 Posts
Hey Yorkie: check out the end of the video, I showed how I mounted the cam.

Colby: I want to try that, but I'm afraid of the camera falling out if I don't have the canopy on the cockpit. I know it makes the video harder to see, but I think it will affect the aerodynamics of the plane if I don't have it. I'm still experimenting with ways to make this better.

Sinker: Stay tuned, I will be posting more videos as I take them. The T-28 is my favorite plane so far. It's quick and agile, turns easily, and is super responsive. I think you are going to love it, let me know how your maiden goes. It was my second plane, and my first aileron plane. I moved on to the T-28 after growing out of my Super Cub. So it sounds like you are a newer pilot just like me, I think you are going to love it!
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:51 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,830 Posts
sweet vid
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jul 08, 2012, 05:08 PM
Carthage, TX
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
I was talking about just removing the front clear plastic but leaving the frame rails. You could use a dremel or something to just remove the clear plastic then only the frame would show to give a 1st person HD cockpit view. That way your cam is still secure in your cockpit!
Old Jul 08, 2012, 05:25 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
That was great, could you post a picture of your camera installed as it is for flight? I would like to copy that for sure, one of the best I have seen. Dave/ZEE
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Jul 08, 2012, 05:28 PM
Joined May 2012
41 Posts
Colby - good idea, but I'm worried if i do that I will get the airflow right into the canopy which will blow it right off. I would have to cut out the back windows too I suppose. I'll play around with these ideas.

I took 2 more videos last night, I am editing them and will have them posted soon - one has a pretty epic landing running right into a chain link fence! haha

Zee - I'll take a few pics of the set up too. If you watch the end of the video I showed how I did it, but I'll take a pic with the camera mounted too.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 08:49 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
I fly inverted
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Jul 08, 2012, 09:50 PM
Carthage, TX
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxxRuckus View Post
Colby - good idea, but I'm worried if i do that I will get the airflow right into the canopy which will blow it right off. I would have to cut out the back windows too I suppose. I'll play around with these ideas.

I took 2 more videos last night, I am editing them and will have them posted soon - one has a pretty epic landing running right into a chain link fence! haha

Zee - I'll take a few pics of the set up too. If you watch the end of the video I showed how I did it, but I'll take a pic with the camera mounted too.
Don't get me wrong, it is a great vid but it would be a whole lot cleaner with no plastic window in the way. Cutting out an air exit in the back of the canopy is a must. Maybe you could cut out the windows and use some rubberbands or velcro to keep it on???? I have no cam but do want one, just don't know what to get?????
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:06 AM
Joined May 2012
41 Posts
Ya I hear ya, I will look into cutting the canopy to get better video. I'll test it and see if it will work.

Here is another video of 2 more flights (I edited both into one video). The ending has a pretty epic crash landing where I hit a chain link fence!

Trojan Flight 2 with Epic Crash Landing (12 min 1 sec)
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:24 AM
Carthage, TX
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
Nice landing!
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:09 AM
Joined May 2012
41 Posts
hahhaa, thanks!
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:12 AM
Carthage, TX
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
I really hate how those darn fences, trees, clump of grass ect will just jump out and grab your planes!!!! Didn't look as though it really did any damage.