SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 02, 2011, 02:54 PM
WHAT THE...
Evansville, Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,576 Posts
Discussion
Another I Want To Get A Sailboat Thread

Hello all. As the title states, I have been thinking about getting a Sailboat.

I have been flying RC planes for several years, been into racing Nitro Boats for about three years now and this past winter played a bit with racing indoor Short Course Trucks. Racing the trucks is fun, but requires more travel time to get to the track. Flying Planes and racing Boats doesn't require much travel time...BUT the fun factor can be compromised by heavy winds. This leads me to think that a Sailboat would be a good solution for those days where there is too much wind and chop to run (test) the racing boats. Besides, can a fella have too many toys?

Anyway, I have been doing a bit of research and almost ordered the TT Victoria for its price and the amount of info I found for it. I then started to think that a larger boat would be better for those windy days (15+ mph). This got me looking at the TT Voyager/China Team/ETNZ line.

These will be a bit more expensive than the Victoria, but with Tower's price on the Voyager and China Team either will only be around $60 more. I suppose batteries and servo will be a bit more expensive also.

At any rate, I plan to push those magic buttons soon so any input will be appreciated ... really I just need someone to push me over the edge
barmonkey is offline Find More Posts by barmonkey
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2011, 03:10 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,539 Posts
Barmonkey
Suggest you start at this link- Some good information there -will save time and re-posting. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1504351&page=3
There is a wealth on information on this thread for you. I would support your thinking on the larger Thunder Tiger boats. The Victoria is a great little boat, but it can get as expensive as a 1M -but will never be a 1M boat.

Please take a few minutes to review the other thread then come back with some questions.

Boomer

You mentioned the batteries - they take the same batteries. Many choices there. The most basic is using 4 AA 1.5 volts or the rechargeable versions. The servos these boats use like 6 volts better than 4.8 Volts. At 6V they produce much more torque for you.
More on that once you decide which boat you want.
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Oct 02, 2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 04:09 PM
WHAT THE...
Evansville, Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,576 Posts
Thanks for the link Boomer...already been through that thread and many more. So after weighing all of my options I have narrowed it down to either the Victoria or the Voyager.

Sure they have their shortcomings and need some modifications, but what in the RC world doesn't? I know there other choices (Nirvana etc.) and have weighed those options with the info found here and elsewhere. I have plenty of radios, servos, and batteries to choose from...pretty sure I have more Airplane and Boat spare parts than the local Hobby Shops!

Here are some questions for the forum....

1) Am I correct in assuming that the Voyager will be a much better boat for mid to heavy winds? This is probably the most important...Does the size difference matter that much?
2) Can anyone tell me how tall the Voyager and Victoria are...ON THE STAND?
3) Would a Hitec HS645MG be a good servo for either boat? I use these on my 15 pound 1/8 scale Hydroplane which runs around 60mph.
4) What are the preferred batteries being used for the Voyager? Is a 3600mAh battery really necessary? I like the new LiFe batteries...better, stronger, lighter!
Last edited by barmonkey; Oct 02, 2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 05:33 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmonkey View Post
Thanks for the link Boomer...already been through that thread and many more. So after weighing all of my options I have narrowed it down to either the Victoria or the Voyager.

Sure they have their shortcomings and need some modifications, but what in the RC world doesn't? I know there other choices (Nirvana etc.) and have weighed those options with the info found here and elsewhere. I have plenty of radios, servos, and batteries to choose from...pretty sure I have more Airplane and Boat spare parts than the local Hobby Shops!

Here are some questions for the forum....

1) Am I correct in assuming that the Voyager will be a much better boat for mid to heavy winds? This is probably the most important...Does the size difference matter that much?
2) Can anyone tell me how tall the Voyager and Victoria are...ON THE STAND?
3) Would a Hitec HS645MG be a good servo for either boat? I use these on my 15 pound 1/8 scale Hydroplane which runs around 60mph.
4) What are the preferred batteries being used for the Voyager? Is a 3600mAh battery really necessary? I like the new LiFe batteries...better, stronger, lighter!
Airplane and hot boat guys always ask questions about using the batteries they are familiar with. Sailboats are weight sensitive, and don't require a lot
of mAh. You can run a sailboat all day and then some on 4 AA batteries

I use a HS 645 MG in my Nirvana. It works but could use a stronger servo. It would be fine for the Victoria but the Voyager is a bigger boat and carries more sail - a strong sail servo for a 1M boat would be wisdom. I like Futaba servos and will be replacing the 645 with a stronger Futaba.

I recently sold my Victoria, lovely boat! But...........it is not a 1M - Speaking in general, the larger boat will handle more weather than the smaller one. There are are several small boats that can handle heavy weather, the one I am most familiar with is the Mirco Magic. They can handle some pretty serious winds and are only 21" long. The MM is an exception.

The Voyager properly set up should be a good choice for you and Tower has it priced well, especially if you are a member of their Super Saver Club.
Another very nice boat is the Seawind. A tad more expensive, but many would suggest is a faster boat. The mast height on the Voyager is 67" with the stand it'd be more like 70 or 72".

There is a place in Australia (Vison) that used to modify Voyagers - their boats were pretty nice. Cost too much to bring one here. They offered custom keels and rudders if memory serves me correctly. I posted some pictures of their version of Voyager.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Oct 02, 2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 09:33 PM
WHAT THE...
Evansville, Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Airplane and hot boat guys always ask questions about using the batteries they are familiar with. Sailboats are weight sensitive, and don't require a lot
The key for me is to hopefully use what I already have (e.g. TX/RX, batteries) in order to save a bit of cash.

I assume that the HS645 will work for the Voyager (and family)...at least for the short term? I have a couple of spares on hand.

If I go with the larger hull, I still need to decide between the "Voyager" and the "China Team". Other than $10, graphics and some bits and bobs, I see there is a difference in the sails and the addition of a "stabilizer" on the Bulb. So is the stabilizer a good thing?

Thanks again for your input...
Old Oct 02, 2011, 10:07 PM
Evansville, IN
Joined Jul 2002
301 Posts
Barmonkey:

Just notice that you list your location as Evansville, IN. That's also where I'm from (actually Darmstadt). I just started sailing about a month ago and sometimes sail on the lake that is part of the area where I live.

If you can make it, a few of us (4 to 6) usually show up on Monday & Thursday mornings, about 9:30 to 10:00 at the powerboat lake behind Cracker Barrel on the East side. A variety of boats, I have a Nirvana, 3 or 4 1M Solings, a Vela and now the Vela owner has a Laser. One smaller boat that I don't know the make.

Bring a comfortable chair if you come. If you want, PM me with your info and one of us can get ahold of you if there are any changes to the times.
11290 is offline Find More Posts by 11290
Old Oct 02, 2011, 10:59 PM
Joined Nov 2009
171 Posts
A few comments. None of your choices will be much fun in 17mph winds. That is about the max with those boats and std sails. Second, eventually you will want to sail (race) with your friends or others at the lake. To do that you need to have the same boat. I sail a Seawind. The decision to get this boat was primarily based on there being an established club at the pond.
Rumbleweed is offline Find More Posts by Rumbleweed
Old Oct 02, 2011, 11:59 PM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,348 Posts
I have a Voyager with ODOM sails, the stock sails are junk.
I stay up with the ODOM's in our club and have won some races.
Almost all sailboats need some modification's to sail good.
I love my Voyager.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Oct 03, 2011, 01:27 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,539 Posts
Quote:
The key for me is to hopefully use what I already have (e.g. TX/RX, batteries) in order to save a bit of cash.

I assume that the HS645 will work for the Voyager (and family)...at least for the short term? I have a couple of spares on hand.

If I go with the larger hull, I still need to decide between the "Voyager" and the "China Team". Other than $10, graphics and some bits and bobs, I see there is a difference in the sails and the addition of a "stabilizer" on the Bulb. So is the stabilizer a good thing?

Thanks again for your input...
The HS 645 will work on 6volts, but when you get into some decent weather you will find it will have a hard time pulling the sails in. Knowing this means you learn to antisipate and begin pulling them in earlier.

If the Voyager doesn't come with a battery holder it will cost you $5.00 at your LHS and the price of some AA batteries.

Just sayin.................

Boomer
Old Oct 03, 2011, 08:02 AM
Joined Sep 2011
14 Posts
A quick look at clubs in Indiana and it would appear that if racing is your goal then maybe consider the us1m or V32. The Admirals Sailing Club serving Central Indiana is listed as racing AC12, US1m and V32. Quick look at the web site and it would appear the V32 is a pretty active group.

I really like the US1m as there is a allot more freedom to tinker and play with design,rigging and so on as it is a development class.

For the record I own a Victoria and US1m
dyimgages is offline Find More Posts by dyimgages
Old Oct 03, 2011, 08:13 AM
Malaysia, Melaka, Merlimau
Joined Nov 2010
22 Posts
Barmonkey,.
Better get sailboat that your buddies play around because same boat can compete together. I suggest you get seawing kyosho, 1 metre scale sailboat the fastest and easy to tune .
basha is offline Find More Posts by basha
Old Oct 03, 2011, 10:01 AM
WHAT THE...
Evansville, Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,576 Posts
I don't believe that the local guys that 11290 mentioned actually race, and if they eventually do I will certainly step up to a better boat. For now I want to go with the Voyager/China Team or the Victoria because of the price...which gets a bit better with free shipping and discounts from Tower.

I am really just trying to decide if I want the larger boat. Like I said earlier, I want something that can handle some serious wind and choppy water for those days when the water isn't good for my faster Nitro boats or it is too windy to fly. Looking like the Voyager/China Team are in the lead for me right now for that reason.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 11:27 AM
Rather be flying
United States, TX, Midland
Joined Feb 2009
274 Posts
Recommend a Victoria

The Victoria is a good entry level Sailboat and has a rather large following throughout the country. It is an AMYA class boat and there are many regatta's held for this class. If you want more info on the Victoria, I would suggest that you visit the Victoria section on the AMYA website. There is a lot of information and support there and many links to follow. Hope this helps.
tsudduth is offline Find More Posts by tsudduth
Old Oct 03, 2011, 12:18 PM
Canada, BC, Lake Cowichan
Joined Jul 2011
526 Posts
At the risk of putting you off getting into sailing, the conditions in which you want to sail (15 kts and waves) are heavy conditions when scaled to full size and overpowering for small toy boats.

The boats you are talking about are plastic toy boats with flimsy plastic and metal parts that will break easily. Most have poor sails. They are not very adjustable. (mast bend, mast rake, vang, sail flattening to depower, especially the ones with the wrap around mainsail luff). They are low to the water and the decks are wet in wind and waves, and may leak.

Sailing my IOM in 15 kts is B rig weather, and lots of fun. But the boat is big and heavy enough to handle the waves, and the smaller rig reduces heeling to maintain control. It sails (flies) in 30 kts with its C rig.

If you want one of these ARTS boats to sail in those conditions, then be prepared to cut down some sails and replace some fittings.

John
hiljoball is offline Find More Posts by hiljoball
Old Oct 03, 2011, 01:42 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,539 Posts
Quote:
I don't believe that the local guys that 11290 mentioned actually race, and if they eventually do I will certainly step up to a better boat. For now I want to go with the Voyager/China Team or the Victoria because of the price...which gets a bit better with free shipping and discounts from Tower.

I am really just trying to decide if I want the larger boat. Like I said earlier, I want something that can handle some serious wind and choppy water for those days when the water isn't good for my faster Nitro boats or it is too windy to fly. Looking like the Voyager/China Team are in the lead for me right now for that reason.
Not sure about your confusion - you have outlined your situation - the 1M boat is going handle the conditions you describe better than the 30" boat.

The Voyager is not much more than the Victoria kit - be clear, I am not being critical of the Victoria, just stating the facts.

I like sailing small boats - including a footy (12") , a Micro Magic (21.8") and a Victoria (30.7") I still have the Micro Magic. To me the Mirco Magic is a superior sailing boat than the larger Victoria. Again, not being critical of the Victoria, just sharing an observation based on my own experience.

Having said that, the MM does not handle heavy weather as well as my 1 Meter boats. In the conditions you have outlined my experience suggests you would be happier with the 1M boat.

If you haven't already visited the AMYA web site it would be worth your time to do so. They list all the current classes and show pictures and provide the specifications for each class. http://www.theamya.org/index.php

There is a classified section there too, and on occasion you can find a good deal there.

To confuse you further check out Blackstar yachts - American made RC yachts at http://blackstaryacht.com/Blackstar_23_OS0V.html

Also suggest you check out Victor Products at http://www.victor-model.com/products/soling-1-meter

Victor recently moved from California to their new location in TN. and is just getting back into production. You can get a Soling 1M kit for $149.00 or other very nice kit boats in a wide range of sizes.

Intending no disrespect to "hiljoball" I have say I find his characterization of the boats currently under discussion to be hearse and overstated - There are thousands of these boats out there today sailing without issues. Frankly, Not everyone has the money to build $1000 race boat.

I say BILGE! Not sure why John has such as poor and seemingly bitter point view of these boats, but I suggest his opinions are just that. (His right to express them.)

Please don't let his remarks put you off - Sailing in 15 mph winds absolutely takes practice and developed skills, but is very doable in the boats I have sailed in those conditions. I sail in a desert area and can share that we get some serious winds out there and my "toy" boats don't break or bend, or leak. I sail almost weekly and with out problems. Countless others do this as well with their boats. Any boat being sailed in the heavier winds needs to be set up correctly - some boats may have a hatch that requires some tweaking to seal properly, some may need a little reinforcing added to the keel box, but that is the fun of the hobby.

Throwing yourself into 15 mph winds is certainly learning under fire and is not really the best a way to learn to sail. Working up to that would be my suggestion.

I have been involved in one form or another of motorsports for much of my life, and have always liked upgrading and refining my boats and cars to get them to their potential. I still like doing that to my RC boats.

I have not owned a Voyager or the other two Thunder Tiger boats, but know fellows that have them and they enjoy sailing them. All of these boats can be improved and upgraded - that is what makes it fun!

I am pretty sure I understand your budget and appreciate your trying to stay within it. I only wish our Government could get their arms around that concept!

Let us know what you decide.
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Oct 03, 2011 at 04:10 PM.