SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 26, 2014, 03:21 PM
United States, CA, Yorba Linda
Joined Mar 2013
238 Posts
FMS F4U Corsair 1700mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
How do you transport these 1700mm planes? I assume this is a one piece wing that stays attached.

As others have posted the wing easily removes and can be transported as one piece or two halves. This is a big plane. I personally transport mine with wing removed and kept in one piece in an SUV. To avoid hanger rash I put blankets around mine. The fuselage with its tail and prop are actually the greater challenge than the wing. The prop come off easy. I could get this into a hatch back like the VW Golf easily and a sedan with a good 60/40 split rear should not be too much harder. But the tighter the space the more easily you will scuff it up.
YLFlyer is offline Find More Posts by YLFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2014, 03:32 PM
Joined Mar 2013
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reno4sure View Post
These are the numbers I got on the 1700 P51 Prop. I did not test the Corsair props but I am sure the results would be very similar.

101 peak amps

2123 watts

14.99 lbs thrust using Rapala 50lb digital fish scale.

6s 30c fresh Glacier battery relatively new, only 10-15 cycles on it.

This does come with a disclaimer.

The original motor mount in my Corsair V2 while using the 300kv motor and on the 2nd or 3rd flight, separated from the plane. I posted pictures back a few pages. I was able to repair the plane and replaced the motor mount with a wood mount and attached the 360kv to the wood mount. No issues so far and very pleased with the modification. Motion worked with me very well on this issue and I was very pleased with their replacement.

Before mounting the 360kv in the P51 I flew the plane 20-30 times. On my first two flights I did nose the plane over and broke a prop blade. After mounting the 360kv motor to the original plastic motor mount and after 10-15 flights I noticed some slack in the motor mount. I disassembled the mount and found cracks around the plastic where the x-mount bolt holes are located. These cracks were noticeably causing the slack. I replaced the plastic mount with a wood mount and reattached the 360kv motor. I have 30 or more flights on the wood mount with no issues. I can't say whether the 360kv caused the stress in the plastic mount or if I stressed the mount on my first two nose overs and realized the cracks after 40 or so flights.

The torque encountered with the 360kv and original 4 blade prop is huge if you throttle up to quickly..so if you go this route please make sure you set your esc throttle settings accordingly and advance the throttle slowly.

Reno

Wow! 15lbs of thrust! Any idea what kind of speed you get with that? Unlimited vertical?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 08:44 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,523 Posts
Reno! Thanks for all that, super glad you are having fun on your Corsair with that upgrade. Your feedback is very helpful !! I thoight I'd add this note, I hope this may clear up some guys' questions later of they use the setup - For other "flat lander" guys out there, please note "Reno" is flying his setup at 4000 feet so if you guys are at sea level you'll be pulling about 10-15 percent more amps and you'll have even a little more thrust too.

Also Reno, can you tell me, is the 300kv motor pretty similar to the 360kv motor in size and durability? Cheers-

PS, where are you flying at 4000 MSL? Anywhere near us ?? (Reno / Tahoe)?
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eddie P; Nov 26, 2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 01:32 AM
Joined Mar 2013
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
Reno! Thanks for all that, super glad you are having fun on your Corsair with that upgrade. Your feedback is very helpful !! I thoight I'd add this note, I hope this may clear up some guys' questions later of they use the setup - For other "flat lander" guys out there, please note "Reno" is flying his setup at 4000 feet so if you guys are at sea level you'll be pulling about 10-15 percent more amps and you'll have even a little more thrust too.

Also Reno, can you tell me, is the 300kv motor pretty similar to the 360kv motor in size and durability? Cheers-

Oh, that's critical information. Thanks! I'm flying near sea level. Probably between 300-600 feet.
I know the Corsair is somewhat draggy, but I'd love to see it fly with that kind of power.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 01:40 AM
Joined Mar 2013
238 Posts
FMS F4U Corsair 1700mm

I can't recall if this has been posted here, but seems like a similar set up. The author changed the prop I assume this allows him to use the stock ESC. His comments imply he only changed the motor and prop.

FMS Corsair 1700mm 5060 360kV HK 16x10x4 prop 40C Quick Clips (1 min 39 sec)
Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:40 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,523 Posts
I love that video, really shows the corsair very well.

He's got a 5060 360kv motor... HK 16x10x4 prop... 6s 5000mah 40C pack
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM
Joined May 2011
466 Posts
Quote:

Eddie P..

The 300kv and 360kv use the same motor can. Just different rubber bands(windings) on the inside! I'm in West Texas .
reno4sure is offline Find More Posts by reno4sure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fms 1700 f4u
Old Yesterday, 06:51 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,523 Posts
Oh I must have misunderstood... I thought you were flying at 4000 msl... Maybe 400?
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM
Joined May 2011
466 Posts
No mistake...The field elevation where I fly my Cessna 182 RG out of is 3750' and the field I fly my RC planes is 4100'. The sod farm I fly the rc planes from sits above the valley some 400'.
reno4sure is offline Find More Posts by reno4sure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fms 1700 f4u