HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 21, 2011, 04:40 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,480 Posts
Discussion
How to make throttle less sensitive around center?

When I fly I find it tough to just hold an altitude. There is always a slight climb or descend. Is there a way to make the throttle less sensitive around center stick? I know on a helicopter you do it with the throttle curve but those functions are not available when using acro mode.
milo12 is online now Find More Posts by milo12
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2011, 04:47 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
It might be called Expo in acro mode on your radio. Just add some expo to the throttle channel.
Kmart is offline Find More Posts by Kmart
Old Aug 21, 2011, 05:13 PM
FPV really is fun.
Sedona, Az
Joined Sep 2001
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo12 View Post
When I fly I find it tough to just hold an altitude. There is always a slight climb or descend. Is there a way to make the throttle less sensitive around center stick? I know on a helicopter you do it with the throttle curve but those functions are not available when using acro mode.

Practice. Seriously. Practice. Try it in the wind, it only gets worse. Make sure you don't have a ratchet on the throttle stick.

You CAN use heli mode with multirotors. You just have to be aware that channel 6 is mixed, so you can't use it. That's all. I find that the heli mixes are more useful, as are the throttle curves. I use both modes depending on which model I fly.
Scotth72 is offline Find More Posts by Scotth72
Old Aug 21, 2011, 05:14 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmart View Post
It might be called Expo in acro mode on your radio. Just add some expo to the throttle channel.
Some radios do not have expo on throttle channel.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Aug 21, 2011, 05:15 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
Quote:
Exactly what Scott said. Use helicopter mode on your radio. There is nothing wrong with it.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Aug 21, 2011, 05:34 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,669 Posts
Hi Milo,
What kind of Tx are you using?
If you have a Tx set for aircraft and the throttle has a click feel to it, then that is the first thing that needs to be fixed. This requires you to open it up and then put some shrink wrap on the spring that rubs against the throttle stick gear. It is a very simple 5 minute procedure.

If your Tx has throttle Exponential, then as mentioned that is an option.

As SM mentions using HELI mode is an option, but not all Tx's will allow a zero swashplate setting in the HELI mode that must be set for quad hexa etc., which is why most recommend using ACRO mode. A default ACRO eliminates the possibility that any of the channels are mixed for a standard Heilcopter's cyclic or CCPM. Some tricopters do require a HELI mode and a swashplate setting of 120 degrees. The bad thing about that is some Tx's set to ACRO lose the HELI mode ability to do a throttle channel curve. Some Tx's like a Futabe 9c allow you to set a mixer PMX-6 in ACRO mode. You set that for throttle to throttle channel and it allows you to set a 5 point throttle curve http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1676

Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Last edited by jesolins; Aug 21, 2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 05:35 PM
Nemo in a blender
The Netherlands-Amsterdam
Joined Mar 2007
940 Posts
Use helicopter mode and make sure you set up your tx for a 1 servo swash type helicopter (which is used by heli's with a meachnical ccpm)
Connexxion is offline Find More Posts by Connexxion
Old Aug 21, 2011, 07:25 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,480 Posts
Thanks for all the replies.

I have a Futaba 7C Fasst radio. It does not have any ratchets on the throttle. I think part of my problem is I designed my Y6 to be a heavy lifter and empty it just seems a bit touchy to throttle.

I thought adding expo would only change the softness off idle?

I didn't know you could use heli mode with a multicopter. That seems to be the way to go. I will setup a second model on the radio and see if I can figure it out.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:33 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,868 Posts
I had the same problem as you with my first tricopter. When I switched it over to a HELI mix and tweaked the throttle curve, it was a massive improvement and made it so much easier to fly.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Aug 22, 2011, 09:55 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1,480 Posts
Damn heli mode is wayyy more complicated than acro mode. I cant even get expo to act correct, it seems there is an additional feature with the switch that is confusing me.

I have googled but can't find any tutorials for setting up heli mode. The manual sucks. Does anyone know of a good explanation for setting up heli mode on a 7C?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 09:59 AM
United States, TX, Thrall
Joined Feb 2010
1,205 Posts
milo12 not sure about 7c but on JR they have a throttle curve in Acro mode which you could flatten out in the middle to smooth out do this on helis as well as my Y-6. Do you see a throttle curve in Arco mode.

Michael64
Michael64 is offline Find More Posts by Michael64
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:38 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1,480 Posts
No, the 7C does not offer a throttle curve in acro mode. That would be way too easy.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:37 AM
FPV really is fun.
Sedona, Az
Joined Sep 2001
942 Posts
Not too familiar with the 7c, but I am assuming that you are talking about the flight mode switch. That's the best part of heli mode. You can set up three different flight modes, with different throttle and expo curves for each. Dual rates, too.

Set one up for real low rates, for nice docile flight. Then flip a switch, and the rates go up for acrobatics.

Also, Futaba's expo is opposite of most other radios. Try going the opposite way with the values, and see if that helps.
Scotth72 is offline Find More Posts by Scotth72
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:44 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,669 Posts
Milo,
You are correct. And the Futaba 7c does not offer any mixing in ACRO mode as the Futaba 9c throttle curve ACRO mode trick I mentioned above does.

In looking at the Futaba 7c manual, http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/7c-manual.pdf , the HELI H-1 mode which is the default is the best candidate to try because of the equal pitch and aileron offsets. Just select a new model on the Tx that is alread a default HELI H-1 mode such as MDL-6. Be careful and set this up with props off. Pay attention to channel reversals as it will likely be different from your ACRO mode channel reversal. Hand test fly the controls first at low RPM before flight. You might have to adjust your actual throttle curve to suit your needs and total flying weights after that. Be careful of your other switch positions so that the Governor mode and throttle up and idle up switches which are normally defaulted to INH(inhibit) are indeed off. They would give you nasty and dangerous surprises if you are not aware of them. I strongly suggest that you study your 7c manual on the HELI modes just for safety, especially if this is your first time using them.

Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index

Quote:
No, the 7C does not offer a throttle curve in acro mode. That would be way too easy.
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Last edited by jesolins; Aug 22, 2011 at 04:52 PM.