HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:03 PM
Joined Feb 2008
28 Posts
hey guys
I'm working on a 1200 popwing......with a few mods.
check it out.....still in the build stage
chippedprop is offline Find More Posts by chippedprop
Last edited by chippedprop; Sep 07, 2012 at 07:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined Feb 2008
28 Posts
ZAGI Redo (7 min 43 sec)

this is the same set i will use on the popwing
2900kv microdan motor
apc prop5.5x4.4
40 amp esc
2200 ma 3 cell
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:12 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2006
116 Posts
Thats some flying!
ichiban is offline Find More Posts by ichiban
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:40 AM
Where did that tree come from
United States, SC, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2010
1,503 Posts
Holy smoke. Too quick for my brain.
kid at 55 is offline Find More Posts by kid at 55
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:46 AM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,787 Posts
chippedprop, sweet setup! That should be great for the popwing!
Hit N Run is offline Find More Posts by Hit N Run
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:13 PM
Joined Feb 2008
28 Posts
I think the set up will be much faster as the popwing is smaller and thinner..had to add 2 oz nose weight as i when over kill on the trailing edge and rear deck...to get cg correct
Hoping to maiden sunday if weather ok...may by nice but windy....and if I can get it complete on saturday.
cp
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:18 PM
Joined Feb 2008
28 Posts
funny thing I had the same set up on a hacker skycraver which flew out of range and never was found...so think minipop wing stupid fast or throttle down and cruise...flew it at joe nall was a big hit.
If any one is going to the triple tree e week I'll be there as I'm in spartanburg sc
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:59 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,502 Posts
I modified my mini-Pop similar to Johnnymeg's, it flies great with a 1,000mah 3S. Really fast, slows down fairly well. Flies much better with the 5x4.3 prop than any other prop, that's using the 3,000kv HK version of the Blue Wonder. Definitely a fun little plane. Best flying wing I've ever had.
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:26 PM
Foamies are my homies!
Las Vegas, NV.
Joined May 2009
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgmag View Post
I modified my mini-Pop similar to Johnnymeg's, it flies great with a 1,000mah 3S. Really fast, slows down fairly well. Flies much better with the 5x4.3 prop than any other prop, that's using the 3,000kv HK version of the Blue Wonder. Definitely a fun little plane. Best flying wing I've ever had.
Same here, but my motor didn't last. It already burned up after about 10 flights using a 3s 1000mah 30c. I know that motor is only for 2s but people seem to not have any issues going 3s with them (from what I've read.) I do have another one of those HXT 3000kv motors NIB (I bought two) but I don't want to put it on only to burn it up too. Right now my mini popwing is down until I figure out what motor I can use.
Captain Ron is offline Find More Posts by Captain Ron
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:44 PM
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined Aug 2010
155 Posts
Pop Wing 1200 MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
My kit is still in the box.
Kind of waiting to hear of a good powertrain myself.
I have one of these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12919
Or this:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tor_420w_.html
I have just flown my 1200 MM pop wing and it flies like its on rails--I love it!! I used a Slo Fly 400 from Headsup R/C with an APC 9 inch prop. I used a 2200 Mah battery set at the 196 MM CG mark and it was a beautiful flight. I had to keep the 1/4 inch reflex on the elevrons for takeoff and WOT. The throttle was closed to 1/2 of that amount for the rest of the flight shortly after gaining 100 feet of altitude and slight down elevrons trim correction. This is the most stable bird I have ever flown, majestic in flight and felt "solid" on the sticks too! Try one and you'll see what I mean!

Ron
doublebuck is offline Find More Posts by doublebuck
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:59 PM
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined Aug 2010
155 Posts
Mini Pop Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Same here, but my motor didn't last. It already burned up after about 10 flights using a 3s 1000mah 30c. I know that motor is only for 2s but people seem to not have any issues going 3s with them (from what I've read.) I do have another one of those HXT 3000kv motors NIB (I bought two) but I don't want to put it on only to burn it up too. Right now my mini popwing is down until I figure out what motor I can use.
I used a Eflite 180 motor with a 6 X 5 (I think) prop on it. I flew it indoors as it was windy for the test flight and it was great! I didn't think the Eflite 180 would push it around but wow was I wrong! That little motor screamed around the dome at Tolland Star Hill and everyone who was skeptical were as surprised as I was. The wing is really maneuverable and rather fast for the indoors (or is it I am too slow for it?). I used 5 gram servos and an 800 Mah battery that was laying around. I paid under $30.00 for the kit--what a bargain.

Ron
doublebuck is offline Find More Posts by doublebuck
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:42 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
I have my 35 inch pop wing set up now. Not yet flown. I could not get the servos to work in the right order using my dx6i. I've tried everything. I've got it sort of working but I think I need a servo revers gadget to get it set up 100% correct. Also I put on the prop the way it looked like it should go and it didn't produce much thrust. I put the prop on backwards (at least to my eyes) and it produced a lot more thrust. Anyway, I'll try to fly it tonight.

Is it a good idea to cover the leading edge with goop or something to help protect it or make it more crash resistant?
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:07 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
I've got it sort of working...

And you're going to try and fly it with things "sort of" working?

Sounds like a recipe for a crash.

Your DX6i should be able to do elevon mixing no problem. It's just a matter of the right combination--servo connections at Rx (ail & elev.), servo reversing, etc.

Make sure you have some up reflex set on your elevons or she'll dive for the deck right after the launch. About 1/8 - 1/4" to start with and fine tune from there.

Good luck!
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:38 PM
Mr. Magoo's Co-Pilot
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Sep 2009
1,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post

Make sure you have some up reflex set on your elevons or she'll dive for the deck right after the launch. About 1/8 - 1/4" to start with and fine tune from there.

Good luck!
This YOU TUBE video talks about not enough throw for elevon on a DX6i unless the two mix settings (mix 1 & 2) are used to get 100% aileron/elevator throw. I did this with my Dx6i to get more throw -. But when I launch I have to put in quite a bit of up elevator to avoid the nose dive. So is there another way to get REFLEX besides using one of the mixes?

How to: Dx6i with elevon mixing to get 125% throw (9 min 0 sec)
GRUMPEE is offline Find More Posts by GRUMPEE
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:34 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUMPEE View Post
So is there another way to get REFLEX besides using one of the mixes?

You can add reflex mechanically--just adjust the elevon linkage so each control surface is UP about 1/8 - 1/4" with the servo in the neutral position.

I like about 3/4" of throw on both elevons in all directions.
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70