HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2011, 09:46 AM
Joined Dec 2009
33 Posts
Discussion
tryin to make the hoverwing

Hey, does anyone know if I should cut more or bigger holes in the bottom to give this more lift? It hovers a little on the carpet. I'm using grayson mega for lift and exceede 480 with 10" prop and 2 30amp esc. 2 2650mah batt. I'm almost ready to make the wings but I wanna get the lift to the "sweet spot". Any ideas will be helpful.
donnylove is offline Find More Posts by donnylove
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:14 AM
Joined Mar 2007
275 Posts
hoverwing

you say it hover a little whats a little,please can you show a pic of the underside of your craft
HoverTim is offline Find More Posts by HoverTim
Old Jan 31, 2011, 04:21 PM
Joined Dec 2009
33 Posts
I got plenty of holes for the skirt to fill up with air but I don't know if I should cut more on bottom
Old Jan 31, 2011, 04:25 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,476 Posts
i do not see any holes on the inner edge of your skirt, how is the air getting through the skirt?

derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Jan 31, 2011, 04:40 PM
Joined Dec 2009
33 Posts
Theres rectangle holes on the perimeter of bottom. I took it out today in the snow and it did pretty good. I'm glad I put a elevator on it. It wanted to nose down at start but when it got goin it needed alot of down to keep it from flippin up. It was fun though. I'll get video soon. One of the esc stopped working. Never again gonna buy towerpro. Those exceedes are nice.
Old Feb 01, 2011, 02:16 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,476 Posts
you could slave the elevator servo to the throttle channel, so throttle up = elevator down.
that would make controlling it a little easier.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Feb 03, 2011, 10:39 AM
Joined Dec 2009
33 Posts
hoverwing

just got wings on. stay tuned for video
Old Feb 03, 2011, 04:44 PM
Joined Dec 2009
33 Posts
hoverwing in snow

It was really windy for the maiden. I think I have to make the body longer.
rc hoverwing (4 min 34 sec)
Last edited by donnylove; Feb 05, 2011 at 08:57 PM. Reason: mis spelling
Old Feb 06, 2011, 02:21 PM
Joined Dec 2009
33 Posts
hover wing

added some stuff and hopefully will make a differance.
Old Feb 06, 2011, 07:42 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,521 Posts
I am not a wig expert, or even an intermediate, but I do not believe that you should have an elevator as pronounced as that. I do not think you should have one at all. A wig is n ot a plane. W.I.G. stands for Wing In Ground-effect. That is using the air pressure between the wing and the ground to "float" the craft. You do not need elevator control unless it is on a gyro. Also, there is no forward lift. The horizontal stabilizer picks the back up while the front is responsible for lifting most of the vehicle.

I might just have to give one of these a try.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:14 AM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Been thinking about one of these too. Actually, I am in the market for a real build of some kind. I started on a hovercraft twenty some odd years ago. I had purchased a 1974 Kawasaki three cylinder 2 stroke 750 for the powerplant. The cycle was fairly fun so the hovercraft never got started. The cycle was later stolen.

Perhaps you should fashion your craft after this successful real one. It has a large elevator far aft. The wig effect is only utilized at highspeed. A successful hovercraft design with a narrow nose might be in order first. Once you can get good forward controlled speed, then add an UC wing at the proper CG and at the proper speed for the ground effect to be of use to you.

http://www.hovercraft.com/content/in...index&cPath=53

Discovery Channel HD - Universal Hovercraft UH 19XRW Hoverwing™ Ground Effect Hovercraft (4 min 3 sec)

UH 18spw hovercraft Flying Hoverwing (0 min 19 sec)

Universal Hovercraft - UH-18SPW Hoverwing™ Flying Ground Effect Hovercraft (1 min 13 sec)

These have removable wings. You might get some ideas from the discovery vid
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Old Mar 11, 2011, 06:11 AM
MHA webmaster
United Kingdom, England, Reading
Joined Mar 2011
207 Posts
Have you looked at the general ekranoplan topic? There's loads of stuff in there about hoverwings. I think though that you need to decide what the purpose is of the hover function - do you intend to operate extensively in acv mode, or is it simply to provide aid to getting the craft into GE mode? If the former, then your skirt will need to be properly designed using the pressure ratio principle I would say, otherwise you'll find performance is a bit disappointing.
jpcwebb is offline Find More Posts by jpcwebb
Old May 30, 2012, 04:05 PM
Joined Dec 2011
60 Posts
do not want to try a wing?

qxev is offline Find More Posts by qxev
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:10 PM
Joined Dec 2011
60 Posts
путин на тридевятом царстве (2 min 51 sec)
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:55 AM
Joined Dec 2011
60 Posts
Box Wing In Ground (3 min 45 sec)