SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:49 AM
United States, CO, Louisville
Joined Jan 2011
75 Posts
This weekend was spent trying out my new Tandem Rescue RTF - and I'm hooked big-time! The heli trimmed pretty quickly with the included transmitter, and I can reliably hover in place. Coming from 3-ch helis is proving to be a bit of a chore - retraining my brain to have the rudder on the left stick is slowly coming along. At this point, I'm sort of flying drunkenly (but slowly!) around the living room, and see improvement with each flight. Am anxious for my mCX2 to arrive so I can add that to the mix!

So, I'm seeing the wisdom of getting a DX6i or DX7 transmitter; planning to expand my horizons with helis first, but also am interested in airplanes (when time, $$$, and spouse permit!). Both seem to be well-respected by folks on these forums. Looks like several used ones are available in my area. Before I jump into this, one question: I see there are "Airplane" and "Heli" versions of the DX7. Am I correct that these can function identically, but the "Air" version defaults to airplanes when selecting the model being programmed for, and the "Heli" version defaults to selecting from heli models? Anything I need to be aware of when purchasing a DX6i or DX7, so I don't paint myself into a corner I don't want to be in?

Thanks for your insights!
swlee is offline Find More Posts by swlee
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2011, 01:23 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swlee View Post
This weekend was spent trying out my new Tandem Rescue RTF - and I'm hooked big-time! The heli trimmed pretty quickly with the included transmitter, and I can reliably hover in place. Coming from 3-ch helis is proving to be a bit of a chore - retraining my brain to have the rudder on the left stick is slowly coming along. At this point, I'm sort of flying drunkenly (but slowly!) around the living room, and see improvement with each flight. Am anxious for my mCX2 to arrive so I can add that to the mix!

So, I'm seeing the wisdom of getting a DX6i or DX7 transmitter; planning to expand my horizons with helis first, but also am interested in airplanes (when time, $$$, and spouse permit!). Both seem to be well-respected by folks on these forums. Looks like several used ones are available in my area. Before I jump into this, one question: I see there are "Airplane" and "Heli" versions of the DX7. Am I correct that these can function identically, but the "Air" version defaults to airplanes when selecting the model being programmed for, and the "Heli" version defaults to selecting from heli models? Anything I need to be aware of when purchasing a DX6i or DX7, so I don't paint myself into a corner I don't want to be in?

Thanks for your insights!
The tandem rescue is a totally different animal than the mcx2.
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Mar 01, 2011, 02:35 AM
United States, CO, Louisville
Joined Jan 2011
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
The tandem rescue is a totally different animal than the mcx2.
Got to fly my Tandem Rescue in the atrium at my office after work today - it's definitely nice to have more volume to practice in! I'm feeling more and more comfortable with each flight, so am hoping whatever piloting skills I'm gaining on the Tandem will transfer to the mCX2 when it arrives. I'm expecting (and looking forward to) them behaving differently!

BTW - I found some some good threads which address my questions about transmitters (heli vs airplane models, etc.). So - I apologize for derailing this thread onto that topic ...
swlee is offline Find More Posts by swlee
Old Mar 04, 2011, 09:50 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2010
536 Posts
OK I searched this thread as best I could and cannot find a similar problem. I picked up a dx6i today and bound it to my Tandem. Within 10 seconds of flight I had no aileron control. There was a burnt/ozone smell coming from the board so I pulled the battery and started looking for the problem. What seems to happen is that when I put the battery in, the servo motor pulls the slider bit all the way down the track and it stays there. It wont move with input from either the dx6i or the stock rtf tx. With the battery out I can move the large gear and get the slider all the way up in the track. When I put power to the board though it pulls it all the way down and it stays there. Any chance I can swap the servo and fix it or does this sound like a 5 in 1 issue?
slim1357 is offline Find More Posts by slim1357
Old Mar 04, 2011, 09:53 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim1357 View Post
OK I searched this thread as best I could and cannot find a similar problem. I picked up a dx6i today and bound it to my Tandem. Within 10 seconds of flight I had no aileron control. There was a burnt/ozone smell coming from the board so I pulled the battery and started looking for the problem. What seems to happen is that when I put the battery in, the servo motor pulls the slider bit all the way down the track and it stays there. It wont move with input from either the dx6i or the stock rtf tx. With the battery out I can move the large gear and get the slider all the way up in the track. When I put power to the board though it pulls it all the way down and it stays there. Any chance I can swap the servo and fix it or does this sound like a 5 in 1 issue?
Sounds like a burnt FET. This is usually caused by plugging a battery in backwards.

A new 5:1 would be required.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Mar 05, 2011, 12:00 AM
Joined Dec 2010
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Sounds like a burnt FET. This is usually caused by plugging a battery in backwards.

A new 5:1 would be required.
That never happened. A new 5 in 1?
That sucks. I got a brand new DX6i and three broken helis.
Old Mar 05, 2011, 12:23 AM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim1357 View Post
That never happened. A new 5 in 1?
That sucks. I got a brand new DX6i and three broken helis.
contact your lhs and tell them what happened. They may replace it for you. If they don't, contact horizon hobby and tell them what happened. They are good people.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Mar 05, 2011, 01:18 AM
Joined Dec 2010
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay View Post
contact your lhs and tell them what happened. They may replace it for you. If they don't, contact horizon hobby and tell them what happened. They are good people.
I will contact horizon.I bought the heli on a trip in another state and dont have a receipt. I might call because my last inquiry via email was met with a pretty unsatisfactory response.
Old Mar 06, 2011, 11:46 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,325 Posts
Excellent little flight.......new blades!

BladeTandemRescue.avi (2 min 57 sec)
Old Mar 06, 2011, 06:18 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
they sure are fun. nice flight jake!
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Mar 06, 2011, 06:41 PM
Michigan's U.P.
Joined Dec 2003
575 Posts
Tandems: Flying Bananas and Forest Fires, et al...

15 months ago, I was bitten by the micro heli bug, and it has changed my life forever! Nothing beats getting stick time in my family room. In just over a year I have put more time on the sticks flying my helis than the previous 10 years of flying my electric airplanes outdoors.

Jake, nice flight!

Nerm, I have adapted both 350 and 400 batteries to mine, but disguised them as forest fire control tanks slung under the fuselage.

I have had so much fun with this heli, particularly in mastering some of its strange flying quirks and adapting better batteries for longer flight times, that I had to do an article on it. (I have been contributing a column on micro helis to R/C Micro World for the last year describing my adventures and what I have learned.)

R/C Micro World just got back on line after unexpectedly losing its old server.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RC-Micro-World/

You can see a sample issue at the following link. And I think they are giving trial subscriptions at no cost, so you should be able to find my Tandem Rescue article next month, as I think they are doing a month lag on the sample issues. Check out "Heli Corner":

www.co-op-plans.info/rcmw/rcmw-visitor.pdf

Dick

Ps: I'll attach my cartoon of the "Flying Banana" and a shot of my Tandem with forest fire control tank slung under the CG. The "Flying Banana" label attached to the father of tandem helis earliest work. Frank Piasecki was this pioneer's name. He flew the second successful American heli, following Igor Sikorsky's lead. When I heard that label, I HAD to draw a cartoon!
Dick Adams is offline Find More Posts by Dick Adams
Last edited by Dick Adams; Mar 06, 2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2011, 10:50 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,325 Posts
Thanks
Old Mar 09, 2011, 10:11 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,325 Posts
My Tandem with Force Blades.

Old Mar 12, 2011, 04:50 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,325 Posts
Put on some blades for the Force Shooting Helicopters. More stable and nice hovering, plus they look better than the solid black blades.

Blade Tandem Rescue 4.avi (3 min 12 sec)
Old Mar 12, 2011, 05:09 AM
Michigan's U.P.
Joined Dec 2003
575 Posts
Sleepless in O'Fallon?

So someone else is sleepless, too, eh? The start of your video just about woke up everyone in my house!

Jake, you really are doing a nice job flying your Tandem. I see very little sign of the classic "drunken hippo" flight characteristics. Did I see a fast pivot turn around the front rotor axis??

I will have to try those blades. How are they different than the stock blades? Could you include a link??

Thanks,

Dick
Dick Adams is offline Find More Posts by Dick Adams