|Sep 11, 2012, 04:15 PM|
2012 holiday electric fly - geneva ohio dec 7-8-9
201 HOLIDAY ELECTRIC FLY and R/C EXPO (NE OHIO)
Indoor flying at the SPIRE INSTITUTE sports complex's olympic-size track and field building.
The 2012 Holiday Electric Fly and R/C Expo is on for this year!
First full weekend in December, starting Friday afternoon Dec 7th, all day Saturday, and Sunday until about 3pm.
An AMA-sanctioned electric flying event, sponsored by HORIZON Hobby, LAZERTOYZ, and hosted by the MARCS club of NE Ohio
Event Flyer: http://www.hef-rcexpo.com/images/Ele...er3-2sides.pdf
Here's a quick 1min video showing off the view from the balcony (from 2010):
2010 - we had 107 registered pilots and more than 400 models a the very first HEF event.
2011 - we had 214 registered pilots and more than 600 models.
We may already be one of the country's largest indoor events!
Last year with more than 200 pilots, we had NO WAITING, NO LINES to FLY, AND PLENTY OF ROOM. The pilot's pit area was busy, but there's lots of room for everyone to spread out.
2012 - we can handle 350+ pilots and 1000+ airplanes. NO PROBLEM.
Event CD: Tony Husak at: email@example.com
Here is some info about the 2012 HEF RC Expo:
- Lot of Fun events, including full-contact combat and special events for micros
- Vendors will be there with all sorts of cool stuff for Christmas!
- TEN flight stations at the HUGE main racetrack flying area - and separate flying areas for 3D and Micro airplanes
- 600 feet long x 300 feet wide main stadium under one roof - 240,000 square feet the main racetrack flying area is football-field size (360 x 160 feet). The 3D flying area is 150 x 40 feet using the track for landing with those tiny wheels. The ceiling reaches 70-foot at the highest point with indirect lighting. The football field has artificial grass turf and is surrounded by a real 8-lane Olympic track and an extra 100 feet at each end. The 10 pilot stations in the main flying area are along the long side of the field near the grandstand.
- Large Pit Area for pilots with tables and some electricity - please bring extension cords
- Pilot prizes are awarded continuously, plus we'll have some prizes for flying contests
- Big MARCS club annual raffle - the prizes will be awarded at this event!
- FOOD DRIVE for Charity - bring at least 3 cans and receive a FREE raffle ticket to the big MARCS raffle.
- Climate controlled inside, free parking outside (sorry, no camping in the parking lot)
- Grandstand seats 5000+ spectators!
- There is a concession stand - and Spire has it's own Sports Cafeteria called "FUEL" located at the Olympic Swimming facilty adjacent to the building we're in.
- Nearby motels - and there is a Wendy's, McDonalds, Pizza Hut, and two restaurants across the main road nearby.
- Geneva OH is at the Rt 534 exit on I-90, and the venue is very close to the exit (Geneva is about 1hr east from Cleveland OH or 1hr west of Erie PA, and about 1.5 hours north of Pittsburgh)
- Note, planned demos will not shut down flying, unlike at many other events. We promise to keep the disruptions from the contests to a minimum.
- Several contests are planned, including full-contact combat ($5 fee, pot to the winner), micro carrier, pylon races, Musical Airplanes and others TBD or we'll do them on the fly. Some of these events will require a shut down of open flying for short periods of time, but most will not. The large 3D and Micro areas are separate, so their events will not affect the main flying area! FOR MORE INFO, PLEASE CHECK THE OTHER THREADS!!
- No food or drink allowed on the track floor, must remain in grandstand area.
- No combustion engines allowed
- We have separate areas for 3D aircraft, and a separate Helicopters and Micro area for safe flying.
- Flying Model weight limit: 16oz with battery - Largest motor size : airplanes 300, helicopters 250 NOTE: exceptions are possible but require approval and permission of the event CD
- early birds on Friday will have to endure set-up of tables, etc
- "bring your own" safe container for charging Lithum-Polymer batteries
- Register early on the HEF website with Paypal, or pay at the door.
- AMA membership card required for pilots. In order to be allowed on the main floor (where the pilots are) everyone must sign waiver forms, even if they are not pilots. See registration area for more information.
Please post pictures if you attended last year!!
Here's a link to the pictures page on the HEF website - there are a LOT so allow time for them to load:
|Sep 16, 2012, 07:33 PM|
Joined Aug 2011
Pictures of Holiday Electric Fly 2011
Here are the pictures taken at the Holiday Electric Fly in 2011. It was a great time with over 240 pilots attending.
|Sep 16, 2012, 07:53 PM|
Joined Aug 2011
Pictures of Holiday Electric Fly 2011
I tried to upload more than 150 pics on the last thread / Sorry. Here are the pics.
|Sep 16, 2012, 07:57 PM|
Joined Aug 2011
Here are the rest of the pics.
|Sep 17, 2012, 04:53 AM|
Looking forward to this event, the "Musical Planes" (like musical chairs, last to land is out) event was a blast.
|Sep 18, 2012, 06:00 PM|
Just got back from NEAT and now we have to stock up for HEF, Can't wait, it is a fun show for us and so close to hom.
The best part is it is inside and warm, no cold dome to worry about- and great food at the cafeteria!
Hope we see everyone there.
Diane & Dan
|Oct 01, 2012, 02:54 PM|
Full contact combat
Don't get too hung up on the rules - fly anything you want but there is a 1000mah battery size limit. Due to a restricted flying area (for excitement) the successful contestant will have a relatively small and highly manueverable plane.
Heavier planes with big motors can't turn sharp enough, and will quickly die out.
However they make great targets!
Just bring a junky plane to fly. We won't allow knives, guns, missles, or anything like that.
The object of course, is to fly in a small area and try to knock your opponent out of the sky. The last pilot flying wins the entire pool of money from the $5 entry fee. We'll do it on Saturday, and again on Sunday!
|Oct 08, 2012, 12:03 PM|
Can you bring large airplanes? You bet.
Here are some pictures from the Rabid Models hanger area from the 2011 HEF. All of the bombers that you see here have 8-foot wingspans. And - they weigh less than 4 pounds all-up. There is plenty of room for large birds, but you'll need approval from the CD in order to fly them. Obviously these kinds of planes need to be extremely light in order to negotiate the airspace and they must be thoroughly test-flown before this event. For more information, please contact me.
|Oct 09, 2012, 05:04 PM|
Does the flying really start at noon on Friday? Or earlier? Trying to deide if I want to drive from Detroit on Friday morning or Thursday night.
|Oct 09, 2012, 07:57 PM|
Flying on Friday
hi there Pete,
On Friday the crew will be setting up the event first thing in the morning. Our vendors will be unloading and setting up their displays. We'll be putting out the tables, flight stations, signs, electric, fences and so on. The event is officially open for flying at noon.
Now - there will be people there early and it won't be a surprise if some "early birds" do a little bit of "test flying". Please understand that since this is an official AMA event, we have safety considerations and so on. Starting early is like swimming in the pool without a lifeguard. The area needs to be secure (and clear) before we start letting people fly. Unfortunately I can't promise that we'll be open for business before noon, but.. knowing how things are, chances are good that we'll open a bit early. I hope that you understand.
There are some benefits to getting there early. You'll get in quickly, and you'll be able to get your stuff unloaded and set up (and claim your favorite spot). Friday will be relatively laid back and you'll enjoy a relatively calm and un-busy atmosphere for a while! We'll have a LOT more people flying on Saturday! (But the place is so large, it never seems crowded.)
|Nov 06, 2012, 09:29 AM|
The facility is incredible and the crew did a great job running the show last year. The Fuel cafeteria is also unbelievable. I had shark for dinner on Saturday last year
I'll be bringing my son along this year (if he can manage to have passing grades in English by then)
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Discussion DEC 2011 HOLIDAY ELECTRIC FLY & RC EXPO (HEF) - Geneva OH||themudduck||Electric Flight Events||153||Feb 15, 2012 01:51 PM|
|Yippee! 3 day indoor- Holiday Electric Fest In Geneva, Ohio||Diane@lazertoyz||The Huriots RC Sport Flyers Club||0||Nov 28, 2011 11:59 AM|
|Yippee! 3 day indoor- Holiday Electric Fest In Geneva, Ohio||Diane@lazertoyz||State College Radio Control Club (SCRC)||0||Nov 28, 2011 11:58 AM|
|Discussion Holiday Fest Geneva Ohio||Diane@lazertoyz||AAGMC (American Airlines Gas Model Club)||0||Nov 28, 2011 11:48 AM|
|Discussion Holiday Electric Fly & EXPO-GENEVA OH DEC 3,4,5||themudduck||Electric Flight Events||49||Dec 16, 2010 12:44 PM|