HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2003, 04:58 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2001
718 Posts
Hanger 9 Edge 540 at MWE

I have posted a video of my Edge flown at MWE this past weekend. The Edge is powered by 2 Hacker B50 10XL motors, Innerdemon gear drive, 12S4P-1950 ThunderPower LiPoly cells, and a 20x10 apc-e prop. This system pulls around 50 amps giving my 2000watts of power in a 14 ½ pound plane! . Not only am I getting 2-10 minute flights on one charge but with the LiPoly cells the plane is only about a pound heavier then the glow version. I have been flying Electric planes for a lot of years and still can’t believe I am getting unlimited performance for 20 minutes.

http://www.rccraze.com/mweedge.mpg
fbw4 is offline Find More Posts by fbw4
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2003, 08:03 PM
17 years on RCG!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 1996
3,097 Posts
All I can say is wow, Aero-Model/Hackerbrushless put on one HECK of a show at MWE this year!

The Edge looked sharp as Edges do Excellent work fbw4!

I think the new Thunder Power LiPos helped steal the show. Last year, seeing a bird like this fly for 5 minutes was great. Now, it weighs less, has more power and can get 20 minute flight times! Glow guys, eat your hearts out!

For those who want to see more specific stats on the TP cells, check em out here:

http://www.flightenergy.com

How about converting the new 80" Hangar 9 Cap?

My next plank project is the U Can Do conversion. I was sad to see the 77 amp ESC go up in smoke at MWE, but at least I got to see it fly. Unfortunately, I re-kitted my Logo 20 at the show and couldnt buy the motor/gear, but that just gives me an excuse to wait for the new C50 motors....those are sweet!

fbw4 - do you run 2 ESCs?

Jason
Jason M is offline Find More Posts by Jason M
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2003, 11:26 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2001
718 Posts
"do you run 2 ESCs?"
I am using 2 Hacker Master 77 esc

I have posted a 19mb video of the Hacker Teams Noon Demo at:

http://www.rccraze.com/noondemo.mpg
Old Feb 19, 2003, 02:37 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,207 Posts
2 Hacker B50 XLs and related 77amp controllers.......uh and a bazillion dollars worth of LiPOs. Man, that has got to be the most expensive H9 Edge in existance!

Any chance of you telling us what it cost?

Wiz
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old Feb 19, 2003, 04:28 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2001
718 Posts
If the wife is asking how much, the usual answer is a 50$ box of wood. The real numbers add up like this:
Hanger 9 Edge 540 ARF 359$
2 Hacker B50 10 XL motors 638$
2 Hacker Master 77 ECS 398$
5 Hitec Digital servos 245$
4 3S4P ThunderPower Lipoly packs 600$
InnerDemon GearDrive 84$
Misc.(prop,spinner,servos extentions)100$
Total 2424$

Of course you need a second battery pack so lets call it an even 3000$ Is that to much for a toy plane?
Old Feb 19, 2003, 04:39 PM
Peoria,AZ
Joined Aug 2002
67 Posts
The end result Priceless
tlime is offline Find More Posts by tlime
Old Feb 19, 2003, 05:03 PM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fbw4
InnerDemon GearDrive 84$
If they knew how much you were willing to pay for the rest of it you would have been charged more for the gearbox

Mike
Mike Seale is online now Find More Posts by Mike Seale
Old Feb 19, 2003, 05:14 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,207 Posts
Quote:
Of course you need a second battery pack so lets call it an even 3000$ Is that to much for a toy plane?
Nope. Not al all.

Just for comparison, 3 grand is about tripple what I spent on a glow powered version of the very same plane. I used JR digital servos and an O.S. 1.60. If I had it to do over I might be tempted to go electric....I hated the O.S. 1.60.

Thanks for answering the question!

Say, what do you use to charge that big LiPo pack and how long does it take to charge it?

Wiz
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old Feb 19, 2003, 05:18 PM
Naperville, IL USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fbw4

<snip>

so lets call it an even 3000$ Is that to much for a toy plane?

That's just shy of my total R/C expenditures to date!
Although I've only been at it a couple of years, that figure for one plane bowls me over.

But, thanks for being someone willing to invest in the hobby like this. For one it lets me see an amazing plane. And, two, getting the costs down on equipment like this requires early adopters/pioneers like you to take a chance to get the ball rolling.

Thanks for the video, it was very enjoyable.

Mitch
Mitch G is offline Find More Posts by Mitch G
Old Feb 19, 2003, 10:24 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
Quote:
so lets call it an even 3000$ Is that to much for a toy plane?
Ehhhh...it's only money...ya always get more of it next payday, and hey...ya can't take it with you.
Besides, if you don't spend it, it just starts piling up and cluttering up the place.

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Old Feb 19, 2003, 11:06 PM
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Feb 2002
2,136 Posts
Frank
Great plane! I think the video really doesn't do it justice -- you can't see full vertical and the vertical acceleration.

I really want those Lipos for my Extra. From a cost, duration standpoint, I would need 3 sets of 40 cell 2600 zapped. That would pay for the Lipos.

Good seeing you again.

- Kyle
kmashima is offline Find More Posts by kmashima
Old Feb 20, 2003, 09:48 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,278 Posts
The Hacker Show Team did put on one superb demonstration of how far electric flight has come in the last year. Many of the models they flew out performed glow planes! One other aspect you may want to include in your list was the charger.
Perhaps this should be in another thread of it's own or even another forum but it's part of the Edge's power system. Heres an example of that hard working charging station. I counted 12 chargers working at once. The three on the left on the top shelf are lab quality power supplies at ~$500 each. This was explained to me by one of the battery watchers. You also can see four 12V car batteries wired in parallel to supply the energy for everything sitting on the tailgate.

What you don't see is the two large wheeled auto battery chargers out of the frame to the left. They in turn were being fed their breakfast, lunch, and dinner by that noisy gas engine fired generator there! Quite an impressive charging station, good job Hacker Team!!!!
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Last edited by GregG; Feb 20, 2003 at 09:54 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2003, 10:48 AM
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,368 Posts
Frank,

LOL! I use a similar excuse on my wife.

Thanks for the information and photo of the Edge 540. It is one of my favorite designs so maybe i'll have one in the future. Yours looks and flies fantastic!

Regards.
Greg Covey is offline Find More Posts by Greg Covey
Old Feb 20, 2003, 12:38 PM
(Batteries not included.)
Mesa AZ
Joined Jun 2001
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GregG
{snip}
Quite an impressive charging station, good job Hacker Team!!!!
Hey!
I think more people took a picture of the back of my truck than they did of my planes! Oh well....

I was supporting 8 pilots and almost 30 planes all weekend at my Ford F150 mobile charging station. There was no A/C available at the site so I had to run the generator to keep up with the demand for electrons. Along with all that charging equipment I also hauled 11 planes in the back of the truck.

A large fire extinguisher was always nearby for safety and no one went wanting for more juice.

Dave Wenzlick
Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft is offline Find More Posts by Dave Wenzlick / Slickraft
Old Feb 20, 2003, 03:11 PM
Fly Every Day
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined Apr 2001
800 Posts
What took so long!

Ok, you got me working on my lunch hour!

MaxCim MEGAMax3.7-3Y; same battery pack 12S4P; 22x10 prop = 90° at 51A.
Weight = +.5lb.
Cost = $859.99 vs $1120

Seems like a difference that will pay for quite some batteries.
Direct drive is much less risk and more reliable at these sizes.

Who will be the first to try?

Remember, Keith Shaw demoed the ability to hover and torque roll a 15lb MEGAMax powered plane at the 1997 KRC!
pmmartin is offline Find More Posts by pmmartin